Need chair that isn't garbage.

laughing man

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
I just need a basic chair. Even a stack chair would do. But for some reason every chair I read about has reviews where people of normal weight somehow break the chairs, or the holes don't line up, or the elevator thing stops working...

I mean, companies are cutting corners on just about everything nowadays, but chairs... and old spindle type washing machines (now with plastic gears!) seem to get it the worst.

A thrift store is not an option unfortunately. Old chairs were made right.

Is there any other way to get a chair that actually works?

raymondo

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2015
The Ikea Marcus is a solid choice at a reasonable price.
On a totally different level: I've had a rattan chair somewhat like this for the last 10 years and my back is doing fine with no problems at all. I also got a dining table for gaming so the height is very comfy as I can sit very far below the table with my stomach touching the table.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I have a Steelcase Gesture at work (I paid for it, so it's mine if/when I leave) and really like it. I also have a cheapo armless office chair at home that I've had for years (Ikea?). It's good enough. Unfortunately, the Steelcase, which is the best office chair according to The Wirecutter, retails for about US$1000 shipped. Might be cheaper to physically build your own.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Chairs are a pain in the ass. You want good, then it will cost... I would also put my bet on the Marcus from Ikea if you are on a budget. But I personally didnt like it that much. I went with another model (cant remember name), that felt better at the store, but turned out to be quite flawed and uncomfortable in the end.

laughing man

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Just ended up buying a $40 stack chair. Things are just getting toooooo expensive nowadays. Hopefully they didn't make the metal too thin.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Just ended up buying a $40 stack chair. Things are just getting toooooo expensive nowadays. Hopefully they didn't make the metal too thin.
Well... Comfort and price never go hand in hand in the good way.

I am still looking to buy the Vertagear Triigger 350. But that price of 600 EUR is one challenging price tag.... But it is the closest thing to a Herman-Miller you can get without paying 900+ EUR..

Reactions: Soul_Est

Alastor

Case Bender
Nov 21, 2017
www.bestadvisers.co.uk
I have a gaming chair at home from noblechairs. And usual office chair at work - here is it

A gaming chair I have about 2 years old and it broke only once when I dropped the dumbbell on the leg of the chair. Cracked the wheel, but that`s all. And the chair that at work - I've been sitting on it for about a year and a half. At the same time, I made some exercises while sitting. Turnings and the slopes, in general, the load on the chair is quite strong, but also never broke - the only problem is that it is not comfortable and sometimes the backaches, I even put myself a special back for additional support of the waist (in the photo it is clearly visible)
P.S. I`m at work right now so made a photo, later at home I can also add a photo of the gaming one as I don`t remember the model.