NFC S4 Mini #77 - Orangulan Brickless S4

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd thought about going to a lighter wire gauge specifically for this cable, but didn't want to run into problems with heat etc. I think I'm just going to do up my Z4 ATX 200 to go with the build. Have a message out to a jeweller in town to see if I can get the heatsink on the Pico anodized orange or copper and will probably reserve the cables this week.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Little more progress. Swapped my Z4 from a barrel connector to 4 pin compatible with the HDPlex AC-DC successfully

Much less cable clutter than the HDPlex 160 DC-DC. Going to order some pins and plugs for a custom harness,

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Nice, looks much cleaner already! What is the Z4s 12V output rated for? That connector seems to have 12V for the CPU running on a single pin, and I'm pretty sure those pins are rated for something like 2A-3A or so. It should be fine with your CPU, but that's a little wimpy considering their feeding a 8-pin EPS connector with that.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It's a 4+4 pin EPS, I'm just using one half of it because of the motherboard.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah I know, but it's the stock cable and EPS 8pin can push a lot of power. This wimpy pin on the Z4 can't. Again, it doesn't really matter in your case, your CPU isn't that high powered anyway.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
The Z4 has a 5-pin connector for all ancillary power connections. Looking down on it, it is 5V/GND/GND/12V/12V. The right 4 go to the CPU EPS and the left 4 go to the SATA and Molex connectors (center 3 are shared).

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It's been a night of mixed emotions on this build. To cut or not to cut... Omg... In the end I finally decided to maim my oh-so-perfect and S4 for the sake of the build. That being said I kind of hate myself now that it's not perfect anymore :_(

Will break out the files tomorrow to get the hole to perfectly fit the inlet. Won't be able to link it to the PSU until parts arrive mid month though. Started sleeving cables tonight, but I'll save the photos of that until I get my orange sleeving in.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
A little careful filing and the inlet is fully installed. Looks quite natural if I say so myself.

I am planning to replace this non-polarized IEC socket and cable with a polarized version as I really don't want to fry my power supply.

Also I'm looking for some input on this build. I am 90% sure if I drop the bottom of the case out and have the AC-DC mount directly onto the heavy 5mm aluminum portion of the case, I will have the clearance for my eVGA 1060 to fit in here. Wondering what people think about this idea. I am planning to swap in a 4590T when I get it if I can get the 1060 into the case which should keep the overall power draw in most real world situations within tolerances for the power supply.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
It's been a night of mixed emotions on this build. To cut or not to cut... Omg... In the end I finally decided to maim my oh-so-perfect and S4 for the sake of the build. That being said I kind of hate myself now that it's not perfect anymore :_(

Will break out the files tomorrow to get the hole to perfectly fit the inlet. Won't be able to link it to the PSU until parts arrive mid month though. Started sleeving cables tonight, but I'll save the photos of that until I get my orange sleeving in.
Looks very clean, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
There's much to love about this build. Especially the orange and black color scheme, a matching Phoenix mobo, and dat low profile GTX 950. These are the first pictures I've seen of that 950 out in the wild.

Does this 950 also come with an additional metal bracket that fits in low-profile case slots?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah it does. I'll run benchmarks on it in a week or two when I'm done the build. Once I have my sleeving materials I'll only be waiting on the 2 pin connector for wall socket to AC-DC to finish things out.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Got my sleeving supplies and got my Z4 sleeved with a custom harness with only 4 pin (as I won't be using any SATA drives in this build).

I won't be sleeving either end of the AC-DC so short of installing the 2 pin connector from the polarized C7 to the AC-DC and soldering/wiring my orange Bulgin switch this build is nearly done.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah permanent. I really wish they'd do away with DVI and start including HDMI to DVI adapters in place. Dual slot for a DVI in this day and age seems stupid to me.