S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Good news everyone!
Just received the first 3d bezel and (what I am told is also) the first zebrawood bezel!
Pics! [Even tho they really dont do it justice! It looks a ton prettier in person!]

The build quality is great (with a minor imperfection at the top but I dont mind) and its over all amazing. Fits perfectly and so does my 1070 now!
Now to wait for the long switch :p
Long live @Josh | NFC !

ryzen

Trash Compacter
Jun 7, 2017
Good news everyone!
Just received the first 3d bezel and (what I am told is also) the first zebrawood bezel!
Pics! [Even tho they really dont do it justice! It looks a ton prettier in person!]

The build quality is great (with a minor imperfection at the top but I dont mind) and its over all amazing. Fits perfectly and so does my 1070 now!
Now to wait for the long switch :p
Long live @Josh | NFC !

s4 with wood bezel matching with your keyboard wrist rest makes it so much better

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
This looks pretty promising, a 3D printer power supply that I believe came from one of those aluminum LED power supplys, and given an actual enclosure. 500 watts, 24 volts, and about $200. Not cheap, but could work if you figure out the connector.

If you're in the $200 price range for a power supply, you might as well get the Meanwell HEP series. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/HEP-480-24A/

The Meanwell HEP-480-24 is about $180 and will do 480 watts at 24vdc (you can adjust the output up or down a couple volts), and will accept 100-300 volts input with either AC or DC.

Is it dead silent, completely fanless, and is up to 94% efficient. This puts it's efficiency as a power supply in the 80-plus Titanium realm.

I have the 12v version and will be trying it with a Guryhwa 12v Pico PSU when I receive that in a week or so.

Edit: Just to be clear, the HEP power supplies will not fit inside the case, you'd just chuck it on the ground like a laptop brick. The HEP series is completely potted in silicone; it is extremely water and shock resistant, high quality and has a 6-year warranty.

ryzen

Trash Compacter
Jun 7, 2017
If you're in the $200 price range for a power supply, you might as well get the Meanwell HEP series. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/HEP-480-24A/

The Meanwell HEP-480-24 is about $180 and will do 480 watts at 24vdc (you can adjust the output up or down a couple volts), and will accept 100-300 volts input with either AC or DC.

Is it dead silent, completely fanless, and is up to 94% efficient. This puts it's efficiency as a power supply in the 80-plus Titanium realm.

I have the 12v version and will be trying it with a Guryhwa 12v Pico PSU when I receive that in a week or so.

Edit: Just to be clear, the HEP power supplies will not fit inside the case, you'd just chuck it on the ground like a laptop brick. The HEP series is completely potted in silicone; it is extremely water and shock resistant, high quality and has a 6-year warranty.

I thought no other power brick will work with Guryhwa PSU except his modded one?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017

Yeah I have looked at that one as well, you would have to wire up an AC input plug and DC jack with that one though. I am not sure about the size comparison between the two.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
What was your order #?

If you are looking for updates on your order please email me. I am happy to answer what I can.

I'm finishing vent plates today, or trying to. This will let me ship out a bunch of orders I have with the 2D bezel + vent plate combos, which I want to finish by mid week. I mentioned earlier in case you missed it that those were holding me up due to making sure they were free of mistakes or finish problems.

Then I can work on the next batch of 3D bezels. I have the materials now planed down and ready for cutting, but 3D bezel customers are at least week out before I can ship.

Then I have the Dark Horse powdercoat customers. I'm waiting on an update on those, but best case scenario a week out.

If you JUST are waiting on a S4 MINI, SILIFLEX Riser, MINI Feet, or ON/OFF switch, then please email me because I should be able to ship you ASAP. I think I got all of you, but just in case...

Please share this with people wanting updates and always feel free to email me (but I probably will respond with this...it's all the info I have.)

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
Figured I'd share with everyone looking for a nice video card to pair with their S4 Mini--

EVGA Direct has the "6163" SC Single Fan 1060 with 6GB for $269.99 plus shipping (no tax unless you're in California): https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-6163-KR

Don't pay that markup! I'm personally pairing this with a HDPlex 160W, processor an i7-6700T (just delidded today, I've finished repasting and now it's getting the Permatex readhesion treatment for 24h), a nice Dell power brick, ASUS Strix Z270i (needed the top-mounted M.2 slot to user my 2242-U.2 converter), Intel 750 U.2 SSD (take that, throttling!), cooled by the Noctua L9i.

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
If you are looking for updates on your order please email me. I am happy to answer what I can.

I'm finishing vent plates today, or trying to. This will let me ship out a bunch of orders I have with the 2D bezel + vent plate combos, which I want to finish by mid week. I mentioned earlier in case you missed it that those were holding me up due to making sure they were free of mistakes or finish problems.

Then I can work on the next batch of 3D bezels. I have the materials now planed down and ready for cutting, but 3D bezel customers are at least week out before I can ship.

Then I have the Dark Horse powdercoat customers. I'm waiting on an update on those, but best case scenario a week out.

If you JUST are waiting on a S4 MINI, SILIFLEX Riser, MINI Feet, or ON/OFF switch, then please email me because I should be able to ship you ASAP. I think I got all of you, but just in case...

Please share this with people wanting updates and always feel free to email me (but I probably will respond with this...it's all the info I have.)

No problems waiting, I was just curious. You keep coming out with these great upgrades/alterations and it's making me contemplate switching up my order again (even if that means pushing back it's ship date further). Better make up my mind by today.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Ehh, I imagine any 12 volt DC output should work, as long as you have the Amps to power your components and deal with any power spikes.

Right, the Guryhwa PSU will accept any 12vdc input, as long as it is properly regulated and a high enough amperage. So a Meanwell power supply will work fine, but probably not a car battery, which puts out 11-14vdc and has other transients affecting it.

I actually just received it today (only took 3 business days shipping from China!) so I'll post more tonight.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
@Josh | NFC what are the dimensions of your case feet?
I know they're 15.5mm tall, how big are they otherwise?

I'm thinking about getting a set for my customod but don't want them to be too big.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Guryhwa's PSU arrived and I unboxed it:

I told him I was using my own Meanwell PSU so he was kind enough to let me buy a power cable cheaply that he unsoldered from one of his own PSUs. His modded Dell bricks are probably a better value than a $200 Meanwell, but I already owned this PSU so no sense buying another. He also included his S4 Mini BTO (built to order) input jack, which screws to the S4 DC input mounting holes and sits on the outside of the case.

Here is the first test run:

I overclocked my Founder's Edition 1080ti to 120% power target and ran heaven benchmark. I was pulling over 400 watts for ten minutes straight, and the Pico PSU stayed cool to the touch the entire time, even without heatsinks! Guryhwa's secret sauce seems to be that since his PSU receives a 12v input, it can simply pass it along to the CPU/GPU after smoothing it with its high quality tantalum capacitors. This avoids the waste heat associated with convering say, a 19v source down to 12v.

Here is the 480 watt, 12v meanwell power supply I'm using to run this. It is pretty big (I placed a quarter on it for scale) and heavy, and $200 bucks, but it is dead silent and gets only warm to the touch at full load because it is so efficient:

After everything tested out fine, I actually went and de-soldered the SATA power plugs from the Pico PSU (I don't need them as my motherboard supports two M.2 drives). So now I have a very tidy look going, and I freed up a ton of room:

All in all I'm thrilled with this PSU. No coil whine and no heat at all from it, and I had spikes up to 420 watts with my overclock. The build quality is top-notch as well. The price is excellent for what I got.

My only small nitpicks are:

- I wish there was a way to disable the blue/purple LED that stays on when the PC is off (I use it in a bedroom and hate blue LEDs at night)

- The CPU/GPU/SATA cables are silver-plated copper. It looks pretty cool in person, but silver doesn't really match most case color schemes. [edit: removed incorrect info on wiring composition]

Fortunately both the LED and the silver wiring can be easily covered up with gaffer's tape or other easy DIY coverings.

I'm rating this 9.9/10 all things considered. The only way it could be better is with a small toggle switch to turn the LED off instead of relying on black gaffer's tape to cover it.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC what are the dimensions of your case feet?
I know they're 15.5mm tall, how big are they otherwise?

I'm thinking about getting a set for my customod but don't want them to be too big.

30mm. I should probably put that up on the site...

@Zero Nice! I have the HEP-320-12A. Haven't got much use out of it as the HDPLEX 19V DC-DC psus replaced the Pico for my workflow, but maybe there will be a home for it in the future with a G-Unique ;)

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
- The CPU/GPU/SATA cables are clear-sheathed aluminum. It looks pretty cool in person, but silver doesn't really match most case color schemes. Plus, aluminum has more resistance than copper. I don't know if it makes a huge difference but it could contribute a very small voltage drop as the wires heat up a little. Everything else like the PCB, soldering, capacitors, shrink tubing are all done with care and high quality components, so I don't know why aluminum cables were picked here. Fortunately his board and wiring are modification friendly, so if you have a soldering iron and extra shrink-tubing you could probably re-cable it as you see fit without much trouble.

I'd say 9/10 for this thing, just needs a switch for the LED, and an option for all-copper cabling.

i hope you make a little expriment to see the color of true copper ,the cable you see is call PTFE silver plated wire ,its wire core is copper ,with silver plated ,and teflon skin
you have my word:i HAD NEVER,AND WILLl NOT USE ANY ALUMINUM CABLE IN MY PSU!

cut your PSU 's cable,any one of them,skin it,and scrape the layer of plated silver ,to see the color of copper:you will se
like this:

and the silicone wire is tin plated copper core,you can do the same

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
i hope you make a little expriment to see the color of true copper ,the cable you see is call PTFE silver plated wire ,its wire core is copper ,with silver plated ,and teflon skin
you have my word:i HAD NEVER,AND WILLl NOT USE ANY ALUMINUM CABLE IN MY PSU!

cut your PSU 's cable,any one of them,skin it,and scrape the layer of plated silver ,to see the color of copper:you will se
like this:

and the silicone wire is tin plated copper core,you can do the same

Wow, my apologies, I actually did scrape it before I posted, turns out I didn't scrape enough to get through the thick silver plating!

That's really cool that you are using much higher quality components than anyone would ever expect in a PSU. Extra-thick PCB, silver-plated copper, tantalum capacitors, Teflon and silicone insulation. Talk about exceeding expectations!

I used a simple piece of black gaffer's tape to cover up the LED so now it's a 10/10 PSU for me :)