Concept Need help with Rear I/O dimensions

Balkir

Case Bender
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
I've been working on a case for personal project of mine for a while and I'm about to get the parts cut soon, but I'm not sure about the dimensions for the rear I/O cutouts. Results from google and grabcad vary and I am afraid to get it wrong. I have been using mainly this image as reference.

How close should the motherboard be to the rear inside wall of the case? My current measurements seem okay but If anyone one has better/proven numbers that would be really helpfull. (Currently 2,2mm)

Then the I/O, this is were I am most uncertain. My case uses 12.5mm standoffs, My asumption was that the sketches I followed used 6mm as that's more common. Does it look alright?

I'm using 2mm thick aluminium panels bent with an inner radius of 2.6mm and am afraid the pci mounting screws will need a threaded hole in the bend (Like this) , in which case I'll have to drill those holes after bending.
some sources suggest that the 5,1mm measurement in this picture should be 8mm, yay or nay?

The whole case for those interested.

TLDR: More or less I am asking for accurate dimensions of rear I/O as those that I've found are so diffrent that I'm not sure which is correct. Or confirmation that my dimensions are correct.

Sorry if I posted this under the wrong category or part of the forums, I am quite new here.

Reactions: Biowarejak

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
First off, I've been having similar issues as you. Things are pretty unclear/varied about all the proper measurements for the Rear I/O esp. the PCIe slots. I do have a couple conclusions I've come to by measuring my own case(s) though.

I'm using 2mm thick aluminium panels bent with an inner radius of 2.6mm and am afraid the pci mounting screws will need a threaded hole in the bend (Like this) , in which case I'll have to drill those holes after bending.

I'm using inventor for designing my case and the inner radius it automatically calculated for me was 2mm in 2mm thick 6061 aluminum.

some sources suggest that the 5,1mm measurement in this picture should be 8mm, yay or nay?

I measured about 5.25mm to the center of the screw hole (on my caselabs case's PCIe slots) from the inside of the case (before the 90° bend) Hopefully that makes sense. so that means to me that the outside radius of the bend needs to be about 3.5mm for the hole to not be actually in the bend.

Anyways, having said all that, I really hope someone else chimes in as I've been having similar troubles.

Your Case looks good though :) May I ask what you designed it in and how you made the GIF?

EDIT: Also, according to my measurements the flange only needs to be about 12mm long from the inside of the case panel. it looked to me like you were doing 16mm but since it's outside the case ~12mm should be good imo since that is about how far the PCIe brackets stick out.

Last edited:

Balkir

Case Bender
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Your Case looks good though :) May I ask what you designed it in and how you made the GIF?

EDIT: Also, according to my measurements the flange only needs to be about 12mm long from the inside of the case panel. it looked to me like you were doing 16mm but since it's outside the case ~12mm should be good imo since that is about how far the PCIe brackets stick out.
I use Inventor for design/modeling and Fusion 360 for the GIF.

Yes the flange is excessively big but It won't matter too much as the connectors and peripheral cables will take about as much space. Also it becomes a tad bit easier making the bend with the press brake I have access to. Said press brake will give a radius of 2.6mm + my sheetmetal thickness for a total of 4.6mm outer bends, so sadly it will interfere a bit with the pci mounting holes.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
I use Inventor for design/modeling and Fusion 360 for the GIF.

Yes the flange is excessively big but It won't matter too much as the connectors and peripheral cables will take about as much space. Also it becomes a tad bit easier making the bend with the press brake I have access to. Said press brake will give a radius of 2.6mm + my sheetmetal thickness for a total of 4.6mm outer bends, so sadly it will interfere a bit with the pci mounting holes.
Ah, I see. Well, best of luck to ya on the build and everything! Looks like it'll be a good one :)

Still hoping we can get a few more opinions on everything just to confirm. You'd think it'd be pretty clear on the way all the measurements and everything need to be but at least I haven't found anything definitive yet.

Reactions: Biowarejak