Cooling NA-FD1 + NH-L9i vs. IS-47K?

axtran

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
I'm putting together a Dan A4 build to reduce some weight when I'm traveling. I have a few different cooling options available to me right now, including the Asetek 645LT, an NH-L9i, and a IS-47K.

Noctua recently released a fan ducting kit (nice foam) for the NH-L9i/L9a to be ducted to the vents of SFF cases (neat!) and I'm looking to buy it. Do you think that it would beat putting a NF-A9x14 on the IS-47K or a 645LT?

I'm leery that the 645LT being mounted with radiator on bottom and pump/block combo would be conducive to portability considering bubble potential. I am also wondering if an L9i is at it's maximum if challenged by a i5-11400 or i5-11600K (I have both), and all reviews I've found for the IS-47K don't seem to make it look like it's much better, either.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I can only speak from my own experience about the L9a and do so, with the fact that I haven't really tested anything else yet. But it is good. It will be able to handle your 11400 without any issues while being silent. I'm also new to pc building in general, only have a single system (Dan A4 as well) that went through some changes (including it having a custom 120mm aio which was great btw), but I still consider the L9a to be the most ideal overall with the right components. I did not even use thermal paste, but a suboptimal carbon pad on the cpu and it's still fine (Ryzen 3300x) will switch to paste later for even further improvements. And the L9a somehow cools the front M.2 as well from 60'c (with aio) to 47'c, which is awesome.

You'll need a fan duct (3D-printed or by Noctua), proper advanced power settings for minimum processor state, a slight undervolt with reasonable fan curves, both case fans, and good cable management... But after all these optimizations you'll have a silent, reliable system. As for the Asetek, I do not recommend it. It deprives the build from airflow due to it taking away the case fans and just generally being way too stuffed. I never seen one build that did not hurt my eyes due to how cramped everything was in there. It's also going to increase the weight of your system substantially - which is not optimal when you're on the road. Same goes for having a watercooled system in general, that's perhaps a bit too dangerous to lug around.

On a sidenote, now you don't have to order the AXP90 Full Copper from AliExpress, it is now suddenly available from amazon. Which makes me tempted to try it myself.

axtran

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
Yeah, I've used the L9i in different applications over the years, including a S4 Mini Classic build that my friend still uses to this day. I know in hardcore benchmarking the L9i can potentially get crushed (think like MCE tech to max) but I have yet to see real-world use cases crumble. My intention with going 11400 is to actually supercede my current portable machine (3600X) for both the weight as well as the size dynamic (Node 202 vs. Dan A4 is wild in weight reduction).

I have an AXP100 Retro, and although it is nice, it isn't going to fit the Dan A4 :)