New skyreach owner, few questions

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
just purchased a new skyreach which is going to arrive in the next week or so.

couple of questions:

1) does the zotac gtx 1070/1080 mini fit without modifications?

2) what exactly are the differences between the classic and the skyreach? can't find this info anywhere.

3) components of the build:

Case: skyreach s4 mini
PSU: hdplex 400w + dell 330w brick
CPU: ryzen 7 1700
CPU cooler: ryzen 7 1700 stock cooler
Mobo: gigabyte ab350 gaming itx
Ram: 16gb ddr4 3000
GPU: zotac gtx 1070 or 1080 mini
nvme = 1 for the os
2 x 2.5" sata ssd in raid 0. most likelly my left over samsung 850 evos.
power button = the one form sfflabs

currently have a evga gtx 1060 mini card which i know will fit, but i'm planning to get a 1070 or 1080 on this.

Would i have any issues with the components above? i have everything minus the case which is on it's way and a beefier gpu.

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
just purchased a new skyreach which is going to arrive in the next week or so.

couple of questions:

1) does the zotac gtx 1070/1080 mini fit without modifications?

2) what exactly are the differences between the classic and the skyreach? can't find this info anywhere.

3) components of the build:

Case: skyreach s4 mini
PSU: hdplex 400w + dell 330w brick
CPU: ryzen 7 1700
CPU cooler: ryzen 7 1700 stock cooler
Mobo: gigabyte ab350 gaming itx
Ram: 16gb ddr4 3000
GPU: zotac gtx 1070 or 1080 mini
nvme = 1 for the os
2 x 2.5" sata ssd in raid 0. most likelly my left over samsung 850 evos.
power button = the one form sfflabs

currently have a evga gtx 1060 mini card which i know will fit, but i'm planning to get a 1070 or 1080 on this.

Would i have any issues with the components above? i have everything minus the case which is on it's way and a beefier gpu.

you don't have enough power, for Zotac 1070/1080.

Last edited:

DanT

Average Stuffer
Feb 6, 2018
A fellow S4M owner, I will try my best to answer your questions.
1) Any cards that have dual slots and length at 215mm or less will fit with no mod required. Since Zotac GTX1080 only 211mm and GTX1070 is 210mm, both fit no problems.
2) I owned both S4M-C and S4M; I can tell that S4M have more space to work in, easy to build. As for an S4M-Classic, the chassis is smaller, especially at GPU compartment.
3) Unfortunately, you might want to go for another CPU cooler, since Wraith Spire stock cooler height is 54mm. S4M only support CPU cooler up to 45mm.

Here is my S4M-C build on pcpartpicker. I hope it will help to distinguish the difference between S4M-C and S4M.
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/qHLJ7P

jchaney

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 2, 2018
you don't have enough power, for Zotac 1070/1080.

How do you figure? I have a similar system (minus 2 hard drives) and it runs fine with the 1070 ti mini. Also, check Josh's BOM's on the website, the HDPLEX400 and 330W dell brick are (one of) the recommended setups for those GPU's.

EDIT: According to pcpartpicker.com, he's around 299W.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I see you only find sfflab.com

Check out nfc-systems.com for the homepage.

Classic:

Skyreach:

See the web page for further details.
But anyway, the classic is, well, classic, as in not produced anymore. If you want one yoi'll need to buy in from third party (or maybe beg josh).

Main differences is the wrap around bezel in the classic vs front bezel in skyreach. Then skyreach is slightly bigger in all dimensions, length because it gets rid of that bezel at the 'bottom', about 2mm of height *I think*, and wider/deeper quite a bit, like 10mm or so.

Overall skyreach is much easier to work with, and fit more hardware.

Edit: found the dimensions

S4M-C
Exterior : 330 x 215 x 63
Interior : 324 x 203 x 57

S4M
Exterior : 348 x 225 x 64
Interior : 341 x 215 x 57

Last edited:

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
First of all, thank you all for the replies!

i just checked tracking details...........it ARRiVED st my local post office yesterday!!!!!

most likely going to get delivered to me today. Gosh, i feel like a little kid again ahah.

didnt expect the case to arrive so soon, now i gotta order a nvme ASAP LOL.

btw, how would i order a front bezel with the cutout for larger GPUs? i see some images of it online, but can't find it for sale.

was thinking of ordering a mahoganny front bezel, but i need it with the cutout. Mahoganny just looks pure SEXXXX.

DanT

Average Stuffer
Feb 6, 2018

i just checked tracking details...........it ARRiVED st my local post office yesterday!!!!!

most likely going to get delivered to me today. Gosh, i feel like a little kid again ahah.

btw, how would i order a front bezel with the cutout for larger GPUs? i see some images of it online, but can't find it for sale.

was thinking of ordering a mahoganny front bezel, but i need it with the cutout. Mahoganny just looks pure SEXXXX.
https://nfc-systems.com/shop-all?category=S4M Only

Try contact with Josh and ask him to modify the bezel.
Fill out this form and wait for him to rep.
https://nfc-systems.com/contact/

jchaney

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 2, 2018

If you’re putting a zotac mini in the S4 Mini (not classic), you won’t need a modified front bezel. Here’s mine with the Zotac 1070 Ti mini.

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
If you’re putting a zotac mini in the S4 Mini (not classic), you won’t need a modified front bezel. Here’s mine with the Zotac 1070 Ti mini.

YESSSSS! it just fits.

by the way, Josh from NFC also confirmed this via email. no modifications needed for s4m. cutout bezel only needed for older classic s4mini.

PS: Josh responded to my email within 5 minutes of me writting the email, i'm mighty impressed!

Ordered a mahogany front bezel, this bitch gonna be sexy!

Reactions: Nanook

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
finally here!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your input and also thanks Josh @ nfc for the quick responses and awesome craftsmanship. Going to have fun over the weekend assembling this

i just had to take a pic of the s4 mini next to my dark base pro 900: