S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I still have one of those cinema displays in my closet and they're wonderful. Planning to give it to my kids when they start needing a computer for school paired with a repurposed Mac mini (current generation Hackintosh NuC).

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC

A little off topic i apologize, but i was wondering if your 1 Jan shipment of Skywire cables have been sent out? I didn't get an email confirmation about it, so i was curious. Just got the Asus B350i motherboard ordered from newegg and it should be here by 10 Jan.

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
You can subscribe to my channel and advance the cause! XD

Don't worry, Josh, I am! It's just that I didn't know you had posted a new one until this afternoon.

Also, is it already April 1?! A water-cooled S4M? This is have to see. Is it a custom-loop or an AIO?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC

A little off topic i apologize, but i was wondering if your 1 Jan shipment of Skywire cables have been sent out? I didn't get an email confirmation about it, so i was curious. Just got the Asus B350i motherboard ordered from newegg and it should be here by 10 Jan.

Not quite yet...they should be done soon. Sorry for the delay--the Christmas season always wrecks getting materials in. Thank you for your patience and your support!

Don't worry, Josh, I am! It's just that I didn't know you had posted a new one until this afternoon.

Also, is it already April 1?! A water-cooled S4M? This is have to see. Is it a custom-loop or an AIO?

It is...very...custom.

Reactions: ECHO and cmyk78

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
You are crazy! Your Mini is going to look like swiss cheese. I would never cut into the bezel, it's what gives the chassis such a unique and elegant look.
Ditto.
I'm scratching my head trying to get front panel audio module that can be mounted in the back somewhere, and also an sd card reader... I don't ever want to ruin that bezel.

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
Ditto.
I'm scratching my head trying to get front panel audio module that can be mounted in the back somewhere, and also an sd card reader... I don't ever want to ruin that bezel.

e.g. the IO cover of Asrock AB350 has space for some extra connectors. so depending on your mobo, that can be an option.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
e.g. the IO cover of Asrock AB350 has space for some extra connectors. so depending on your mobo, that can be an option.

Im trying to impelement just this with my budget MSI B250i Pro board that has alot of room on the IO. I have the obese Gigabyte 1080 mini and don't want to dike the case just yet nor re-solder and hack the DC-input board.

-edit-

Trying to implement the DC-input that is...

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
#524! Where's #525?

The problem isn't where at the back to mount them, but the availability of panel mount connectors. All sd card reader I found are pcb mount, and it makes sense cause you need that horizontal leverage. Now 3,5mm panel mount jack are available, but they are not jack sensing type that you need for hdaudio. I'm not sure if they work with jack extender (with the pcb somewhere else)

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
The problem isn't where at the back to mount them, but the availability of panel mount connectors. All sd card reader I found are pcb mount, and it makes sense cause you need that horizontal leverage.

there are a few tiny USB SD card readers. maybe they are good candidates, if you just create a bracket for that behind the io-shield?
not to mention a skyslot :) if you find some space in your Mini where you can clamp a card reader behind the side panel and insert the SD card through one of the skyslots...
depending on the size of the jacks you want to use, they can fit, too.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Yeah I was thinking of slipping one of those thin and tiny ones between the bottom bezel and the inner frame. Didn't think of skyslots, thank you, but I don't have 3d printer to make brackets or clamp.

3.5 mm panel mount jack is available, with threaded inlet which you bolt outside. They are tiny enough and should be fine mounted on the i/o plate. But I'm still researching if they will work with hdaudio.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
You are crazy! Your Mini is going to look like swiss cheese. I would never cut into the bezel, it's what gives the chassis such a unique and elegant look.
Dude I'm not cutting into my FRONT panel wrap-around bezel, but the bottom side of my wrap-around SIDE panel. The side that sits down FLAT on the table... when you place the S4M-C verrtically with the CPU down and GPU on top.

I think it would be cool to have the GPU flipped, and a TG top plate so you can see both the GPU and CPU waterblocks, and then mount the radiator on the opposite side of the case.
oi agree.

Ditto.
try the REAR I/O area between the mobo IO and GPU io? Arent there some inner chassis grates you can cut to fit USB and other connectors back there from the inside of the case to the outside?

nice! Wow Josh you made 527 of those? Congratulations @Josh | NFC :D I'm so honored to have been #193. :)