New build, 9,7 litre case!

Ola

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
I'm quite new here at the forum, and this is my first SFF build.

I've had a NZXT H2 chassi for the last 6 years, and other miditowers before that.

This time I wanted to build a SFF PC which has a small footprint on my desktop and is easy to bring with me if I feel like doing a LAN somewhere.

The parts:

Chassi: Kolink Rocket (Dan Case A4 SFX wannabe)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-i Gaming
CPU: Intel i7 8700K
CPU-Cooler: Cryorig C7
GPU: Geforce 1080 Founders Edition (had it since new)
RAM: G.Skill DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB RGB TridentZ
SSD: 1x Samsung 970 Evo NVME 500GB M.2 and 1x WD Blue 1TB SATA M.2
HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda Laptop HDD, 2,5" 7mm height 2TB
PSU: Corsair SF600

(Tried to add a couple of Noctua fans, with no success.)

All of the components (except the 2 HDDs, ordered them in hindsight.)

The very small motherboard, packed with functions!

The RAM-sticks, a whooping 100 dollars cheaper in my neighbour country, so I ordered from there.

The Windows/program drive, 500GB storage should be enough for a while.

The chassi, cost 170 euro while a Dan Case goes for around 280-300 euro. Still aluminium panels and a steel chassi.

One of the few SFX PSUs avaible around here, and I've good impression of Corsair since I've had another of their PSU:s for 6-7 years now.

I went for the best processor Intel have at the moment (sure there are better out there, bust costwise...) Have a 3770K running for the last 6 years now.

This SSD seemed to be out of stock everywhere, not manufactured anymore. Cheapest 1TB also, but I managed to find one at a local dealer.

Using this to store games for faster loading speeds.

Ordered a Noctua NH-L9i at first, but thought for myself that it's made for 65W TDP, so I went for the Cryorig C7 instead. Got a 120mm slim Noctua fan which I thought I could use instead of stock fan, but the RAM height stopped me.

The chassi itself. Looks pretty good, doesn't it?

The motherboard is smaller than my Google Pixel C...

Used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for thermal paste. Seems to work pretty well so far.

After I assembled the computer I had a issue with the WD SSD not being recognized. Looked it up, and realized that I had to switch place on my M.2 SSDs as the slots support different SSDs. And this heatsink sits tight with the CPU-cooler...

The cables from the PSU are very hard to work with. Some zipties are appreciated here.

Had to check the clearance with the PCI Express extender Cable. The 80mm fan is tightly squeezed in there.

Did a POST before I assembled the PC, but it's always nice to see it complete and working. :)

The old chassi is a NZXT H2 miditower.
The new chassi is quite a bit smaller... and have even more powerful components crammed inside.

The noice levels aren't too bad, did some Prime95 stress tests, but at most it peaked for a short while at 81-83 degrees Celsius, and then settling for 75 degrees. Turned of Multicore Enhancement (?) in BIOS, think that's a major difference.

Reactions: Weredawg and chyll2

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I'm quite new here at the forum, and this is my first SFF build.

I've had a NZXT H2 chassi for the last 6 years, and other miditowers before that.

This time I wanted to build a SFF PC which has a small footprint on my desktop and is easy to bring with me if I feel like doing a LAN somewhere.

The parts:

Chassi: Kolink Rocket (Dan Case A4 SFX wannabe)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-i Gaming
CPU: Intel i7 8700K
CPU-Cooler: Cryorig C7
GPU: Geforce 1080 Founders Edition (had it since new)
RAM: G.Skill DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB RGB TridentZ
SSD: 1x Samsung 970 Evo NVME 500GB M.2 and 1x WD Blue 1TB SATA M.2
HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda Laptop HDD, 2,5" 7mm height 2TB
PSU: Corsair SF600

(Tried to add a couple of Noctua fans, with no success.)

All of the components (except the 2 HDDs, ordered them in hindsight.)

The very small motherboard, packed with functions!

The RAM-sticks, a whooping 100 dollars cheaper in my neighbour country, so I ordered from there.

The Windows/program drive, 500GB storage should be enough for a while.

The chassi, cost 170 euro while a Dan Case goes for around 280-300 euro. Still aluminium panels and a steel chassi.

One of the few SFX PSUs avaible around here, and I've good impression of Corsair since I've had another of their PSU:s for 6-7 years now.

I went for the best processor Intel have at the moment (sure there are better out there, bust costwise...) Have a 3770K running for the last 6 years now.

This SSD seemed to be out of stock everywhere, not manufactured anymore. Cheapest 1TB also, but I managed to find one at a local dealer.

Using this to store games for faster loading speeds.

Ordered a Noctua NH-L9i at first, but thought for myself that it's made for 65W TDP, so I went for the Cryorig C7 instead. Got a 120mm slim Noctua fan which I thought I could use instead of stock fan, but the RAM height stopped me.

The chassi itself. Looks pretty good, doesn't it?

The motherboard is smaller than my Google Pixel C...

Used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for thermal paste. Seems to work pretty well so far.

After I assembled the computer I had a issue with the WD SSD not being recognized. Looked it up, and realized that I had to switch place on my M.2 SSDs as the slots support different SSDs. And this heatsink sits tight with the CPU-cooler...

The cables from the PSU are very hard to work with. Some zipties are appreciated here.

Had to check the clearance with the PCI Express extender Cable. The 80mm fan is tightly squeezed in there.

Did a POST before I assembled the PC, but it's always nice to see it complete and working. :)

The old chassi is a NZXT H2 miditower.
The new chassi is quite a bit smaller... and have even more powerful components crammed inside.

The noice levels aren't too bad, did some Prime95 stress tests, but at most it peaked for a short while at 81-83 degrees Celsius, and then settling for 75 degrees. Turned of Multicore Enhancement (?) in BIOS, think that's a major difference.
So it thermal throttled .

Ola

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Thanks! I did actually buy a Ncase M1 v6 chassi instead, for better support of cooling. Getting watercooling parts ready now.

But I also did a delid on my i7-8700K in December, which have resulted in between 15-20 degrees °C drop, which is really good.
So I guess it would have worked fine now, but still in the higher temp range.