Power Supply News about pico psu?

Zievatron

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
Hallo,
To assemble a mini-pc I need a pico psu.
On aliexpress I have seen several that, at least in theory, should be fine.
There are the pico psu branded RGeek, Realan, and others.
The doubt is whether they are valid products, that they work, or if they have problems, if they fail easily.
Does anyone know them, know how they are?

Zievatron

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
For only
2x8GB RAM and 1SSD M.2
HDplay's products seem exaggerated to me.
Also, even if I wanted a HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX, the manufacturer's website says "Out of stock".
I need a more modest and cheaper alternative. As long as it works. I would not like to have nasty surprises.

Zievatron

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
I tried searching for z4.
Seems only available on alibaba.
But if it is a pico-box product why is there only z2 on the pico-box site? It seems strange.

I forgot.
If I take the z4, which brick should I combine?

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Realan makes cases and power supplies. The power supplies are not as good as PicoPSU but they are serviceable.

J-Hack also makes a plug in PSU that looks amazing.

Reactions: Zievatron

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
j-hack's 160w plug-in unit appears to be a blacked out z2-atx-200 from picobox with a slightly different layout. it does look way cooler and i think it's worth getting to support his business because he is doing some great things for sff. it might be better spec'ed as well. not sure. @Thehack ??

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
j-hack's 160w plug-in unit appears to be a blacked out z2-atx-200 from picobox with a slightly different layout. it does look way cooler and i think it's worth getting to support his business because he is doing some great things for sff. it might be better spec'ed as well. not sure. @Thehack ??

Thanks for the kind words!

The 160 is not the same unit. It is a custom unit with an nmos mosfet which will do the rated board power of 75cpu + 75 gpu. I try to incorporate features that people are interested in and what I see people are doing in the market.

Zievatron

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
I thank everyone for the information.
I made up my mind and ordered the z2-atx-200 on Amazon now.
The z2-atx-200 is already oversized for my needs.
If it is as efficient as they say it is certainly the best buy for me.
I just have to wait about a month to get it.

encore2097

Caliper Novice
May 13, 2019
I've been using these 250W picoPSU for a few years without issue powered by a server PSU.

12V input DC Jack

24 pin ATX
8 pin (4+4) 12V EPS
Molex
SATA

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
It's a problem of liability imo. I'm not sure about current status, but at least a year back it's a product without proper certification. The archdeamon is one thing - we gladly suggest those in NFC subforum, but the modded DELL brick - another thing entirely.

And you also have the ordering process (and wait?)..

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It's a problem of liability imo. I'm not sure about current status, but at least a year back it's a product without proper certification. The archdeamon is one thing - we gladly suggest those in NFC subforum, but the modded DELL brick - another thing entirely.

And you also have the ordering process (and wait?)..
Oh, absolutely - I wasn't talking about the brick either, just the Arch Daemon DC-ATX itself. None of the other options mentioned above are "package deals" with a brick + DC-ATX either, after all.

Reactions: NateDawg72

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
The Arch Daemon DC-ATX is a really nice piece of kit. Paired with the bricks / PSUs Gury mods they can power a lot. But good luck getting one without a PSU included, like if you have your own PSU you want to use it with. I tried to order one, even willing to pay extra, got ignored for 2 weeks before he finally acknowledged and refused.

Last edited:

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
I wish! Saw them at stall when I visited China a few years ago and snagged a couple.

I have a few extra.. if you are in the US want one, how about $30 shipped?

Thanks for responding, and I will hold off for now but I will think about it.
If you don't hear back within a week, then deal not done. I appreciate your response!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I wish! Saw them at stall when I visited China a few years ago and snagged a couple.

I have a few extra.. if you are in the US want one, how about $30 shipped?
If you don't hear back within a week, then deal not done. I appreciate your response!
You can get those off AliExpress for about $20-25. RGeek and Realan seem to be the most common/recognizable brands, but there are rebrands to be found too. No idea who the OEM is. Note that wattage ratings are likely to be complete BS - for example, the connector used for the EPS+SATA+Molex on the 250W unit could in no way handle 150+W for a powerful CPU. The connector would melt.
"250W"
"150W"
"120W"
"90W"
I have the "90W" unit installed in a spare, barely-used J1900-based PC, and it's worked fine for the few hours that has been in use. Note that it's a 20-pin, not a 24-pin, so no PCIe power on that. I believe the others are 24-pins. I also have a "250W" unit lying around in case I needed to test anything - it might get to stretch its legs if my ongoing order from Gury takes time to arrive.

They also have 19V input units, though given the lack of heatsinks I'd trust those even less in terms of surviving heavy loads.
The Arch Daemon DC-ATX is a really nice piece of kit. Paired with the bricks / PSUs Gury mods they can power a lot. But good luck getting one without a PSU included, like if you have your own PSU you want to use it with. I tried to order one, even willing to pay extra, got ignored for 2 weeks before he finally acknowledged and refused.
That's odd. I wrote to Gury a few days back, but after I saw that he hadn't been active on the forums since August 2nd I DM'd him on his discord server instead, and he responded within a few hours. Pending confirmation and payment I will soon have an order for two Arch Daemons without bricks, and he promises the lead time will be just a couple of weeks. YMMV, I guess?

Reactions: NinoPecorino

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
That's odd. I wrote to Gury a few days back, but after I saw that he hadn't been active on the forums since August 2nd I DM'd him on his discord server instead, and he responded within a few hours. Pending confirmation and payment I will soon have an order for two Arch Daemons without bricks, and he promises the lead time will be just a couple of weeks. YMMV, I guess?
Anything with Gury is big time YMMV. I've spoken with other people who have had trouble trying to order something from him. But there are lots of people who have ordered his stuff and love the product. I was a repeat customer that had spent $200 on his stuff already and he was flat out ignoring my DMs. I messaged him in the public general chat and he said he wouldn't sell arch daemon for a power supply he hasn't tested (Meanwell EPP400). I got what I wanted later from a generous forum member but the experience has turned me away from dealing with him again.

encore2097

Caliper Novice
May 13, 2019

You're welcome.

No worries, no promises I'll have spares.. building a new mini AM4 system :)

You can get those off AliExpress for about $20-25. RGeek and Realan seem to be the most common/recognizable brands, but there are rebrands to be found too. No idea who the OEM is. Note that wattage ratings are likely to be complete BS - for example, the connector used for the EPS+SATA+Molex on the 250W unit could in no way handle 150+W for a powerful CPU. The connector would melt.
"250W"
"150W"
"120W"
"90W"
I have the "90W" unit installed in a spare, barely-used J1900-based PC, and it's worked fine for the few hours that has been in use. Note that it's a 20-pin, not a 24-pin, so no PCIe power on that. I believe the others are 24-pins. I also have a "250W" unit lying around in case I needed to test anything - it might get to stretch its legs if my ongoing order from Gury takes time to arrive.

They also have 19V input units, though given the lack of heatsinks I'd trust those even less in terms of surviving heavy loads.

Nice! Those look like the ones I have except thinner wires.

Got two running a firewall

and server/NAS

with two of them and stress tested them above 250W without issue.

They are running open though in a cool environment until I finish the cases for them.

A big part of that is likely the 94% efficient platinum PSU I use to power them.

Looks like if you upgrade the wires you should be fine. Be sure to test everything!

Reactions: NateDawg72