NFC Skyreach 4 Mini - Vanilla Ice (plus delidding stuff)

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 29, 2016
I gotcha, what ive heard is that the power is cleaner coming to the system.

Yep this is the idea - better power distribution / filtering. I've yet to have any issues with the setup itself. Brick, well - different story obviously. Strangely enough the older modded Dell brick has had zero issues. Be damned if I'm letting that go unused when the new brick is replaced. So good.

Either way the build looks sick. I look forward to when you finish it.

Thank you! Yeah I really need to pull my finger out and get cracking again, there's so much more to do and share, and I want it all sorted before AMD release 3000 series and Vega 2 otherwise I will get the upgrade bug and never close this damn build. I'll probably order the dark frosted panel next week for the S4 and send the busted brick back to Gury for replacement.

One last thing, how was the cooling/noise between using the 92mm fan and shroud, vs the 100mm fan? Im looking at cooling setups, but I feel like im over thinking it if im going to be using a 65w cpu.

Yeah I wouldn't sweat it on a 65W CPU. I have a couple of spare Noctua 92mm fans which I may switch back to after the nickel coated relid. I just can't get past that ugly brown. If they did their fans in black, I'm sold. Some of the S4 builds have 95W CPUs in them, where those guys' threads go into much more detail about fans and cooling and testing etc. but yeah don't send yourself silly overthinking cooling. This is why I went with a 65W, so I don't have to worry about that sort of stuff. But the info and all the testing the guys have done here have definitely helped during my decision-making process, that's for sure. Best bet - Noctua NH-9Li or LP53 with Noctua fan. I sourced the Thermalright because of its colour. From what I recall its performance is pretty much on par with the the LP53/Noctua combo, just a couple of decibels louder.