14mm vs 25mm rear fan? Gigabyte X570

Epos7

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
I'm in the process of upgrading my NCASE build. I've ordered a Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI and the Noctua AM4 mounting kit for my C14.

I'd like to use a 92mm rear exhaust fan this time around, I'm just wondering if a 25mm thick one would fit. With my previous (X99) board, a 14mm fan is the only way to fit an exhaust fan in the back of the case, as a thicker fan would run into the C14.

Does anyone have experience with this board who could comment on the CPU location and corresponding clearance for a rear fan?

Thanks!

Epos7

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
Looking at images of the two boards, it appears the CPU socket is further from the rear I/O on the Gigabyte board, so I'm thinking I might just get that extra 11mm. Hard to say though.

Epos7

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
I did a dry fit with the Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI and Noctua C14 today. There's 16-17mm of clearance behind the C14, so a 15mm fan will be the only option. I'll have to figure out a different way to attach the fans to the C14 as the stock mounting clips would interfere with a 92mm rear fan.

It appears the only configuration in which the C14 will fit is with the heatpipes running vertically and pointing down (ends of heatpipes point at graphics card). This actually works out well as the fins are horizontal, so a rear exhaust fan can pull air through the CPU heatsink.

Still, happy everything looks to fit well. Mounting the C14 with the AM4 bracket is infinitely easier than mounting it on an X99 CPU because you can access the screws through the holes in the top of the cooler.

Haven't tested so I can't say for sure, but it looks like the C14 will fit with a 140mm fan on top and bottom.

Last edited:

marcastro

Case Bender
New User
Jun 16, 2019
Just curious, have you finished this build? I'll be going with the same mobo and CPU cooler and was wondering how much thermals improve with the added 92mm rear fan.

Epos7

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
Yup, all finished. I didn't test without the 92mm rear fan so I can't say for sure. Currently have it as an exhaust fan but I'm curious to try as intake.

3900X temps seem pretty good as far as I can tell.