GPU MSI announce 3060 AERO ITX

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 19, 2020

Courtesy of guru3d.com:

MSI is proud to announce a new graphics card line-up based on the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU, uniting the latest in graphics technology, high-performance circuit board design, and advanced cooling.

With its efficient, high-performance architecture and the second generation of NVIDIA RTX, the GeForce RTX 3060 brings amazing hardware ray-tracing capabilities and support for NVIDIA DLSS and other technologies, and is priced starting at $329. Like all RTX 30 Series GPUs, the RTX 3060 supports the trifecta of GeForce gaming innovations: NVIDIA DLSS, NVIDIA Reflex and NVIDIA Broadcast, which accelerate performance and enhance image quality. Together with real-time raytracing, these technologies are the foundation of the GeForce gaming platform, which brings unparalleled performance and features to games and gamers everywhere.

AERO ITX Series
The power of a full-size graphics card in an incredibly small package. MSI AERO ITX series with GeForce RTX 3060, utilizes a single high-performance fan on a compact heatsink with efficient heatpipes for optimized thermal dissipation. AERO ITX graphics cards are excellent for small form factor systems, fitting into virtually any system while guaranteeing immersive gaming experiences.

This is likely the GPU my K39 has been waiting for unless that ITX model AMD just teased us with turns out to be competitive. Thoughts?

Battousai1

Cable Smoosher
Jan 13, 2021
For sure. I've been considering various custom cooler options for a DIY project to make my own ITX 3060 Ti but the cost would quickly add up.
I am also planning on building a sub-4L ITX rig with an RTX 3060 Ti, currently, the only available option would be the PNY 3060 Ti but the stock cooler is longer than the case permits so deshrouding it would be the only option. Has anyone here know of a compact aftermarket cooler?

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
I am also planning on building a sub-4L ITX rig with an RTX 3060 Ti, currently, the only available option would be the PNY 3060 Ti but the stock cooler is longer than the case permits so deshrouding it would be the only option. Has anyone here know of a compact aftermarket cooler?
Scythe used to make a couple, namely the Setsugen and Setsugen 2 at 33.5 mm depth but i doubt you'll find one. Then there's the Accelero Mono Plus which is fatter at 51 mm. You'd need to apply individual heat sinks to the RAM chips and VRMS also. Another option is to buy/make to order the finstacks and heatpipes at the desired dimensions.
A further option would be to use a low profile CPU cooler and again, make use of individual heatsinks for ICs/VRMs.

Battousai1

Cable Smoosher
Jan 13, 2021
Scythe used to make a couple, namely the Setsugen and Setsugen 2 at 33.5 mm depth but i doubt you'll find one. Then there's the Accelero Mono Plus which is fatter at 51 mm. You'd need to apply individual heat sinks to the RAM chips and VRMS also. Another option is to buy/make to order the finstacks and heatpipes at the desired dimensions.
A further option would be to use a low profile CPU cooler and again, make use of individual heatsinks for ICs/VRMs.
Ok, this seems to be a longshot. How about an aftermarket liquid cooler? Is there such as liquid cooler that is so compact it can fit into a 43mm thickness clearance permitted by the case?

I dont know if I can moveor bend the heat pipes myself, as reorienting the other half of the heatsink vertically might do the trick. I will post pictures here of how it looks.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Palit and Gainward have similar cards announced.

From what I've seen of past ITX sized cards, these cards are produced for a limited time and in limited numbers. Even if you're holding out for a 3060ti version, you should probably pickup the 3060 as soon as you can. Worst case scenario, you sell it on eBay....probably for more than you paid.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I'd like to add as soon as the 3060 was announced we see 3 itx versions already, the 3060 Ti has been out for a bit and with a 200w tdp I don't expect an itx version.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I'd like to add as soon as the 3060 was announced we see 3 itx versions already, the 3060 Ti has been out for a bit and with a 200w tdp I don't expect an itx version.

And, perhaps by August or September someone other than Funny Money mining bots will be able to buy them 🤣

Reactions: rfarmer

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
If this does turn out to be 2070 performance then it'll be probably one of the biggest disappointments in graphics card history, and I was a launch day owner of an ATI 2900XT.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
If this does turn out to be 2070 performance then it'll be probably one of the biggest disappointments in graphics card history, and I was a launch day owner of an ATI 2900XT.

Probably 2070 Super-ish performance... But yeah.... not much for people who already own a 2070 ITX version.

Battousai1

Cable Smoosher
Jan 13, 2021
Ok, this seems to be a longshot. How about an aftermarket liquid cooler? Is there such as liquid cooler that is so compact it can fit into a 43mm thickness clearance permitted by the case?

I dont know if I can moveor bend the heat pipes myself, as reorienting the other half of the heatsink vertically might do the trick. I will post pictures here of how it looks.

Hi guys, so this is what I have at the moment. My ITX case can only fit >180mm length cards and my 3060 Ti is around 246mm.

However, as you can see, the board of the GPU is surprisingly small and can definitely fit my ITX case that requires >180mm length cards but then the stock heatsink needs some modification.

I am not sure if I can modify the heatsink or replace this with a more compact cooler.

Let me know what yoy guys think.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
Hi guys, so this is what I have at the moment. My ITX case can only fit >180mm length cards and my 3060 Ti is around 246mm.

However, as you can see, the board of the GPU is surprisingly small and can definitely fit my ITX case that requires >180mm length cards but then the stock heatsink needs some modification.

I am not sure if I can modify the heatsink or replace this with a more compact cooler.

> means more than, < means less than, so you know. What case are you building in? You could potentially bend those pipes back on themselves with the help of some heat, maybe, but I have no experience of this. You'd have to lose a lot of fins to make enough 'slack'. Then you'd still need to add fans. It'd be one chunky boy.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020

There's a reason the 3060Ti cooler is so big. The card puts out 20% more power than a 2070. Modifying a heatsink is a no go. Finding an aftermarket capable of cooling a 3060Ti that is smaller than stock....good luck.

Battousai1

Cable Smoosher
Jan 13, 2021
There's a reason the 3060Ti cooler is so big. The card puts out 20% more power than a 2070. Modifying a heatsink is a no go. Finding an aftermarket capable of cooling a 3060Ti that is smaller than stock....good luck.
> means more than, < means less than, so you know. What case are you building in? You could potentially bend those pipes back on themselves with the help of some heat, maybe, but I have no experience of this. You'd have to lose a lot of fins to make enough 'slack'. Then you'd still need to add fans. It'd be one chunky boy.

Thanks guys for the reply, so does that mean fitting a 3060 Ti into a sub-4L case is a futile endeavor or still a possibility? My first choice would be to look for an aftermarket cooler that is smaller than stock, be it a liquid one or a standard HSF. Modifying the stock cooler would probably not an option as I might damage it since I do not even have the tools and precision equipment to do it.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
Thanks guys for the reply, so does that mean fitting a 3060 Ti into a sub-4L case is a futile endeavor or still a possibility? My first choice would be to look for an aftermarket cooler that is smaller than stock, be it a liquid one or a standard HSF. Modifying the stock cooler would probably not an option as I might damage it since I do not even have the tools and precision equipment to do it.
What is the case? Kind of an important factor here. Cases less than 4 litres that support descrete GPUs are thin on the ground already without trying to cram a higher TDP card in there. If you're not technically skilled and unable to fabricate your own then you're likely out of luck. 'off the shelf' third party GPU coolers are super niche products these days. You could try trauling the likes of aliexpress and tabao for heatsinks of the right dimensions but you'd need to make sure any solution provides enough heat capacity/radiation for the ICs and VRMS too.
If you use an external power brick then you would be able to fit some sort of water cooling solution in there but it's going to struggle to cool a card of that power. Again, case choice is going to be a determining factor here.

Last edited:

AndyWags

Chassis Packer
Dec 2, 2019
Unfortunately, there are a lot of rumours going around saying that it looks likely that it might not even match the 2070 in performance.

"According to CNET, even in laptop form, the RTX 3060 stands to be about 30 percent more powerful than Sony's PlayStation 5. This number could go up a bit when compared to the desktop cards.
Forbes expects the RTX 3060 to be in between the RTX 2060 and 2070 in terms of raw performance, but with markedly improved ray tracing.
The card is about 20 percent less powerful than the $399 RTX 3060 Ti, has 10 times the performance of the GTX 1060 and twice the performance of the RTX 2060. This makes the 3060 approximately 35 percent less powerful than the $499 RTX 3070."

But again these numbers don't add up. A quick search on the internet would suggest about a 68% difference between the 2070 and 1060 and 94% between the 3060ti and 1060. Which would suggest the 3060 is 74% faster and not 10 times faster. I give up 😂.

Reactions: rfarmer

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
Probably 2070 Super-ish performance... But yeah.... not much for people who already own a 2070 ITX version.
It's more the fact that in moving from TSMC14 to Samsung8, nVidia have managed to shrink 2070 performance from a 175W TDP to a... 170W TDP?

So we've improved PPW by pretty much nothing at all this generation? Plus when you look at the performance of cards like the 3080 and 3090, most of it seems to come from the fact that they're running a 100W higher TDP than the previous top-end cards?

Note: If the 3060 turns out to be faster then disregard what i've said above.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
It's more the fact that in moving from TSMC14 to Samsung8, nVidia have managed to shrink 2070 performance from a 175W TDP to a... 170W TDP?

So we've improved PPW by pretty much nothing at all this generation? Plus when you look at the performance of cards like the 3080 and 3090, most of it seems to come from the fact that they're running a 100W higher TDP than the previous top-end cards?

Note: If the 3060 turns out to be faster then disregard what i've said above.

2070 was already a 175 watt card. Ampere is very power hungry.

It's more like we get 2070 performance for 2060 price. If you can find one.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Unfortunately, there are a lot of rumours going around saying that it looks likely that it might not even match the 2070 in performance.

I think in some very specific cases, this might be true. The 3060 has a smaller bus with GDDR6 at the same (presumed) speeds. It has more memory, sure.... but will that narrow bus bottleneck the core? Only benchmarks will tell.

I have a 2070 ITX right now; I would have to mod my case with a Flex PSU for anything larger. At present, I don't feel that anything is worth the hassle. If the 3070 had more RAM, or maybe faster RAM, then that would be a different story..... I just feel that the 3070 will age too quickly.