GPU MSI announce 3060 AERO ITX

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I think in some very specific cases, this might be true. The 3060 has a smaller bus with GDDR6 at the same (presumed) speeds. It has more memory, sure.... but will that narrow bus bottleneck the core? Only benchmarks will tell.

I have a 2070 ITX right now; I would have to mod my case with a Flex PSU for anything larger. At present, I don't feel that anything is worth the hassle. If the 3070 had more RAM, or maybe faster RAM, then that would be a different story..... I just feel that the 3070 will age too quickly.
What is more....by the time anyone is able to up and buy Ampere normally, we'll be halfway to the next architecture unveil.

I, for giggles, signed up on the waitlist queue on EVGA back 2 months ago. Still haven't heard anything. Doubt I will until Fall 2021. AKA 1 year anniversary of the farcical 'release'.

Battousai1

Cable Smoosher
Jan 13, 2021
What is the case? Kind of an important factor here. Cases less than 4 litres that support descrete GPUs are thin on the ground already without trying to cram a higher TDP card in there. If you're not technically skilled and unable to fabricate your own then you're likely out of luck. 'off the shelf' third party GPU coolers are super niche products these days. You could try trauling the likes of aliexpress and tabao for heatsinks of the right dimensions but you'd need to make sure any solution provides enough heat capacity/radiation for the ICs and VRMS too.
If you use an external power brick then you would be able to fit some sort of water cooling solution in there but it's going to struggle to cool a card of that power. Again, case choice is going to be a determining factor here.

The case is K39, similar in size to a Velka 3 but slightly bigger. It can fit a GPU that has a maximum 180mm in length and 43mm in thickness.

My other option is modifying the case which is actually, I think should be the first choice. My goal is to build the smallest and most powerful ITX rig using off-the-shelf parts and having a 3060 Ti should do it.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I think in some very specific cases, this might be true. The 3060 has a smaller bus with GDDR6 at the same (presumed) speeds. It has more memory, sure.... but will that narrow bus bottleneck the core? Only benchmarks will tell.

I have a 2070 ITX right now; I would have to mod my case with a Flex PSU for anything larger. At present, I don't feel that anything is worth the hassle. If the 3070 had more RAM, or maybe faster RAM, then that would be a different story..... I just feel that the 3070 will age too quickly.

So a while back I accidentally got the 3070 instead of the 3080 while doing the rapid split second combo buying. I decided to roll with it anyway. I'm running an Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor, and a 4K TV OLED TV off the card. It's not a bad experience, but you are right. It will age quickly. Right now, I plan to trade up to a 3080ti whenever it actually launches. I'll also be posting some Ultrawide benchmarks soon on it.

Slight tangent... For the new people here, let me show you the SFF rabbit hole that you can get yourself into....

In the meantime, I just picked up a Ghost S1 due to the lack of 70 and 80 class ITX parts. Ampere GPUs are just...big. I'll repurpose my MI-6 as it's still my favorite case of all time. 3060 12GB will probably make a pretty good video editing card, which is actually what I originally built the system to do.

Ampere has been a bit of a pain to me. I had gone from a 980ti blower to a 2080 FE. I hadn't planned on 300mm lengths becoming the norm. The 2080FE cooked my 8086K in the NCASE M1...so I got a Cerberus ATX. That did ok until the PSU burned out from heat soak. I upgraded to a 9900K and full ATX board, and moved the 8086K back to the NCASE but now with no overclock and with a blower 5700XT. Then I realized that the Cerberus basically limited me to the 3080 FE..which is impossible to buy. So I went to a full ATX case...albeit a small one by modern standards. It's the Silverstone Seta. It's a nice case, albeit quiet large. However, even with this case I'm limited to 295mm cards if I use a front mount 280mm AIO.

I was going to put the 3070 in my wifes machine until I realized the 2080 FE barely fit in the her NZXT H210 with front mount AIO. So I figured I would use it for my HTPC....which is currently in the MI-6....which was supposed to get a 3060ti or better this gen! Full circle....

Last edited:

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
The case is K39, similar in size to a Velka 3 but slightly bigger. It can fit a GPU that has a maximum 180mm in length and 43mm in thickness.

My other option is modifying the case which is actually, I think should be the first choice. My goal is to build the smallest and most powerful ITX rig using off-the-shelf parts and having a 3060 Ti should do it.
Yup, thought it might be. I own the K39 V2 also and the 180mm GPU limit is very limiting. If you want more power than a 3060, you should really consider changing case. The S4 mini would allow you to fit the Asus 3060 ti dual mini and stay brick less (I think?).
K39 is not sub 4 litres by the by.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Now that is a worthy upgrade path for 2070 ITX users.

Still, I'm going to hold onto my card and wait. I'm not in any dire need for an upgrade right now, but it's always comforting to see that this form factor hasn't been abandoned with higher TDP cards.

At probably $600USD, it is a very tough sell. All the MSRPs on Ampere were bumped, sorry 'adjusted', this last week. the low end by 25%.

Which, it isn't like there's any stock to buy until summer anyway