Need Help with custom Sata cable / HDPLex

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
May 14, 2016
Hey guys,

I purchased an HDPLEX and was looking to connect a single sata connector to the 4pin connector on the PSU. As you can see the pin layout is as follows:

Now, I don't know if this is normal, as I thought it was the two 12v on top, followed by two grounds on the bottom?
Anyway...I ordered a 4pin atx to sata adapter that looks like this:

As you can see, it seems like the top two 12v wires are going to a single terminal? Is this normal and will it break my system? You can see in the bg listing the photo is different than what was sent.

I guess, on a final note/question...what is the correct wiring for a 4pin ATX to sata with the HDPLEX 250?I was under the assumption it was wired

V V
======> VGGV
G G

But on the HDPLEX it seems like the PSU is wired:

V G
G V

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The 4-pin connector on the HDPlex resembles the CPU power connector but it is not the same!

SATA has (starting from the little L-shaped piece): 3.3V, Ground, 5V, Ground, and 12V. 3.3V isn't usually needed for modern 2.5" and 3.5" drives though. http://www.smpspowersupply.com/Serial-ata-connector.GIF

It does look like the two 12V wires go to just the 12V terminals, so even if you cut off one wire and safely wired it to just 12V on the HDPlex (because otherwise you'd short the 12V and 5V together), it wouldn't work for an SSD because they run off 5V.