Motherboard BIOSTAR B660T-SILVER - a quick look & review

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
most of you probably wouldn't have touched another BIOSTAR motherboard after the experience I had with the B660GTN but hey, everyone deserves a second chance and with the B660T-SILVER, BIOSTAR did indeed a better job...

taking it out of the box, I quickly noticed that the B660GTN and B660T are technically the exact same motherboards, just with a few important differences: the B660T-SILVER does have a larger VRM heatsink and the stupidly designed I/O plastic cover was removed, instead we now have a good old traditional I/O shield in black/silver...

20221208_140950.jpg

same like the B660GTN, the B660T does not come with WiFi but only the assembly parts to install your own WiFi adapter...

Screenshot 2022-12-09 151217.jpg

anyways, this goes nice and easy now because you do not have to remove any useless plastic covers from the board to reach the WiFi M.2 slot...

the top M.2 SSD / chipset heatsink is still pretty simple, just comes in silver anodized aluminum instead of black... for me personally that's fine because I'm still using PCIe Gen 3 SSDs which do not tend to get very hot... plus I'm using air cooling so there will be enough airflow around that area...

20221208_142032.jpg

here's another shot, showing the VRM heatsinks - nothing fancy but sufficient to run a 65W / 125W CPU at stock settings

Screenshot 2022-12-09 143807.jpg

another difference between the B660T and the B660GTN is the "hardware" BIOSTAR used... the B660GTN had some nice looking metal PCIe slot and blackisch CPU socket... but better appearance does not always mean better quality! the B660T-SILVER comes with quality sockets from LOTES while I didn't find any known manufacturer name on the slot/socket that were used for the B660GTN...

Screenshot 2022-12-09 144307.jpg

next up, let's have a quick look at the BIOS/UEFI... and honestly there is not much to say... everything works well enough out of the box, after setting your fan curves and XMP memory profile, but if you are looking for some nice overclocking features, that is not a board for you...

Screenshot 2022-12-09 145259.jpg

I even found a bug that my i5 12400 would be locked down to 400Mhz if I'd try to set custom PL1/PL2 wattage levels... so better keep everything at AUTO XD

Screenshot 2022-12-09 145326.jpg

now comes the best improvement BIOSTAR did against the B660GTN: my GPU finally fits and the I/O shield does actually match with the I/O case cutout!

20221209_115803.jpg

final words: the closest competition in terms of price and features is currently the AsRock H670M-ITX/ax and unless you already have a WiFi module for the BIOSTAR board lying around, AsRock would probably be the overall smarter choice for a medium budget build...

Screenshot 2022-12-09 150124.jpg

last but not least... BIOSTAR gives you a 4 year warranty if you register your board online - now I hope it will really last that long :p

1670592991191.png

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
That's more like it! A bit better thought through and fewer flash bits that are a waste of effort.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

ricardasauer

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 20, 2022
most of you probably wouldn't have touched another BIOSTAR motherboard after the experience I had with the B660GTN but hey, everyone deserves a second chance and with the B660T-SILVER, BIOSTAR did indeed a better job...

taking it out of the box, I quickly noticed that the B660GTN and B660T are technically the exact same motherboards, just with a few important differences: the B660T-SILVER does have a larger VRM heatsink and the stupidly designed I/O plastic cover mapquest directions was removed, instead we now have a good old traditional I/O shield in black/silver...

View attachment 2168

same like the B660GTN, the B660T does not come with WiFi but only the assembly parts to install your own WiFi adapter...

View attachment 2179

anyways, this goes nice and easy now because you do not have to remove any useless plastic covers from the board to reach the WiFi M.2 slot...

the top M.2 SSD / chipset heatsink is still pretty simple, just comes in silver anodized aluminum instead of black... for me personally that's fine because I'm still using PCIe Gen 3 SSDs which do not tend to get very hot... plus I'm using air cooling so there will be enough airflow around that area...

View attachment 2171

here's another shot, showing the VRM heatsinks - nothing fancy but sufficient to run a 65W / 125W CPU at stock settings

View attachment 2174

another difference between the B660T and the B660GTN is the "hardware" BIOSTAR used... the B660GTN had some nice looking metal PCIe slot and blackisch CPU socket... but better appearance does not always mean better quality! the B660T-SILVER comes with quality sockets from LOTES while I didn't find any known manufacturer name on the slot/socket that were used for the B660GTN...

View attachment 2175

next up, let's have a quick look at the BIOS/UEFI... and honestly there is not much to say... everything works well enough out of the box, after setting your fan curves and XMP memory profile, but if you are looking for some nice overclocking features, that is not a board for you...

View attachment 2176

I even found a bug that my i5 12400 would be locked down to 400Mhz if I'd try to set custom PL1/PL2 wattage levels... so better keep everything at AUTO XD

View attachment 2177

now comes the best improvement BIOSTAR did against the B660GTN: my GPU finally fits and the I/O shield does actually match with the I/O case cutout!

View attachment 2178

final words: the closest competition in terms of price and features is currently the AsRock H670M-ITX/ax and unless you already have a WiFi module for the BIOSTAR board lying around, AsRock would probably be the overall smarter choice for a medium budget build...

View attachment 2180

last but not least... BIOSTAR gives you a 4 year warranty if you register your board online - now I hope it will really last that long :p

View attachment 2173
Thanks for the review!.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

dpj

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 19, 2024
Hello, nice to see your photo's. I'm thinking to buy this motherboard, but i'm a little suprised. I was thinking 2 nvme slots where available, but on your photo i just see 1 slot.
I would like to use 1 slot for nvme memory, and 1 for an adapter with sata connectors. Is this possible with this board?

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
Hello, nice to see your photo's. I'm thinking to buy this motherboard, but i'm a little suprised. I was thinking 2 nvme slots where available, but on your photo i just see 1 slot.
I would like to use 1 slot for nvme memory, and 1 for an adapter with sata connectors. Is this possible with this board?
On the product page they list a second slot on the back (1 x PCIe M.2 4.0(64Gb/s) / SATAIII 6Gb/s).

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

like @rcodi said, the second slot is on the backside... unfortunately only this one supports SATA, so you would probably need an M.2 riser cable if you want to use an M.2 to SATA adapter board

1708413898126.png

1708413932981.png

Reactions: rcodi