Ncase Rear Nvme cooling

dunknown

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 22, 2020
Hi All,
I have just finished my first SFF build into the ncase m1.

Does anyone have any recommendation for cooling the rear nvme drive?

I am thinking of using a thermal pad to reach the side of the case, has anyone done this?

Thanks

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I used this heatsink. You need to make sure you have bottom fans installled. Intake or exhaust doesn't matter for the M.2 but you need airflow on the back of the motherboard. Lowered the temps of my M.2 NVMe by over 10C.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I’ve used both quality thermal pads that dissipate heat/contact the side panel but also used the heatsink @rfarmer suggests in his post above. I recommend going with the heatsink since it’s a much more straight forward option and the results are very similar. Make sure there’s some upwards airflow too

Reactions: tinyitx and rfarmer

dunknown

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 22, 2020
I’ve used both quality thermal pads that dissipate heat/contact the side panel but also used the heatsink @rfarmer suggests in his post above. I recommend going with the heatsink since it’s a much more straight forward option and the results are very similar. Make sure there’s some upwards airflow too

Yeah I have 2x NF-A12X15 (Bottom intake) in my build

I tried a small 1.5mm copper heatsink with 1mm thermal pad. And it is cooler at idle. But underload I think its actually warmer 5-7c.

I initially got the EK nvme heatsink but it would not fit on my nvme height (asus b550 strix). - Note for others

Thinking about changing to a 3.5mm heatsink, but am not sure.

Also the Asus B550 strix nvme screw is in a bad spot on the rear, it is close/under part of the chassis structure. (so its a pain to change with out removing everything)