News MSI Launches Trident – Console-Sized Gaming PC

http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/g...msi-launches-trident-console-sized-gaming-pc/

MSI’s small form factor Trident has been shrunk in all dimensions. Its tiny volume of 4.7 litres, 3.17kg weight, and designed dimensions make the comparisons to a games console reasonable.

EDIT: Additional link to TPU

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This is a very interesting product because of the replaceable (and interesting) GPU, along with the inclusion of a decent looking 230W power adapter (4-pin barrel connector) and the focus on truely SFF. Although it's weird, angular shapes will have a polarizing effect on taste to a lesser extent as the Corsair Bulldog. That CPU cooler though, it doesn't bode well.

This looks like a "PIO" board with a sideways PCIe connector. Nice ! I'm a fan.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
It's stated dimensions don't add up to 4.7 litres!

But even so it's still very small, I like it allot! It looks like a custom PIO motherboard with the a right angle PCIE connector on the opposite side of the board.

If only motherboard manufacturers would release these boards to the mainstream!

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Ya, it appears that the stated dimensions are including the plastic housing that has some angled lines that jut out from the metal frame in all directions.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I wonder what's under the motherboard, as there's a lot of room there. Would they use it all for an internal DC-DC converter?

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
I like the right angle PCIe and mini-ITX GPU, but honestly as far as tiny boxen goes, the Zotac Magnus ERX480, EN1060, and EN1070s look way more compelling - these are <2.7L, and while the CPU is a bit weaker (only available as a quad-core i5-6400T) the GPU options are better (should anyone be considering a 3GB card in late 2016?)

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
They said Trident VR is the smallest VR machine. But I can stuff a 1070 into the s4 mini and still be smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's a manufacturer's claim, they don't always hold true. But I see why they'd claim this. They look at what's available on the market and in stores, the S4 Mini, how awesome it may be, is not available in retail or at large quantities. They are also considering the entire computer, with support, warranty, retail, the works, not just a collection of products. What they call the smallest VR machine is vague anyway, since the hardware and software still is making a lot of progress regularly.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I like the right angle PCIe and mini-ITX GPU, but honestly as far as tiny boxen goes, the Zotac Magnus ERX480, EN1060, and EN1070s look way more compelling - these are <2.7L, and while the CPU is a bit weaker (only available as a quad-core i5-6400T) the GPU options are better (should anyone be considering a 3GB card in late 2016?)

Thought the Zotacs all had heat throttling issues?

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
Thought the Zotacs all had heat throttling issues?

Ars Technica reviewed the 1060 version and it seems to not done too badly. Ah, here's a video that puts the 1070 version through some paces. It looks like under gaming loads the GPU throttles at around 70C a bit - I think if you willing to mod the case (say replacing the top and bottom w/ better airflow panels) you could probably improve the performance a fair bit, but if size is a big deal (and come on, we're on SFFN :) then this is still the smallest 1070 system you can get right now (well, you could de-shell an Aorus X5v6 for twice the price, but that seems like a bit of a waste).

Reactions: Ceros_X