Cooling Noctua Secufirm2 clamp touches memory

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
I am installing a Noctua cooler (NH-C14S) with their Secufirm 2 system. One clamp comes into contact with the heatsink of my GSkill Trident Z RGB memory (due to the ram's 'thick' heatsink!) and pushes on it very slightly, causing the memory not in a 90 degree vertical position but inclines very very slightly. I wonder on the long-term effect of such a pressure on the memory slot.

So, does anyone have a similar situation with a Noctua Secufirm 2 on his Asus Z170/270/370i Gaming motherboard?

Edit 1
Well, I am impatient to see what you guys' experience are and so I go ahead and use a steel file to remove about 0.5 to 1mm material from the apex of the curve. Now, the clamp does not touch the memory heatsink. Problem solved!
If you had a similar situation before and solved it in some other way, please share in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I've never had an issue with coolers putting weird angles on memory - and there's been a fair bit of it over the years with non compliant boards/memory :/

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
I am thinking Noctua Secufirm system is quite popular and common among ITX mobos. And, I assume the socket position/ four heatsink mounting holes with respect to the distance to the memory slot is the same from Z170/270/370/390. So, I am expecting someone would have faced a similar situation. And, GSkill Trident Z ram are quite common as well.

I would be surprised if Asus Z390i Gaming is out of spec. And I would be even more surprised if my particular mobo is out of spec. I checked Noctua website which says NH-C14S is compatible with this mobo. Obviously, it is correct as far as if one uses naked memory modules (without heatsink) or modules with thinner heatsink.

This is the first obstacle or rather my first lesson learned when dealing with an ITX mobo. Every mm counts and it is better to double and triple check all potential physical conflict. In hindsight, I would rather buy a thinner ram kit (eg Kingston Fury or Savage) without RGB to keep the memory module thickness down to normal.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
why dont you sand the secufirm's touching point? just a little bit...
I suppose you did not read my entire post as I did say at the bottom of my first post that this is exactly what I did to solve it.:p