SFF.Network Noctua at Computex 2017

Noctua, a premium player in the cooling market, arrived at Computex 2017 with something new, something revised, and something just a bit... different.

Jakob Dellinger and the Noctua team have been tirelessly working towards a new standard in cooling, continuing work on their next generation A series fan. This 120mm fan has been a major project for Noctua, requiring the Austrian company to invest in significant equipment, from acoustic imaging tools to a plastic formulation not yet used in the PC world. Liquid Crystal Polymer is an interesting material, similar to kevlar in that the fibres are very organised throughout manufacturing...

Read more here.

Last edited by a moderator:

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Your URL has a leading space that my browser doesn't like.

Anyways, good to see that AM4 brackets are on the way (never got why noctua does different versions for Intel and AMD in the first place, but then I'm not the fan guy). I'm stunned they are already about ready for SP3r.
Dat fan blade distance tho. If I'm not mistaken, reducing the gap also reduces tip vorticies. Now all we need is a smaller hub.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just to emphasize how impressive Noctua's new 120mm Crystal Polymer 120mm fan is, I want to explain a bit more about this photo:

On the right you can see two tower coolers, one with a single Crystal Polymer 120mm fan and the other with two are what I believe are NF-F12 fans. Guess which heatsink is running cooler...

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
My wallet let out a slight wimper when it noticed me looking at the new type of fan. :)
I hope they will see production in our life-time though. :p

MeltedCactus

Trash Compacter
May 7, 2017
Any idea when the slim 120mm fan is going to be available for purchase? I can't find it anywhere online from any American retailers.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The sheer work that seems to have gone into this new fan design, is impressive. Atleast I got the satisfaction of having paid a small part of this with each Noctua fan product I bought.

Reactions: Kwirek and cmyk78

mekky

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 20, 2015
I've been waiting for a good 70mm slim fan to go into my PC-C37 (which sitting by without use at the moment till those are available, unless I decide to go a low power build).

Also looking forward to seeing the models in action, but my wallet will weep... so much money spent on Noctua products already with ~6 different heatsinks across various builds and a good dozen or so fans.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
techpowerup.com said:
NF-A15, NF-A14, NF-F12, and NF-S12A

...they're forgetting to include the new NF-A12?! Hopefully that changes soon; or they introduce an IPPC fan based on it...

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Yeah yeah, new fans blah blah. BUT you know what's really exciting? BLACK FANS! Yes, finally Noctua has developed the technology to make their fans black. And you know what they say, "once you go black..."

These are exciting times we live in, I tell you what.

Okay late reading this as I'm catching up on all the articles but you got a LOL from me with this one. Noctua best and ugliest fans ever! I use the hell out of their stuff.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
In all seriousness though, those LCP fans do look pretty good. Noctua's probably one of the only companies doing real R&D that makes a tangible difference in performance. If these new fans are half as much of an improvement as they claim, they'll be quite impressive.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The LCP fan is AMAZING. I've actually posted on this once already, but I'm going to do it again because I was so impressed. The day we were at the booth talking to Jakob, they had two NH-U12S heatsinks running next to one another. One was running a single LCP prototype while the other was running what I believe were two NF-F12 fans in push-pull. In the photo I have the single fan was maintaining 58.0 C while the dual fan unit was 58.5 C. I deliberately hassled Jakob about making an LCP variant of the NF A9x14, but like any Noctua product it'll likely take a long time to come to market (but will obviously be worth it if/when it does).

Reactions: VegetableStu

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
The only thing I didn't like was the very speckled colouring of the fan-blade. I hope it will be more in-line with their older products when it comes to uniformity in colour.