Noctua NF-A12x25 22 mm 3D Printed Frame with Magnetic Pogo Pins

eedev

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 23, 2020
Hey mate!

The story behind this is that I had sanded down a few 25 mm fans to use them in my build but I wasn't satisfied with the result.

Since I have bought a 3D printer I felt like tinkering with these and this is the result.

It uses 2 magnetic pogo pins (https://aliexpress.com/item/4000364190719.html), this way you can daisy chain the fans.

Links:

Let's be clear, I'm not saying you should do this. It's just what I felt like doing.

I hope you'll like this mod.
See you! 🤟

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
How about performance? I would guess that part of the performance is related the housing itself?

eedev

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 23, 2020
How about performance? I would guess that part of the performance is related the housing itself?
I have no idea! 😂

There could be several things:
  • I removed 2 mm of the height
  • The back of the housing is different (the X holding the fan inside the frame)
  • Noctua uses Sterrox because it doesn't deform as quick as regular plastic
I'm not going to compare to be honest! But it sounds the same to my ears and after a 1 hour gaming session today the temperature delta is not worse than how it was with my NF-A12x15 so I'm keeping them like this 😁

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
What material did you use for printing? Seems shiny, so it should be PETG or?
I am stealing your idea for future tinkering on how to fit TX240 inside Sliger SM550 :)

Reactions: eedev

eedev

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 23, 2020
What material did you use for printing? Seems shiny, so it should be PETG or?
I am stealing your idea for future tinkering on how to fit TX240 inside Sliger SM550 :)
Yes, I only have PLA and PETG on hand and PETG will withstand temperature better.
Let me know if you make something cool :)

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I have no idea! 😂

There could be several things:
  • I removed 2 mm of the height
  • The back of the housing is different (the X holding the fan inside the frame)
  • Noctua uses Sterrox because it doesn't deform as quick as regular plastic
I'm not going to compare to be honest! But it sounds the same to my ears and after a 1 hour gaming session today the temperature delta is not worse than how it was with my NF-A12x15 so I'm keeping them like this 😁

Sounding the same is a big victory. Noctua does do some shaping on the duct that I presume was for acoustics. The A12x15s are decent slim fans, but the hum above 1k RPM is annoying

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
@eedev how were the modded fans doing during long-term usage? Have you noticed any plastic deformation or other issues?

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
No idea how I missed this post before but I LOVE this idea. Keen to hear your response to above Qs from morj :)

Reactions: morj

eedev

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 23, 2020
👋

Last month, I entrusted my wife's best friend with the FormD T1 v1, knowing I wouldn't see this PC again for a while. Upon inspection, the fans were still functioning admirably, though in hindsight, there's room for enhancement in terms of bearing tightness and frame construction. Perhaps a sleek carbon print upgrade would add an extra touch of coolness for those inclined.

Reactions: SFFMunkee and morj