New here ... first SFF build in almost 7 years

Hi, my name is Larry from Massachusetts. I have an existing SFF ITX build in an older Lian Li case (PC-Q18B) with an Intel i7-4770K built almost 7 years ago. Was considering building a new one based on a Ryzen 7 3700X in a M1 case using one of the upcoming B550 boards. I am not a gamer, but use it photo editing (Capture One Pro) and various other photo and video applications (as well as general web use). Was considering one of the Nvidia GPUs (maybe GTX 1660 series) as some of the apps can be accelerated with a GPU.

I do have an initial question regarding SFX power supplies which are hard to find right now. With the Corsair how much PSU margin is prudent? If I use the power supply calculator from Newegg, my wattage comes out around 300. Would something like the 450 watt model be the best one to use or should I upsize to the 600?

Reactions: Phuncz

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Welcome @LNH and I hope you'll enjoy you stay here. The 3700X and 1660 of any variant would have you below 300W. You'll be fine going with a 450W power supply. Probably better to go with a platinum rated one as this computer will be used for work.

Reactions: Phuncz