Concept Necere's concept/ideation thread

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
My dream case was an M1, and I bought it :)

But lifes changed a bit now, and i'd say it's (roughly) a brushed aluminium corsair one. Twin dual rads, with a big fan on the top taking the air our for both.

People choose m-itx because they want a small form factor, maybe space is at a premium on their desks. The tower style has the smallest footprint at the cost of a bit of height, which most people would not notice loosing as long as it did not go over the height of their monitor.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hey, im new here and I know this is not a "make a wish" thread to you, but I hope to give the right guy(s) something like an concept idea so that my dream case someday will be avaliable^^

Basically its somewhat like an Corsair 250D or Bitfenix Prodigy/Phenom but made in an quality we know from the Ncase M1 and other LianLi manufactured cases. Also it should only be only as big as it needs to be while still not making compromises on performance.

The case that come closest to what I would want is the Lian li Q33 but its not long enough for high performance GPUs and on the other hand some things (ATX PSU and 3.5" HDDs) are unneccesary space consuming.

My dreamcase concept idea:
Seen from behind: The SFX(-L) PSU on the bottom left, right of it would be place for 2x 2.5" SSDs (Q33 has place for ATX PSU + 3.5" HDD)
Over them the horizontal ITX mainbaord tray. The whole internals long enough to support ~280mm 3 slot GPUs. In the front of the Case on the other side of the GPU would be enough place for an Watercooling stuff:
Behind the front there would be an somewhat-slideable 240mm mount (vertical from top to bottom) like the one on the Ncase M1 side, where you can connect an thick powerfull AiO or custom radiator. Slidable because if you use an long GPU it should be mounted more on the right side (seen from the front). If you use external radiators you could place an full sized pump and reservoir here.
The height between the mainboard tray and top of the case would be lower than Q33, just enough to fit an 92mm fan and to fit powerfull GPUs.
Near the 92mm fan grill there would be the same tubing holes like the Q33 or the same like on the Ncase M1 turned 90 degrees to use external watercooling radiators.

To get enough cooling even with air cooling, every panel would be perforated like on the the NCase M1 and in similar design: Each side gets an own panel, not like on DAN A4 or LianLi Q50 or something. The panels are all clipped on the main frame where the "somewhat slidable" 240mm Mounts are also mounted on (like the M1 with different screw hole positions).

Optional: If there is still place under the top, an somewhat-slidable 240mm radiator mount on the top, maybe designed as such, that you can choose if you want to place it under the top or behind the front.

If im guessing right, that all would have measurements of about (WxHXD) 240x310x310 and 23L while having no compromises on performance.

Because of the horizontal mainboard conception and because each panel can be dismounted easily working on it would probably be very easy. The thing has enough room for even extendable 240mm AiOs with an thick radiator to cool CPU and GPU. Even the powerfull Swiftech H220 X2 would probalby fit. If you want to use an external radiator, you can use an non compromise pump and reservior inside because it has enough room. (We Germans love big external radiators btw. :D)

I really hope you or others that have the ability to make such an case could think about that concept, maybe my dreamcase will someday be availiable in an similar form like the described/dreamed above! :)
Sounds like you're describing the Caselabs Bullet BH2. It's pretty close except for front 240 rad support (it does support a top 240 though).

Personally I'm not a big fan of the more cube-ish cases like this, which is why I went with a mini-tower design for the M1.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
My dream case was an M1, and I bought it :)

But lifes changed a bit now, and i'd say it's (roughly) a brushed aluminium corsair one. Twin dual rads, with a big fan on the top taking the air our for both.
Fully negative pressure though, and with no dust filters. I'd hate to see the rads in the One after a year or two.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Fully negative pressure though, and with no dust filters. I'd hate to see the rads in the One after a year or two.

Just cut a leg portion out of a pair of pantyhose, slide it over the tower, dust managed...! ;^p

(..now to figure out how to add RGB LED Goodness to the pantyhose...)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Just cut a leg portion out of a pair of pantyhose, slide it over the tower, dust managed...! ;^p
That's going to add a bunch of restriction though, and with only a single 140mm fan pulling air through 480 worth of rad, you're really going to be spreading the available static pressure pretty thin. I think the performance in that scenario will be marginal.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

That's going to add a bunch of restriction though, and with only a single 140mm fan pulling air through 480 worth of rad, you're really going to be spreading the available static pressure pretty thin. I think the performance in that scenario will be marginal.

;^p = facetious

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
So adding filters to my spec too :D

Fan could even be swapped to create positive pressure, I'm surprised it isn't bigger too.

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017
So something like this?

Where do you imagine the PSU would go, over the CPU?
This would be around 28L at 170mm wide.
So I did some clicking around out of boredom and something like this exists for ITX, just not atx. I was actually surprised at how large the ITX version was, so maybe I need to stop pretending it'll work for ATX, lol!

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ng-from-14-5l-to-11-9l.7011/page-3#post-99203

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Another take on 20L mATX:

Trying out ideas to get this layout looking a little more premium, because the previous version really wasn't. Tricky when you need to have that front open for ventilation.

Also incorporating a basement to hide drives and cable clutter, something you rarely see in SFF cases. Figure that makes some sense for a case with a window.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
And for something a little different, how about another vertical case?

I was thinking about the Corsair One and vertical cases more generally (had something to do with the Mach One launch, I'm sure), and knocked this thing out. Typical back-to-back layout, unusual only really for the vertical orientation with the rear I/O at the bottom and a 140mm exhaust fan at the top. Air in through the sides and out through the top, aided by the fan, benefits overall system cooling and potentially keeps noise levels lower.

The bottom cap ideally would be rubberized plastic or something else nonmetallic so as to not block wifi/bluetooth transmission.

Specs:
  • Dimensions: 430x150x190mm, 12.3L
  • CPU cooler: 65~70mm
  • GPU: 300mm+ long, 140mm+ tall
  • PSU: SFX only (no SFX-L)
  • Drives: 1-2x 2.5", slim optical drive
  • Fans: 1x 140mm top

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

I was thinking about the Corsair One and vertical cases more generally (had something to do with the Mach One launch, I'm sure), and knocked this thing out. Typical back-to-back layout, unusual only really for the vertical orientation with the rear I/O at the bottom and a 140mm exhaust fan at the top. Air in through the sides and out through the top, aided by the fan, benefits overall system cooling and potentially keeps noise levels lower.

The bottom cap ideally would be rubberized plastic or something else nonmetallic so as to not block wifi/bluetooth transmission.

Specs:

Maybe a bit wider to support the Noctua NH-L12S & the rash of triple fan / 2.5 slot GPUs (thicker heatsinks for quieter cooling)...?

Reactions: SeeFiFo

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe a bit wider to support the Noctua NH-L12S & the rash of triple fan / 2.5 slot GPUs (thicker heatsinks for quieter cooling)...?
Yeah, it could probably do one or the other right now, but I'd have to bump the width up a bit to get both.

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
I like that a lot - would imagine there should be more open holes at the bottom of the vented area too so more air enters there, or a way to do that internally to keep the sleek look?

wider would also mean a larger than 140mm fan <could> be used, and potentially additional radiator space space.

downside is the size then goes up, making it larger than the one.

Last edited:

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
I like it! Love the contrast between the bottom (black) and the top (silver). def a bold design! (also reminds me of the first iPhone lol)

The only thing that I'm not a fan of is the front I/O - Is it possible to integrate it better with the outer shell (see pic below)? Also, I'd position it in another place but as far as I can see there's no room anywhere.

Besides having all cables on the bottom rear what does set it apart from the DSE Breathe? :)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016

Specs:
How difficult would it be to mimic the way air flows in the Corsair One, where a single 140 top exhaust fan pulls air only from the sides through the slim radiators? Does that require good sealing from everywhere in the case (bottom, front, back, gaps) to prevent passive intake, to force airflow through the side radiators (or heatsink)?

SomeBeardo

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2018
Another take on 20L mATX:

Trying out ideas to get this layout looking a little more premium, because the previous version really wasn't. Tricky when you need to have that front open for ventilation.

Also incorporating a basement to hide drives and cable clutter, something you rarely see in SFF cases. Figure that makes some sense for a case with a window.

I really dig that. I think it does a lot of things well.
Questions, though:
Still 130-135 for the cooler?
Is the basement actually a separate chamber or just "cover-up" from the side panel?
Does the render already take into effect 2 front 25mm case fans?

I also really like the vertical concept. I hadn't "fallen" for any of the previous things that I've seen in any of the case/concept threads but this one is a bit more attention grabbing. It looks like I'd want it on my desk.

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
Been thinking about that vertical case.

This is pretty much how I imagine the new mac pro will be...