SFF.Network Noctua at Computex 2017

Noctua, a premium player in the cooling market, arrived at Computex 2017 with something new, something revised, and something just a bit... different.

Jakob Dellinger and the Noctua team have been tirelessly working towards a new standard in cooling, continuing work on their next generation A series fan. This 120mm fan has been a major project for Noctua, requiring the Austrian company to invest in significant equipment, from acoustic imaging tools to a plastic formulation not yet used in the PC world. Liquid Crystal Polymer is an interesting material, similar to kevlar in that the fibres are very organised throughout manufacturing...

Read more here.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Now all we need is a smaller hub.

Actually, I asked Jakob about that and the larger hub is actually beneficial to performance in this case. Here's his response to my question about whether a large hub affects performance:

"As for your technical questions, as you've probably suspected, there is no straightforward yes/no answer to it because it depends on various factors such as the fan's size, blade geometry and RPM, but it's definitely not the case that a big hub is generally "bad for airflow". The reason for this is that the angular velocity is very low close to the center of the fan so it generally produces very little airflow in this region as compared to the tips where the speed is high. When the fan is operating against back pressure such as on a heatsink or radiator, depending on the blade geometry, this can actually lead to situations where airflow is coming back trough the region close to the hub because there being so little pressure. This is the reason why we have chosen a fairly big hub for A12x15."

The only thing I didn't like was the very speckled colouring of the fan-blade. I hope it will be more in-line with their older products when it comes to uniformity in colour.

They'll try to reduce the effect for production, but it is an inherent property of the LCP material so it can't be eliminated completely.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Good to know; I guess I should have figured the low speed at the center would mean that it wouldn't make much of a difference for airflow. I had mainly been thinking about the fact the hub represents a flow deadzone.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Yeah, but I am gonna need the NF-A12x15 & the NF-A14x15 models in Black, and I would prefer Black anti-vibration pads please...

Well, if they don't ship as standard you can at least buy them extra.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, but I am gonna need the NF-A12x15 & the NF-A14x15 models in Black

They're considering it, but not anytime soon and it'll be dependent on how well they sell. So if you can afford to buy them twice and can put up with the "coffee and cream" color scheme in the meantime, be sure to buy them now or we'll have a chicken and egg problem.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Apparently you can get them to do any of their fans in black if you want to order 4000+ units. Anyone want to go in with me on a fat pile of black NF-A9x14 fans?

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
It's starting to feel like SFFN should start running group buys to get PSUs with our preferred cable harnesses and other components in black and/or white

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's starting to feel like SFFN should start running group buys to get PSUs with our preferred cable harnesses and other components in black and/or white

We feel the same way, but we just started discussing if it's feasible and how exactly it would work.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Apparently you can get them to do any of their fans in black if you want to order 4000+ units. Anyone want to go in with me on a fat pile of black NF-A9x14 fans?

Hehe,

I wouldn't to be honest. I've been brainwashed and I like the Noctua colors now. They stand out yeah, but like premium aftermarket components for my engine bay. If everything was all chrome under there it would be boring. :)

I do like their grey/charcoal scheme though...compromise?

XD

Peace

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
We feel the same way, but we just started discussing if it's feasible and how exactly it would work.
TBH, the feasibility on that front seems a bit dubious for most components. I know this community has grown a fair bit, but I have my doubts it's close to large enough to fill the MOQ on most things without a massive networking campaign and maybe even partnering with someone like Massdrop, and even then, I'm not sure.

Hehe,

I wouldn't to be honest. I've been brainwashed and I like the Noctua colors now. They stand out yeah, but like premium aftermarket components for my engine bay. If everything was all chrome under there it would be boring. :)

I do like their grey/charcoal scheme though...compromise?

XD

Peace
Well it wouldn't be so bad if PCBs were still green and cases were still beige.
I'm still waiting for SOMEONE to do an anniversary product that uses those age old colors.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
TBH, the feasibility on that front seems a bit dubious for most components. I know this community has grown a fair bit, but I have my doubts it's close to large enough to fill the MOQ on most things without a massive networking campaign and maybe even partnering with someone like Massdrop, and even then, I'm not sure.

Exactly, MOQ for things like a customized PSU is in the several thousands of units at least.

But it'd be a big service to the SFF community so we're looking into it.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
We approached them just last week about doing that and it wasn't something they were up for at all. They were open to custom fans if we wanted to bundle them with cases, but allowing us to offer them for sale individually was a nonstarter. I think they just want to keep total control of their retail presence and branding. They also don't OEM for other companies. Maybe you'd have better luck organizing it as a group buy, though.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well it wouldn't be so bad if PCBs were still green and cases were still beige.
I'm still waiting for SOMEONE to do an anniversary product that uses those age old colors.

Not green but there's this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9950/ces-2016-msi-golden-idea-for-motherboards

but allowing us to offer them for sale individually was a nonstarter. I think they just want to keep total control of their retail presence and branding.

Makes sense, they waste a crazy amount of money on packaging so obviously they really care about branding.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I obviously misunderstood what they said then. Kind of a drag that they are so insistent on keeping their good stuff on the shitty colour scheme. I'd really like to see them match the entire line in Redux colouring at the very least.

I

Ionrent

We approached them just last week about doing that and it wasn't something they were up for at all. They were open to custom fans if we wanted to bundle them with cases, but allowing us to offer them for sale individually was a nonstarter. I think they just want to keep total control of their retail presence and branding. They also don't OEM for other companies. Maybe you'd have better luck organizing it as a group buy, though.
How did Linus pull this off then?

http://www.ncix.com/detail/noctua-nf-f12-pwm-linus-tech-c7-119241.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/noctua-nf-a14-pwm-linus-tech-10-119243.htm

Maybe the exposure was worth the cross branding? Or maybe that experience led to their current stance?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
How did Linus pull this off then?
Yeah, I brought that up in the email exchange I had with Jakob. He didn't address it, just said they won't partner with anyone to offer customized fans for retail.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
No, they should be good for a slim fan but if you can fit the normal fans then they'll perform better.