Log Nex Gen High-ish end Build

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Thinking about doing a custom GPU and CPU Loop with next gen parts in a ~15-20L case.
AM5, Probably the Ryzen 7 7700X
DDR5
, probably G. Skill Ripjaws
Asus B650 Mini-ITX (When released)
Nvidia 3080-70
If the situation with 40 series improves, I might change to a cheaper and less hot GPU (like a 4060 Ti if that happens)
EK Waterblock, unless I find a better option.
Low to none RGB.
Case ideas: Meshlicious, Phanteks Evolv Shift XT, Others still up for debate
Thoughts on thermals?

Last edited:

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Ok, I've done do more research, and I think I'm going to build in the T1 V2. I think I'm either going to do a CPU Block/Res/Pump or a Rad/Pump/Res.

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Now I might wait until the Ncase M1 Evo, which should come out around the 40 series launch

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Well it's been a while, and I've thought about some stuff. I still think the Ncase M1EVO is my top case option, as it should offer a lot of compatibility with 40-series and more space for a first time watercool.

The Asus SFF motherboards are out, and although they are expensive, I think I'll stick with them. I might switch to MSI if I do some more reading.

Still doing Ryzen 7 7700X, but if I go overboard I'll do a 7900X. I've also heard rumors of a 3D V-Cache version coming out later, which if that is true, will definitely switch to.

EK Waterblocks and pumps.

Corsair PSU for the good cables.

Thermals up for debate, obviously because the case isn't out yet.

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Forgot to mention the Meshroom is also on my list of cases, if the M1EVO is a bust.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
in a ~15-20 ml case
Wow, that would be quite the accomplishement 😁

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Of course, as soon as I feel the M1EVO is the end all-be all, Fractal sneaks up behind me and stabs me in the back with a ridge-shaped knife.

Although the Ridge is really cool, I honestly think the lack of 2x240 rad support is a deal breaker.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Of course, as soon as I feel the M1EVO is the end all-be all, Fractal sneaks up behind me and stabs me in the back with a ridge-shaped knife.

Although the Ridge is really cool, I honestly think the lack of 2x240 rad support is a deal breaker.
2x 240 mm radiator should be easily possible in the Meshlicious. Maybe even 2x 280 mm, with a bit of rearrangements and creativity (if you go with a full CPU + GPU loop, that is), although I think 240 + 200 mm sounds even better :)

cu, w0lf.

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
2x 240 mm radiator should be easily possible in the Meshlicious. Maybe even 2x 280 mm, with a bit of rearrangements and creativity (if you go with a full CPU + GPU loop, that is), although I think 240 + 200 mm sounds even better :)

cu, w0lf.
I can see that, but from what I remember, the M1 EVO has at least 2x240mm (possibly 2x280mm) rads, on top of being pretty future proof. Whats the deal with the Meshroom? I need to do more research into it.

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Somehow I keep forgetting about this website

Anyways, updates. Still looking at the M1 EVO as my next build, but when I originally created this log I was in the classic 'after building pc really wants to build another' phase. Considering I just hit a year with my ATX build, I'm going to keep using it for a while...

though...

If there is a cheap enough SFF case I like that supports m-ATX motherboards and a regular PSU, I might consider switching cases.

But back to my update radar:
(for future me when i wonder what I was up to on **checks date** Friday, February 24th, 2023)

I saw REVOCs new case and, if he decides to release it, will go on my mental list as a possibility.
Also still going for AM5 and an Asus B650 board, when the time comes for a new build.
The whole GPU situation with Nvidia and all has left me pretty confused, so unless Nvidia releases like a super cheap 40-series card that is praised for all eternity by literally everyone, I'll stick to the 30-series cards for any future builds.

Anyways, that's it for me. Probably gonna forget about this entire website for the next month and then remember about it randomly.

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Whoa! I remembered this place again!

btw thanks past me for the date. For future Pengin: May 15th, 2023.
Huh. It's been 4 months since I last posted

So Wahaha360 over on the M1 EVO Production Forum has made it official:
The M1 EVO WILL come with dual, EVEN TRIPLE rad support!!

Granted, for triple rad, you have to mix and match 240 and 280 rads, but that's really ok.
I think I will still go for dual 280, which means my first custom loop. I legitimately do not know if I am extremely excited or completely freaked out.
I remember watching an Optimum Tech video in which he used a new CPU Block/Pump combo that looked really promising. I'll check that later.

AMD has released 2 new 3D V-CACHE CPUs, and they look pretty good. I think I'll wait for the more budget oriented option, though.

Most of the ASUS mATX MoBo's look... well... suffice to say these prices suck. The only one worth getting review wise is 600 dollars, something I am just not willing to pay for a motherboard. Oh well.

In terms of GPUs, I got nothing new. Still going by the philosophy of my last post.

Gonna go look at the REVOC case from the last post. Totally forgot about it.
brb

Honestly, it looks sick, but REVOC responded and said he wasn't going to release it. I'm totally fine with that, though.
Wondering when the EVO will release. Wahaha360 said 'in a month' a month ago, but I understand that they need to work out the problems. All for a better product for us consumers!

Anyways, umm....
bye

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
AMD has released 2 new 3D V-CACHE CPUs, and they look pretty good. I think I'll wait for the more budget oriented option, though.

Most of the ASUS mATX MoBo's look... well... suffice to say these prices suck. The only one worth getting review wise is 600 dollars, something I am just not willing to pay for a motherboard. Oh well.
I really feel its not worth looking into AMD for now, with all the awful issues and worse, those horrible mainboard prices.
Over at the "blue" front, mATX prices are decent and there is a lot of good stuff available, even with Z690/Z790.

Currently running the MSI Mortar Z690 with my MFF / Intermediate build, and its proven absolutely reliable (despite the usual MSI issues with connectors located at "bad" positions).

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
I really feel its not worth looking into AMD for now, with all the awful issues and worse, those horrible mainboard prices.
Over at the "blue" front, mATX prices are decent and there is a lot of good stuff available, even with Z690/Z790.

Currently running the MSI Mortar Z690 with my MFF / Intermediate build, and its proven absolutely reliable (despite the usual MSI issues with connectors located at "bad" positions).
Interesting. It might make sense to switch, but I really like AMD chips, and I just have no experience with Intel. Still, the cheaper prices make a good argument.

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
It happened again... I need to work on my memory.

Obligatory date even though it's displayed on the post: Friday, September 1.
Another 4 months between posts! (I'm not counting responses)

IT'S HAPPENED!
After all these years months, the M1EVO is done! I'm extremely excited, and can't wait for reviews from the likes of Optimum Tech and so.

Anyways, not much has changed since May. I now have a 3D printer (Elegoo Neptune 3 Pro), and have mainly been working on that.
I'm going to reiterate, mainly for my future self; I am perfectly happy with my current ATX setup. I do not need to build another PC.

That being said...

one can dream.

Although I have taken into consideration hrh_ginsterbusch's suggestion of going Team Blue instead of sticking with AMD, my experience with the latter in the past makes me want to stick with them. Who knows though, my mind might change in the future.

As I mentioned earlier, the summer and the days since my last posting has been mostly filled with 3D printing, and I haven't been keeping up eith much PC news, only making time for Paul's Hardware Tech News every week. Therefore, I am mostly not up to date on GPU news. What I do know is that Intel ARCs are on track to becoming actually competitive with AMD and Nvidia. Good for them! I'm still sticking with Team Green 30series GPU's, though.

As for the motherboard, I'm still waiting for an Asus ROG B650 Micro-ATX to release (if it ever does). Really, that's about it!

If we are still talking about dream PCs, a custom 2x280 rad loop would be my choice, but in reality, at my skill level, I don't know if its possible. Either way, this PC is far off in the future, and much will be changed by then. The CPU Block/Pump/Res combo I talked about in my last update is I think by Barrow, but the last time I checked was a while ago and I think EK released their own version, albeit bigger.

Anyways, that's all from me. Now that school is back on, I'll be on this website more as I get bored, so expect more updates.
(If I don't forget ;) )

See you then!

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
I think my brain has some sort of internal clock that pulls me back into this log every 4 months

Date for future Pengin: Monday, November 27, 2023.

Anyway, literally nothing has changed since my last post in early September (PC wise). The printer I mentioned in my last post has been hard at work, and I have acquired a Raspberry Pi 4, which, with the help of a built in screen and controller, is becoming my dream retro-gaming machine. This is accomplished through RetroPi, but this is the wrong forum for that. Head over to retropie.org.uk if you feel the need to learn more.

My pipe-dream of a PC is still far off, but it might be a lot closer if I had a printer with a 300+ by 300+ build plate, due to Makerunit's

whoops forgot i never finished this post
Other (?) date for future Pengin: Tuesday, December 4, 2023.
anyway lets resume.

new case that I forget the name of. It looks really cool!
Motherboard prices have definitely decreased, which is super nice, but I still think I should hold out on building a new PC.

Anyway, I'll remember this site hopefully around March? I think that's right.
See you then! :)

• Haha
Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch