Prebuilt Getting around a PCIe Slot 35W limit

chn

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
So I was fortunate enough to score an old PC from work for EUR 20.00 - an HP ProDesk 600 G3 SFF.

The machine has an Intel i7-7700 CPU, 32GB RAM and a 512GB SSD, and I was thinking about the viability of using it as a gaming machine by adding a GPU.

Unfortunately, being an OEM prebuilt, the PSU is only 180W, and the PCIe x16 slot is limited to only 35W. So I was thinking of transplanting it to another case, and buying a new, higher capacity PSU so that I'm not limited to a single-slot, low-profile, low wattage GPU. I would also need an adapter cable to be able to use the standard ATX connector with the non-standard power input on the motherboard.

However, I'm not sure how I would get around the 35W limit on the PCIe slot. Would this cable allow me to get around that?

There seems to be a whole lot of conflicting views online about adding GPUs to these office-class SFF machines, for understandable reasons. I'm hoping there is some experience I can draw from here.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Never tried anything on that topic, but I would have suggested that the missing 40W from the PCIe slot could be taken from the 6 or 8 pin connector, as mentioned here:

If you have such external connector on your GPU that is...

Reactions: chn and rfarmer

chn

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Thanks @BaK, I was thinking that already that I would pick something that would also use auxiliary power. Just wasn't sure whether a certain amount of power was expected from the slot itself before the GPU feeds from the 6/8 pin connector.

Reactions: Phuncz