Current progress...

Yeh...A lot of stuff to get in there, LOL. :eek:

...but I got it all to fit :D

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Very nice!
Even though the X looks sooooo much more spacious than the vanilla Shift, components are still so close to one another. Eg rad and GPU.

Nwkrep82

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 15, 2017
Beautiful!

The shift-x seems a bit tall, isn't it?..:)

LOL. It is relatively 'tall' (650mm), but it has such a small footprint (170mm x 274mm), Because of that, it's more compact in person than you would think by just looking at pics (or video). When in its vertical position, it has a smaller footprint than a S4 Mini (in a horizontal position).

Very nice!
Even though the X looks sooooo much more spacious than the vanilla Shift, components are still so close to one another. Eg rad and GPU.

That's because this extra space comes from its height. The footprint on Shift and Shift X are exactly the same. That means rad and gpu clearance are exactly the same. That extra space only adds height to lower area. The motherboard area is exactly the same.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Very nice. I saw a couple other people trying to watercool the smaller Shift and didn't work out really well. Where as the Shift X looks like it can handle it very well.

Sweet looking build.

Nwkrep82

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 15, 2017
Nice! How do you like it overall?

Looking at getting the smaller Shift maybe. The PCIE riser issue is kind of worrying though.

I'm really loving this case. It's not perfect...but, in my opinion, no case is. There is definitely some areas that could use a little improvement.

It took some thought to get everything in and organized, but I like a challenge. I have a few ideas lined up that I can't wait to implement in the near future.

I have no issues with the PCIE riser cable.

Update:

Went from the 7700K to this (I already owned the delid tool...my 7700K is also delidded)

FYI: The EK-FB ASUS Z270I Strix RGB Monoblock fits perfectly on the ASUS Z370I Strix.

However, the RGB strip in the monoblock is NOT compatible with the Z370I.

The Strix Z370I only has a 3-pin addressable RGB header, whereas the Z270I has your standard 4-pin RGB header.

The RGB strip in the monoblock is removable, so I just put in a compatible addressable RGB strip. I cut the strip to fit and sleeved the cable.

Works perfectly :D

Nyxis

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2017
This build is so amazing. This really fueled my drive to go custom watercooling in this case.

Im SUPER exited to see temps on this!! Plz hurry and get those public! :D

Im curious as to what you would think about a single 280rad in push for cooling this case. The bottom being w/o rad might introduce cooler air to the rest of the case? What do you think? Cheers.

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2016
@Nwkrep82

I have a 270i and a 7700k, and at even mild overclocks, loading the CPU will result in coil whine from the motherboard. Different sources of 100% load will result in whine of a slightly different pitch/character.

- have you noticed (on your 270i or 370i) any 'coil whine' type load coming from your motherboard VRM?

It's not super important for me, as I know this whine will be inaudible once the rig is in a case, but I'm trying to collect more data.

Great job with the shift-x, BTW. Stellar work. Also heartening to know that the monoblock fits on both. Truly a new architecture XD

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
What psu are you using with your mb? Coil whine on mb was existing quite a few years ago..and it should be gone...at least normally. It could be linked to incompatibility between mb and psu.

Nyxis

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2017
@Nwkrep82 Another thing.

Can you go over how you hooked up your commander pro? Do you have a usb2 adapter on the usb3 mobo header? And how did you do the LED setup?

Nwkrep82

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 15, 2017
Damn that looks good. How are your temps on the 8700k after delidding it?

This build is so amazing. This really fueled my drive to go custom watercooling in this case.

Im SUPER exited to see temps on this!! Plz hurry and get those public! :D

Im curious as to what you would think about a single 280rad in push for cooling this case. The bottom being w/o rad might introduce cooler air to the rest of the case? What do you think? Cheers.

I don't have any before delidding temps. I delidded the processor before I even installed. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time for testing, but I'm sitting at an overclock of 5 GHZ at around 1.3v. I still have some stress testing to do and fan profiles to work out.

Gaming temps varies due to the fact that when the overclocked Titan Xp gets pushed, it affects the temps of the whole loop. For example , a game that really utilizes the cores, and I'm gaming at 4K with this setup, things can really heat up. Then the temps are also affected over time as the liquid gets warmed up. I've seen temps while gaming as low as 45c CPU and 50c GPU, or as high as 70c CPU and 70c GPU depending on the game. Also, an increase in one temp affects the other.

I still have some tweaks and testing to do. I'll post some more definitive numbers once it's all done.

I don't see a problem with using a 280 rad in push with a fan on the bottom for intake. Of course your temps will vary based on your hardware and settings (overclocking, etc). Almost all these parts were transferred from another build. Since I already had a 240 rad and I wanted to put as much rad as possible, I added the 120 rad at the bottom.

@Nwkrep82

I have a 270i and a 7700k, and at even mild overclocks, loading the CPU will result in coil whine from the motherboard. Different sources of 100% load will result in whine of a slightly different pitch/character.

- have you noticed (on your 270i or 370i) any 'coil whine' type load coming from your motherboard VRM?

It's not super important for me, as I know this whine will be inaudible once the rig is in a case, but I'm trying to collect more data.

Great job with the shift-x, BTW. Stellar work. Also heartening to know that the monoblock fits on both. Truly a new architecture XD

I haven't heard/noticed and sort of whine on my setup.

@Nwkrep82 Another thing.

Can you go over how you hooked up your commander pro? Do you have a usb2 adapter on the usb3 mobo header? And how did you do the LED setup?

Sure. First, I'm using all Corsair fans (HD120 and HD140), and their Lighting Node Pro led strips. All the fans are powered by the Commander Pro. If you look at the pic I have posted, you can see all six fan inputs filled up.

To control the RGB LED portion of the fans, you must use the hub that comes with the fans (when you buy the kit). All the RGB LED fan cables plug into that hub. You can see that smaller hub in that same pic. Then a cable (included with the Commander Pro) goes from that hub to one of the LED ports on the Commander Pro.

The RGB strip is plugged into the second LED port on the Commander Pro with the others daisy chained to the first (I using three RGB LED strips).

As for USB connectivity, I'm using an adapter cable, USB 2.0, IDC 5 Male (single row) to USB A Male. That cable is plugged directly to the motherboard rear panel I/O. That was due to the lack of an USB 2.0 header on the Asus Strix Z70i. I just kept the same connection with the Z370i.

Last edited:

Nyxis

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2017
As for USB connectivity, I'm using an adapter cable, USB 2.0, IDC 5 Male (single row) to USB A Male. That cable is plugged directly to the motherboard rear panel I/O. That was due to the lack of an USB 2.0 header on the Asus Strix Z70i. I just kept the same connection with the Z370i.

SWEET that you can confirm this working! I was sick and tired of having to use an internal (non existing on that mobo) header.

The fans where a no brainer with them being corsair with the commander and all. Im aiming for noctua chromax myself. Maybe Phanteks Halos in the future. So no lights on those yet.
As for the EK Monoblock, im still a little confused. Did you plug it straight into the rgb header on the mobo?

Saw a guy named Kurt Kursons build. I think its gonna end up like a mix between yours and his. :)
Thanks for getting back so fast. :D

Nwkrep82

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 15, 2017
SWEET that you can confirm this working! I was sick and tired of having to use an internal (non existing on that mobo) header.

The fans where a no brainer with them being corsair with the commander and all. Im aiming for noctua chromax myself. Maybe Phanteks Halos in the future. So no lights on those yet.
As for the EK Monoblock, im still a little confused. Did you plug it straight into the rgb header on the mobo?

Saw a guy named Kurt Kursons build. I think its gonna end up like a mix between yours and his. :)
Thanks for getting back so fast. :D

The EK monoblock will plug directly into the 4-pin RGB header on the ASUS Strix Z270i motherboard.

It will NOT work with the ASUS Strix Z370i. The Z370i has an ADDRESSABLE 3-pin RGB header. However, the RGB strip in the monoblock is removable. I replaced it with a compatible addressable RGB LED strip (strip must use a WS2812B chip). I cut the strip to the proper length and sleeved the cabling.

Nyxis

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2017
The EK monoblock will plug directly into the 4-pin RGB header on the ASUS Strix Z270i motherboard.

It will NOT work with the ASUS Strix Z370i. The Z370i has an ADDRESSABLE 3-pin RGB header. However, the RGB strip in the monoblock is removable. I replaced it with a compatible addressable RGB LED strip (strip must use a WS2812B chip). I cut the strip to the proper length and sleeved the cabling.

Everything is now clear. I see the light of the rainbow. Cant wait to build this thing!

Lastly you mention running your led strips to the second port on the commander pro. I have 2 Phanteks 4 pin led strips, and as far as i know, the port on the commander pro is 3 pin? Or am i wrong?