My First SFF Build: Dan A4-SFX V4

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
Here's my 1st crack at a SFF build. I haven't built a PC since 2003, so this is was a fun project. But I did spend a lot of time creating 3 custom cable harnesses.

Build list:

Dan A4-SFX V4 case
i7 9700K
Noctua NH-L9i w/modified fan duct based of Dan's original duct
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-itx/ac
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB DDR4-3200
Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
EVGA GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
Corsair SF600 Gold
Noctua NF-A9x14 case fan (plan to add one more)
Addressable RGB LED strips
Custom white cabling

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Nice!
May I ask:-
1. ambient temp
2. CPU idle temp + load temp (gaming or synthetic benchmark)
3. SSD temp

And, what have you been using since your build in 2003? Pre-built system like Dell?

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
Really nice! What kind of RGB strips did you use, and do you control them from the motherboard? Did you use a splitter as well, as it seems to be two led stripes?

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
Nice!
May I ask:-
1. ambient temp
2. CPU idle temp + load temp (gaming or synthetic benchmark)
3. SSD temp

And, what have you been using since your build in 2003? Pre-built system like Dell?

Ambient temp is around 24C
CPU idle temp is around 45C
Load temp ~72C during Fortnite on Epic. CPU load is around 50% usage
SSD temp on frontside is 72C when GPU is hitting 82C
SSD temp on backside is always 54C... not sure why that is.

As for computers, I had laptops provided by my work. For the older models with removable HDD's, I'd run Ubuntu on another HDD and swap to use it as my personal computer. Then I started buying Macbooks in 2006-2007 and have been using them til now. Up til last year, I was using Bootcamp, but I decided why not make a dedicated Windows machine.

Really nice! What kind of RGB strips did you use, and do you control them from the motherboard? Did you use a splitter as well, as it seems to be two led stripes?

I bought some off of Amazon (the links are below), and they are controllable from the mobo using ASRock's RGB software. I didn't use any splitters, so they are in series. I was able to cram 3 strips inside as there is not much space for the 4th strip. I also added some NZXT RGB cable combs which also connected to the end of the last LED strip.

http://amzn.com/B07PDMY6F2

http://amzn.com/B07G5FH59R

Last edited:

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
Final RGB setup (I feel like I killed too much time on cabling and RGB)!!!!

Update 12/3/2019:
Upgraded the L9i to an Asetek 645LT and low profile Ballistix ram. Had to go back to the stock PSU harnesses for the time being, but I ordered up some wiring from moddiy.com on Black Friday, so I'll probably be crimping some new harnesses in January!

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Here's my 1st crack at a SFF build. I haven't built a PC since 2003, so this is was a fun project. But I did spend a lot of time creating 3 custom cable harnesses.

Build list:

Dan A4-SFX V4 case
i7 9700K
Noctua NH-L9i w/modified fan duct based of Dan's original duct
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-itx/ac
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB DDR4-3200
Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
EVGA GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
Corsair SF600 Gold
Noctua NF-A9x14 case fan (plan to add one more)
Addressable RGB LED strips
Custom white cabling

This looks great! What are settings for your 9700K to keep it so cool?

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
@Nanook I’ve hit max temps and throttled when I was running Fortnite with the FPS uncapped on all Epic settings. Now that I have a 144Hz monitor, I set the FPS limit to 160 FPS. That will leave my gpu ~95% usage on Epic settings, but the CPU stays at 50%. With that kind of usage, the heat mostly stays in the GPU half of the case, and I have to believe the blower design helps this.

Aside from that, no settings have been changed on the 9700K. It is running completely stock!

Reactions: Nanook

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I do not think the 9700K is cool, especially it idles at 45C. This is 21 degrees C above ambient!
Typo?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
@Nanook I’ve hit max temps and throttled when I was running Fortnite with the FPS uncapped on all Epic settings. Now that I have a 144Hz monitor, I set the FPS limit to 160 FPS. That will leave my gpu ~95% usage on Epic settings, but the CPU stays at 50%. With that kind of usage, the heat mostly stays in the GPU half of the case, and I have to believe the blower design helps this.

Aside from that, no settings have been changed on the 9700K. It is running completely stock!
Thanks! I wasn’t sure if you’re running stock or OC’ed. Your 9700K temps/settings actually sound similar to my A4-v4, Black Ridge + 9900K. Intel 95w stock settings with -4 AVX, 40s idle, 70s gaming, 90s Prime95 small FFT, and 100+ in Keyshot cpu rendering - I quit the program before hitting TJ max.

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
So I ran the Forza Horizon 4 Benchmark and it's very clear how much the 1070 Ti is the bottleneck... I may be able to reduce CPU temps even further to match the GPU performance. Thoughts?

Last edited:

PalaSicka

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2019
This is amazing. I really like the temp numbers. I see you have the bottom fans in pull configuration, have you tested pushing the air out of the box - especially asking about the one under the motherboard.