Power Supply CPU + low power gpu brickless power solution

rawsh

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 24, 2018
So I'm looking at a small build with a fanless 1030 gddr5 and a ryzen 2700/2700x or possibly 9700k. I need 8 pin CPU input and atx power for that sweet sweet mini itx overclock/boost clocks, but nothing else since the 1030 is powered by the pcie slot. This is going to be packed into the laser3d ht5 case, so there should be room for a hdplex 160w ac-dc converter or something similar.

But here's the question. It looks like the hdplex 400w and 160w bricks are both out of stock, so I'm not sure what I can use for that purpose. Are there any alternatives?

Also, what direct plug DC-ATX power adapter has 8 pin cpu power? It looks like both the dynamo mini and hdplex 160w have 4PIN cpu power.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
There is no such thing as a 4+2 cpu. It is either 4 or 8.

For most boost clocks I think 4 is enough. I would say 8 pin is more important for maintaining all core but that is just speculation on my part.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm sorry, meant to say 8 pin cpu. E.g. ASRock x470 itx Mobo https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITXac/index.asp

Ah. As you said, the hdplex is 8 pin. It will work fine for it. Though, it is 4 to 4+4 so it kinda defeats the purpose of 8 pin, which is the current is more limited by the number of pins and not necessarily the number of wires.

A 24 pin + 4 pin cpu is plenty to handle 2700X boost.

You can also use a meanwell unit instead of the hdplex 160w ac-dc.

Last edited:

rawsh

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 24, 2018
Ah. As you said, the hdplex is 8 pin. It will work fine for it. Though, it is 4 to 4+4 so it kinda defeats the purpose of 8 pin, which is the current is more limited by the number of pins and not necessarily the number of wires.

A 24 pin + 4 pin cpu is plenty to handle 2700X boost.

You can also use a meanwell unit instead of the hdplex 160w ac-dc.

Do you know of a good ups that could fit inside a ups build? Is it possible to run a low power build off of a ups like a laptop for an hour ish maybe?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Found this 150Whr battery pack/UPS the other day, should be able to handle that ~2hrs or more.

My rig is R5 1600 and RX550, compared to yours wattage should be a little less on the cpu and little more on đthe gpu, so roughly the same I guess? Mine takes 60 to 80W from the wall on light browsing and youtube, while on gaming it took up to 180W (I'm using 160W brick and dynamo mini, with 90% combined efficiency that should work to exactly 160W system power)

I'm afraid laptop-like battery pack for PCs is not readily available in mainstream, it's pretty much a diy scene now.

If you want to learn more, read On DIY Battery Powered DC UPS, for Portable SFF and Off Grid. There's some videos and calculations and discussions.

If you want to diy it, my suggestion is first to find ways to reduce your system power consumption. For example, using 2400g would net you 35W reduction in average and max wattage, with just a very slight gpu performance loss compared to 1030 (you can oc it but it's going to need more power).

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Just a novelty my friend... I'd agree though carrying a UPS in the sense of 1) a brick, 2) an inverter, 3) batteries + support systems is madness.

But, if we took out 1 and 2 (since we already have 1 and 2 is just asinine)....

With lower power systems like an NUC or DeskMini, you can hack your way through high capacity power banks and cordless drill battery packs.