Cooling NHL9x65 on higher-power CPU

rahl07

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
With vigorous airflow around this cooler and maintaining factory clock speeds, do you see any reason it cant handle gaming loads of 100-105W TDP? Something like a factory-clocked 2700X?

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Mar 11, 2019
Noctua has very detailed official CPU compatibility lists for all selling coolers, this link is the L9x65's.
You can notice that you have to purchase the mounting kit separately, and 2700x may not able to maintain boost clock on sustained 100% CPU loading.

rahl07

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
Thanks for the replies all.

Sorry I'm just now getting back.

Yes, I have the AM4-compatible version. The compatibility chart lists it as capable with sufficient airflow, as long as I don't OC. I have a FTZ01 with a 120mm fan blowing straight into the top of this cooler, and three 40mm fans taking waste heat out of the right end of the case. In its horizontal configuration, I have a 120mm Noctua 120x15 blowing down as an intake, the NHL9x65 mounted to the CPU which is currently a 2400G directly under that, and three 40mm fans stripping that hot air from the top-down layout out the side. Helps get the heat off of the VRM heatsink too.

There are two 120x15 fans on the GPU side, but since the case is "chambered" it doesn't really make much difference here.

What I'm trying to figure out is where I need to set my sights for Ryzen 3000, to see what can realistically be housed in this case. I'll also be looking into a more robust cooler eventually, but since there's an 83mm height restriction, I can't go too tall. I may go to a NH L12S eventually, with a scythe 120x12mm on top and reverse the factory noctua 120x15mm underneath in a push-pull configuration. Not sure. If anyone has any other recommendations, feel free to jump in.