Need tips on painting ncase m1

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 27, 2018
Hi Guys. Do you have any tips on painting anodized aluminum or more specifically the ncase m1?

Can I just prep the material like cleaning it warm soapy water and straight on paint it with spray can?

DTorgue

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2019
Hi Guys. Do you have any tips on painting anodized aluminum or more specifically the ncase m1?

Can I just prep the material like cleaning it warm soapy water and straight on paint it with spray can?

I would sand the panels first, probably 220 grit or so, and work up as needed. Wipe it down to remove dust. Clean with acetone or the like to degrease it. Spray with 3-4 coats of self-etching primer, as mentioned by W4rr10r. (It’s most def available at big box stores.) Sand the primer with 400 or so grit sand paper to smooth out the finish on the primer. Then you can top coat with paint of your choice. Spray clear enamel over the paint after a few days, if desired, to enhance durability.

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I would sand the panels first, probably 220 grit or so, and work up as needed. Wipe it down to remove dust. Clean with acetone or the like to degrease it. Spray with 3-4 coats of self-etching primer, as mentioned by W4rr10r. (It’s most def available at big box stores.) Sand the primer with 400 or so grit sand paper to smooth out the finish on the primer. Then you can top coat with paint of your choice. Spray clear enamel over the paint after a few days, if desired, to enhance durability.

This is basically it.

deathadder666

Trash Compacter
Feb 4, 2018
Do you just spray it outside? I was thinking of using a huge cardboard box to hang the panels of mine in, spray it and put it in there to keep dust off. Or can you wet sand with like 1000 grit after all the painting to smooth out the look? I'm a newbie with spray painting, just don't want to mess it up too bad. Thanks.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 27, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys. Can this thread be deleted. The purpose of this thread was for the then cheap Ncase M1 case that I bought. It had a few scratches due to age and was thinking of quick repainting it.

Unfortunately, it was worth more trouble (I thought I can done it cheap or with less materials) so I sold it.