Node 202 Power led change/dim/swap?

shlammed

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Nov 28, 2019
Hey guys,

just finished up my node202 build and im using it as an HTPC. The power LED is far too bright in the dim room when watching anything. is there a way to dim the light?

Build:
Node 202 w. 450wpsu
AsRock Fatal1ty B450
Ryzen7 2700
G.Skill Ripjaws V, 16gb
MSI 1660 super (picking up today to replace other video card)

thanks,
Matt

deeree

Trash Compacter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 4, 2017
Just solder a resistor to the PWLED+ wire. Something around 500-1k Ohms should do the trick.

shlammed

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Nov 28, 2019
that was what i was thinking, but i didnt want to overload the motherboard if its not meant to have a resistor on the LED.

Frung

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
Put a piece of self adhesive post-it note paper on the metal part of the case hanging over the led and then close the case. You can put more layers with different colors to tweak it to your liking. I put 3 layers of blue semi transparent post-it, it was nicely diffused and the right intensity.

Reactions: shlammed

shlammed

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Nov 28, 2019
Put a piece of self adhesive post-it note paper on the metal part of the case hanging over the led and then close the case. You can put more layers with different colors to tweak it to your liking. I put 3 layers of blue semi transparent post-it, it was nicely diffused and the right intensity.
thanks, yeah i was hoping for something a little more controllable.

i was wondering if there is an LED extension wire i could modify with a resistor so i dont screw up the case wire. the 202 has that proprietary panel that the wire is part of that i really dont want to screw up.

would i be able to wire the led into one of the motherboard RGB headers to control it that way for the power control? i dont have anything RGB in the system but there are far fewer wires for the power led from RGB systems. sorry forwhat could be a silly question, i havent done anything RGB before and dont intend to, its really not my thing. (now i need to figure out how to turn it off on my MSI 1660s)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
that was what i was thinking, but i didnt want to overload the motherboard if its not meant to have a resistor on the LED.

That's really not how it works. It'll simply dim the led.

I won't go into details, but tldr; pwrled header is typically 3.3V and current limited, hence no way to 'overload' it.

Snip one of the two cable that goes to pwrled header. Solder a resistor to go between the snipped parts. Or a small potentiometer if you want to control the brightness.