Running a 3700X with Noctua L9i

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm planning on swapping out my power limited 9700k on an AsRock Phantom Gaming ITX for a 3700X on an AsRock Phantom Gaming ITX due to concerns around cooling the CPU and also for future proofing the system.

Something I'm interested in knowing however, is even though the 3700X is a 65W chip, will I need to do any undervolting or BIOS setting adjustments to ensure it is not exceeding its advertised TDP and resulting in an overheating system?

I have a Velka 5 so I have to rely on only the CPU cooler but it does get plenty of airflow obviously.
I've seen people running 3950X's in this case with relatively restpectable temps but I believe undervolting was in play there - just curious for peoples thoughts or advise.

Thanks!

saxovtsmike

Chassis Packer
Feb 25, 2020
Stumbled across their compatibility List a view months ago, after a quick search. Fell in love with the L9i Chromax black I mounted on my wifes 6/7th gen I5 and wanted to know if it would be sufficient for my 8700k, which sadly it wasn´t. They List more or less every CPU with every Cooler.

Frenzy

Trash Compacter
Feb 14, 2020
I'm running 3700x with L9a. The L9i is slightly different, i'm reading it's compatible with both. I guess you get extra brackets supplied with the L9i to have it fit on AM4.

Cooling wise, AMD went the intel route with the 65W TDP, its more like ~90W.
It's much hotter than the 2700x also rated as 65W TDP.
3700x, 65W TDP is probably limiting the CPU to its base-clock only.

If have PBO off, and slight offset undervolt, and the advised power plan.
My main issue was the high idle temperature (normal, ~55 to 60) load spikes at idle with cause the fan to ramp up and down, even with a fan delay.
With the measures taken I eliminated this behavior mostly. So quiet enough during idle.
edit: I forgot, I added a 3d printed fan duct on my DAN A4, that helped a lot.

The cooler is fine for gaming, the cpu is not really taxed.
Dont expect to be able to cool rendering or similar work. Cinebench r20 would thermal throttle at 95deg in minutes.
With limiting factors, Cinebench r20 still maxes out near the end as i recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone and Tazpr