New SFF Built Woes

weebuns

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 26, 2019
Hi All,

I'm in the process of building my first SFF build and am running into a few probs. After connecting everything up and powering it on, the fan in the PSU and CPU spins for a second then stops. The MB RGB lights are all on. I've taken the board and PSU out of the case and checked all cables are inserted correctly. Any thoughts anyone?

Specs are:

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
FAN: Noctua NH-L9x65
RAM: Corsair 163301 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
HD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB
PSU: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum

Cheers

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
Getting the obvious questions out of the way.
Did you hook every thing up outside the case and test it prior to assembly?
After initial issue presented?
Did you use the same cables as used during installation?
Did you try different cables one at a time?

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Will an x470i boot with a Ryzen 3000 chip at all if the bios hasn’t been updated?

Edit: Google says not likely. You will need to update your bios for that cpu board combo if you haven’t already.

Reactions: NateDawg72

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
SuperBiiz has the Athlon 200GE for $49 which is the lowest cost CPU that you can buy to update the BIOS on 400 series boards. You can find it on Amazon or Newegg for like $55.

SoulTribunal

Caliper Novice
May 19, 2019
AMD will ship a basic CPU to you for the purposes of updating the BIOS if you want. It's free too, I'm just not aware of the actual process of applying for it...

weebuns

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 26, 2019
Thanks all,

@SoulTribunal You seem to have to go through their warranty returns service and prove you need it. But I'm sure that could take months. I might just buy the cheapest one through amazon.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks all,

@SoulTribunal You seem to have to go through their warranty returns service and prove you need it. But I'm sure that could take months. I might just buy the cheapest one through amazon.

If you have a Micro Center near you I have read they will do the BIOS flash for like $20, if not a Micro Center you might check with local computer shops and see if anyone is willing to do it.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 29, 2019
Where are you located? I have 200ge that you could use, if you pay for shipping both ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

SoulTribunal

Caliper Novice
May 19, 2019
@weebuns I doubt it would take months but yeah it would be a lot faster to go to a retail store and get the update done for you or buy an athlon.

Here's AMD official explanation regarding upgrade kits:
AMD will offer affected and qualified users (as described below) an AMD Athlon 200GE Processor, including thermal solution, for short-term use ("boot kit") to perform the BIOS update on their motherboard.

This short-term processor loan or boot kit is offered through AMD warranty services and is available only for qualified users that:

1. Have made a valid purchase of a 3rd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and;
  2. Are unable to boot that processor because the user’s current X470/B450 BIOS must be upgraded first.
This service is free of charge with the following condition:

Once you have submitted your claim for a processor loan boot kit, AMD will require pictures of your 3rd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and AMD Socket AM4 400 Series motherboard, which clearly shows the model numbers and unique serial numbers as well as a copy of the purchase invoice(s) to authorize the request. Additionally, a summary or copy of communication with the motherboard manufacturer is requested to indicate why support from the Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) is not suitable.

Once the RMA request is approved, the AMD Athlon 200GE processor will be sent with pre-paid return shipping. The processor is provided as a temporary loan to you for the sole purpose of updating the BIOS and must be returned within 10 business days of receipt. It is not necessary to return the provided thermal solution.

To obtain the boot kit, please carefully follow these instructions:

1. Go to the AMD online warranty claims page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form
  2. Fill in your full contact and product details (3rd Gen Ryzen Processor OPN number and serial number)
  3. In the Problem Description field enter "Boot kit Required" (without quotes)
NOTE: The product must be a valid AMD processor with authentic OPN and serial number.

Once the claim is received and approved, confirmation details and boot kit instructions will be provided in a follow up email.

Bit of a run around but I like that they do offer the support.

weebuns

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 26, 2019
So I managed to get my hand on another processor and once installed it booted perfectly. I've update the BIOS and when installing the 3700X I now get a VGA light on the POST errors and no signal to the monitor. All the fans are spinning away fine. Very strange. I haven't yet reinstalled the old CPU to see if it still boots.

Any thoughts?

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
So I managed to get my hand on another processor and once installed it booted perfectly. I've update the BIOS and when installing the 3700X I now get a VGA light on the POST errors and no signal to the monitor. All the fans are spinning away fine. Very strange. I haven't yet reinstalled the old CPU to see if it still boots.

Any thoughts?

What GPU are you running with the 3700X?

Reactions: CountNoctua

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
What BIOS did you push on your board? My board would not update to the most current BIOS version to support the 3000 CPUs. I bought the X570-I from Gigabyte anyway to fix that issue and to be able to run both M.2s and the PCIe at full speed.

O

weebuns

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 26, 2019
I updated to version 2501 for the ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING

I'd no issues at all with the update.