New to SFF but not to PCs

Figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself.

I've been using computers since I was 10 and playing Zork on an IBM PC-XT.

I once owned an Abit BP6 with dual Celeries but a couple years ago I accidentally donated it along with a few other old beige towers :(

I started getting interested in SFF mostly by accident, when I needed to build a new computer back in 2014/2015 but didn't have much room or money at the time. I ended up putting together a Lian Li PCQ-11B with a Silverstone ST45SF-G, Core i3-4360 and a Zalman CNPS-8900 and running it off the integrated graphics, planning to get a 750ti sometime later when funds allowed, but never got around to it. System's still kicking today with literally 0 problems. I can still play games on it, though, just need to keep the graphics detail under control.

Now I'm planning my next build, except now I'm looking for a bit of a challenge so I might try building a custom case or repurposing, and trying to get it smaller than my existing PCQ-11B.

Two examples I (briefly) considered:

* 1953 Emerson 713 tabletop radio (way too small; more like a nano- or pico-itx build); the dial could be repurposed as a volume control, and the power knob could possibly be replaced with a spring return rotary switch of some sort (to keep the original knob).

* RCA Victor B/W portable TV (model 14PT9011), reminds me of playing Fallout. But I'd probably get in over my head trying a build with this thing. And no idea what I'd do with the CRT. I'd post links but I'm not sure what sort of links are allowed here, yet.

I'll probably end up just buying a case when all is said and done.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself.

I've been using computers since I was 10 and playing Zork on an IBM PC-XT.

I once owned an Abit BP6 with dual Celeries but a couple years ago I accidentally donated it along with a few other old beige towers :(

I started getting interested in SFF mostly by accident, when I needed to build a new computer back in 2014/2015 but didn't have much room or money at the time. I ended up putting together a Lian Li PCQ-11B with a Silverstone ST45SF-G, Core i3-4360 and a Zalman CNPS-8900 and running it off the integrated graphics, planning to get a 750ti sometime later when funds allowed, but never got around to it. System's still kicking today with literally 0 problems. I can still play games on it, though, just need to keep the graphics detail under control.

Now I'm planning my next build, except now I'm looking for a bit of a challenge so I might try building a custom case or repurposing, and trying to get it smaller than my existing PCQ-11B.

Two examples I (briefly) considered:

* 1953 Emerson 713 tabletop radio (way too small; more like a nano- or pico-itx build); the dial could be repurposed as a volume control, and the power knob could possibly be replaced with a spring return rotary switch of some sort (to keep the original knob).

* RCA Victor B/W portable TV (model 14PT9011), reminds me of playing Fallout. But I'd probably get in over my head trying a build with this thing. And no idea what I'd do with the CRT. I'd post links but I'm not sure what sort of links are allowed here, yet.

I'll probably end up just buying a case when all is said and done.
Was looking at similar stuff re-purposing an old Philco like this one at one time but just too big though I think the case would've worked speaker hole in great location for a fan and size not super huge, roll top could've hidden front USB power switch etc, maybe a future build. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Antiq...026056?hash=item4d927b2648:g:COQAAOSwuItcmj0o

mindad

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Was looking at similar stuff re-purposing an old Philco like this one at one time but just too big though I think the case would've worked speaker hole in great location for a fan and size not super huge, roll top could've hidden front USB power switch etc, maybe a future build. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Antiq...026056?hash=item4d927b2648:g:COQAAOSwuItcmj0o

That has tons of potential, looks very interesting. The roll top is nice; at 10" tall it would fit a mini-itx in vertical orientation with possibly enough room for a rad+fans tucked up inside the top. That one shot of the inside looks like it's got an air-cooled VW engine in it.

Nice ideas, those remind me of Jeffrey (SlipperySkip) Stephenson's work. You might find some inspiration from his awesome mods : http://slipperyskip.com/index.html

Can't wait to see more ... and ... Welcome aboard !

Thanks! I've seen the slipperyskip builds, in particular the "DECOmputer" is my favorite because of the cast aluminum. Too bad it won't fit mini-itx!