New to SFF and the Forum

Hi folks! I'm new to the SFF community, and am looking forward to getting started!

TL;DR - Photographer growing out of the Macbook Pro and into a custom SFF PC. Hi!

Little About Me:
I'm a hobby photographer currently living on the east coast. At this moment in time I'm using Apple products and have been since 2011, when I bought a Macbook Pro. Now, nearly six years later (will be by the time I build it) I'm moving back to PC. I'm looking to absorb as much information as I can and learn from everyone!

Why I'm Leaving Mac:
As I stated before, my Macbook Pro is now five years old (technically six since it's a 2010 model) and as a result it's starting to fall behind. It came with 4GB of RAM and soon I noticed the laptop ran crazy slow. So last year (or 2014, I can't remember) I updated the RAM to the laptops full capacity of 8GBs. For awhile it was great, but now I can barely edit a single photo before my computer locks up.

So it's time to move on. I'll still keep the Macbook for school and travel, but I'm looking to move to a better platform for daily use. I thought about going to a new Macbook, but considering the price for anything decent I might as well build my own and make it look how I want. On top of that, there's a couple of games I'd love to play (on Ultra, of course) that my Macbook can't support.

So yeah! That's me, and that's why I'm here. I already have a few builds drafted and am still researching!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome!

I thought about going to a new Macbook, but considering the price for anything decent I might as well build my own and make it look how I want.

Ain't that the truth. The current lineup of Macbooks is looking a bit long in the tooth.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ain't that the truth. The current lineup of Macbooks is looking a bit long in the tooth.

Yeah... :( Looks like we can expect a fall refresh at this point, but Apple's taken way too long to get to that point.

As a current rMBP user, I welcome you to the forum as well! Can't wait to see what build you put together.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Welcome!

Thanks!
Agreed. I can't justify paying upwards of $1500 for one. Just a status symbol I can't afford at that point.

Yeah... :( Looks like we can expect a fall refresh at this point, but Apple's taken way too long to get to that point.

As a current rMBP user, I welcome you to the forum as well! Can't wait to see what build you put together.

Thanks! And shoot, I can't wait to see what I put together lol Been researching and building lists non-stop but I can't start ordering parts until November at the earliest. Sigh.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! Macbooks have often been a good staple of plenty of photographers, but Apple's lacking focus on their PC platform is worrying, although 2016 has been scant of Apple hardware releases altogether. Intel's Kaby Lake 7th generation Core CPUs are expected for Q3 2016 for mobile, so we might see some new models by then, finally. Although Apple might have another exclusivity deal with Intel and be launching early.

But for your use-case we can definitely help you with a good performing system !

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Welcome to the forum ! Macbooks have often been a good staple of plenty of photographers, but Apple's lacking focus on their PC platform is worrying, although 2016 has been scant of Apple hardware releases altogether. Intel's Kaby Lake 7th generation Core CPUs are expected for Q3 2016 for mobile, so we might see some new models by then, finally. Although Apple might have another exclusivity deal with Intel and be launching early.

But for your use-case we can definitely help you with a good performing system !

Thanks boss! Look forward to getting some new ideas from everyone.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Welcome aboard.. Where are you from? "Bloke" seems to be a UK/AU/NZ term!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Lol it's a changed handle base off a joke Richard Hammond from the old BBC Top Gear "Angryshortbloke". I'm from San Diego lol
Big Top Gear fan over here <--

My nickname sometimes results in Czech people starting a conversation with me in the Czech language, because my nickname ends in "cz", which is the official domain for Czech websites. I just thought it was cool to misspell my name. If only future-me would have warned me !

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Big Top Gear fan over here <--

My nickname sometimes results in Czech people starting a conversation with me in the Czech language, because my nickname ends in "cz", which is the official domain for Czech websites. I just thought it was cool to misspell my name. If only future-me would have warned me !

Same! Although now I'm waiting for the trio's new show - The Grand Tour.

And that's too funny! Most I've had is a couple people think I'm British lol

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Also a Top Gear fan here......well I was for a long time but got kind of bored of Clarkson.....

I would have guessed British too, not too many blokes in San Diego!

Reactions: onlyabloke

danielbatmanj

Average Stuffer
May 16, 2016
welcome aboard ensign, your quarters are on deck 3 section 7 and your shift begins at 0500 hours. If you need anything, just ask the computer.
Can anyone figure out what im basing this off of?