My First ITX Build - Kolink Rocket / Ryzen 2700x / RTX 2070

SNeilson81

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I've always wanted to build a good gaming PC in a small box and brought the following for my first ITX build:
  • CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card
  • Case: KOLINK - ROCKET Mini ITX Desktop Case
  • Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Since this photo I've turned the PSU around so the fan now faces this way and tidied the cables up with zip ties.

I've not oveclocked anything and all settings are set to default. At idle the temp for both the CPU and GPU are between 65° and 70° but within about 5 mins of gaming they both quickly exceed 82° and the PC will eventually reboot.

Is there anything anyone can suggest to help with this apart from using a new case which allows the use of watercooling and case fans? Can the Kolink case take this type of hardware?

Thanks

Stuart

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Idling temp for CPU and GPU at 65-70C is really really bad. Something is seriously wrong.
For the CPU, it could be the NH-L9a is not mounted properly.
For the GPU, check to see if anything is blocking airflow through the case top exhaust fan. As it is the only case fan (for exhaust), if it is not working properly, hot air will be trapped inside quickly.

Another check:- remove both side panels and see if the idle temp of both CPU and GPU drop significantly. If yes, then it is ventilation problem.

Last edited:

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
Are these temps with the case panel on?

Looking at the GPU alone, a 2070 shouldn't be reaching that high on idle. If it is used, I'd recommend checking the thermal paste and maybe VRM thermal pads. Also check the fans are spinning, and definitely try a custom fan curve with something like MSI afterburner. I have a Gigabyte 2080 turbo, and it idles at 43C, so your gigabyte 2070 with 3x fans shouldn't be idling at 65C unless the fans aren't running at all.

For the CPU, the NH-L9a-AM4 is rather weak for the 2700X. Without OC or PBO, it may cope but I'd also check the fan profile in the motherboard BIOS and tweak to at least have 100% at 70C or so. Also check how well the thermal paste was applied between the CPU and the cooler.

artemis

Chassis Packer
Jun 7, 2016
This case is the apex of horrible cooling
Might as well keep the panels off if you don't want to fry your components