Ncase N1 - Double thickness 120 AIO Possible?

mardon85

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Feb 25, 2020
Hello everyone. I've just completed my NCase M1 build with the following spec:

Core System:
  • Msi Gaming Carbon z370i
  • 9700k @ 5.1ghz 24/7
  • Gigabyte Gaming OC 2080 ti
  • Corsair SF750
  • 16Gb Corsair Ddr4 @ 3700mhz

Storage:
  • Saberent 1tb M.2
  • 500gb Crucial SSD
  • 2tb Samsung HDD

Cooling:
  • Kraken G12 + corsair h50 - GPU (Noctua redux fans on rad and bracket).
  • Corsair H60 CPU
  • Noctua Redux 1700RPM fans

Sound:
  • Creative G6
  • Sennheiser 6XX cans
Fitting the dual AIO's in was a challenge but once I got the orientation right they went in nicely. The CPU AIO radiator is actually sitting over the PSU and the GPU radiator sits over the CPU block. I figured give the radiator which will be dealing with the most heat for sustained periods the larger space.

However now I have had some time to play with it extensively the initially fantastic performance of the Kraken AIO G12 I falling a little short. I was playing PUBG TDM last night at 3440x1440 98FPS locked and temps eventually reached 73C (after around 3 hours) and crashed (Higher temps usual results in higher voltage required to sustain a speed and my under volt didn't like the higher temps). Perhaps I need to have another go at reseating and pasting it? It seems after extended plays the cooling solutions becomes overwhelmed?

Has anyone had any luck getting an H80i v2 in there (I'm also looking at an older H70)? Or can anyone offer any suggestions to improve my GPU temps? Obviously I won't be able to run push pull but I figured a deeper radiator and ether a 15 or 25mm 120mm Noctua in pull config would be better than a 25mm radiator with x2 25x120mm Noctua's in push/pull.

In addition I only have x1 15x120mm noctua fan at the bottom of the case blowing air over the VRM closest to the IO shield and the the 92mm Noctua mounted to the G12 bracket blowing air back across the card.

Anyway here are some pictures. Any feedback most welcome!

nkresho

Cable Smoosher
Dec 14, 2019
Super clean build, but I love the desk. Did you make it? Cable management behind the "v" is nice. The white channel on your baseboard is also nearly invisible.

Minimalism and attention to detail are on point.

Sorry no input on your case-specific question. But sweet build and implementation.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Hey there,

I currently have my ncase setup with 2 120mm aios as well.
I have an 8700k @ 5.0ghz on an alphacool LT120 and a H55 with a Kraken G12 on a 2080ti.

I am yet to see my GPU go over 62 degrees and I dont have my fan curve really ramp up until 70, so it might be worth re-pasting. Though I would have thought the temps would be worse than they are if it needed that. Always worth a shot though.

FWIW I am running my GPU vertically with the 2 aio's in the bottom of the case.

mardon85

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Feb 25, 2020
Super clean build, but I love the desk. Did you make it? Cable management behind the "v" is nice. The white channel on your baseboard is also nearly invisible.

Minimalism and attention to detail are on point.

Sorry no input on your case-specific question. But sweet build and implementation.

Wow thanks for the feedback. Its a John Lewis (UK) desk. The Mrs wasn't happy when I said I wanted the PC in the dining room so I had to ensure it fit in with the rest of the house! Just noticed a few cables poking out from behind the V!! I'll sort that tonight :D

Hey there,

I currently have my ncase setup with 2 120mm aios as well.
I have an 8700k @ 5.0ghz on an alphacool LT120 and a H55 with a Kraken G12 on a 2080ti.

I am yet to see my GPU go over 62 degrees and I dont have my fan curve really ramp up until 70, so it might be worth re-pasting. Though I would have thought the temps would be worse than they are if it needed that. Always worth a shot though.

FWIW I am running my GPU vertically with the 2 aio's in the bottom of the case.

Interesting! Do you have any pictures of it mounted? I have another fan arriving tonight so will remount and see if temps drop. The H55 is pretty old (7 years) I wonder if its down on fluid? The radiator is doing its job as it is roasting to the touch after some heavy gaming!

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
My 2 cents:

• Change your dual 120 AIO setup for a single 240 AIO for your CPU and go for either a shroudless GPU with 2x 25mm fans underneath or remove the GPU heatsink and attach an Arctic Accelero.
  • Undervolt your GPU.
  • Replace the thermal paste on your CPU and GPU with higher quality one or liquid metal.
Either one of those options could help you bring down temps. FYI, currently I have an Ncase M1 with a 9700k @ 4.8Ghz using a 240 AIO. Temps never get above 53c. I also have a 2080S with the Arctic Accelero and 2 Noctua NF12 and temps never get above 53c either.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Interesting.
I used to run an accellero. I still have it but I was running it on a 1080ti. While I found it very effective I found it noisier than the aio and g12 combo.

As I like my pc as quiet as I can while sff I stuck with the aio.

The last time I saw temps as low as you are quoting though I was running a custom loop with 2 240mm rads so kudos to your setup :)

mardon85

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Feb 25, 2020
My 2 cents:

• Change your dual 120 AIO setup for a single 240 AIO for your CPU and go for either a shroudless GPU with 2x 25mm fans underneath or remove the GPU heatsink and attach an Arctic Accelero.
  • Undervolt your GPU.
  • Replace the thermal paste on your CPU and GPU with higher quality one or liquid metal.
Either one of those options could help you bring down temps. FYI, currently I have an Ncase M1 with a 9700k @ 4.8Ghz using a 240 AIO. Temps never get above 53c. I also have a 2080S with the Arctic Accelero and 2 Noctua NF12 and temps never get above 53c either.

I think I could get similar temps on the CPU running less voltage and Mhz, tbh I'm not too fussed about the CPU. It doesn't throttle and runs 100% stable.

I had a 2080 Super last month and was getting similar temperatures as you. Its a much smaller die with fewer cores.

I'll repast tomorrow and run it in push pull and report back.
I'm running off the motherboard fan header and controlling the fan curv via software linked to GPU temp. So should be able to get near silence at idle and a tweaked curve when gaming.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah on the v5 ncase there is a clear area you can just cut out of ether 92mm fan grill. Then there is an aluminium adapter you can buy that screws into the 92mm fan holes.
I haven’t actually used the bracket yet. I have it still all wRapped up and new as I might resell as I am potentially moving to the sidearmd case soon

mardon85

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Feb 25, 2020
Ok spoke too soon.. ish. With the 2080ti running at 1920mhz_Core/7500Mhz_RAM @ 0.85v the card will stay below 55C. However i'd ideally like to unlock more potential from the 2080Ti when running OC'd. The card can run 2100mhz_Core/8000mhz_RAM @ 1.0v but the temperature gradually increases until the 120mm AIO is overcome after a few hours with the core ending up a 2010mhz. Having searched and searched for a second hand Corsair H70 or Artic Freezer 1 with a 49mm depth radiator I gave up. I was also a little concerned with liquid permeation with their age of a second hand unit.

I accidentally stumbled across this Astec Gen 4 120/49mm AIO which looks almost identical to my H55 but with a double thickness radiator and the thinner tubing.
It arrives tomorrow, fitting it in could be a challenge but since in my setup the Rad for the GPU actually sits over the motherboard vs the PSU i've got some head room to get the 49mm thickness radiator and a 25mm NF_A12. I doubt i'll be able to run push pull with 15+25mm fans but we'll see. I've also got the benefit of it being brand new, my H55 is 5 years old so probably isn't in the best shape as is. I'm hoping to drop 5/8C ish off my temps? Once the tubing has settled into place and I can dismantle and reassemble easier i'll put liquid metal on the GPU core to get a couple more degrees.

I'll report back my findings, temps and pictures later this week. Little Bonus is overclockers were willing to split the kit for me and sell me just the rad!

I'd say bar going custom liquid loop this is probably as best as I can achieve for combined cooling. The final step will be to get another NF_A12 on the CPU radiator and try direct die cooling for the 9700k.

The Ncase M1 has been great fun to build in and getting it to where it is now has been almost as fun as actually gaming on it!

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
You are not wrong. I have had so many iterations in my ncase over the last couple of years. It’s been a blast.

mardon85

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Feb 25, 2020
Well I can report it worked and fit easily! No more difficult to install than the H55 as I was correct it's nearly identical bar radiator thickness.

I'll report back temps for those interested.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/pUYElrM"><a href="//imgur.com/a/pUYElrM"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mardon85

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Feb 25, 2020
Update.
I wasn't 100% happy with the 2080Ti temps so i've made some updates:
I managed to source a 49mm deep radiator which was essentially the same in all other aspects as the Corsair H55.
Installed a fan controller for the 92 and 120mm redux fans for the GPU incoming air and the NF-A12x15 extract below the GPU block. I'm hoping the air will be drawn over the card then exhausted out.
Swapped out the fans for CPU & GPU fans for noctua nf-a12x25 -TIP.. Don't bother with any other fan. These are so much quieter than the redux fans. Even at 100% they're not that loud.

Very happy with the results 52C in metro and 45C in COD Warzone.

mardon85

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Feb 25, 2020

I've added a temporary cover until I can make something a bit nicer to hide the cables so that when the metal cover is on the outside it looks neater. You can just see the fan controller knob to the bottom left of the PSU.

Reactions: pchangover