Moving into a smaller volume

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 27, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm new here, but I have been lurking for much longer.

I am planning on moving my PC into a smaller enclosure as right now it takes a lot of space. I am willing to change some components like the PSU and cooler, but I'm not interested in changing major components such as the graphics card or processor if I can help it.

CPU - i7-4790k
GPU - MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G
Motherboard - MSI Z97i Gaming ACK
RAM - 2 X 8GB Kingston Hyper X Savage Red
PSU - Super Flower Golden Green HX 750 semi-modular power supply
Storage - Samsung 850 Evo 120GB
MX300 750GB
WD Black 2TB
CPU Cooler - Nepton 240M
Case - 380t

I'd like to get as much of this into a smaller as possible, but I'm really not sure what to look at. Do I get a smaller AIO? Do I go air? What can I keep and what do I lose?

And most importantly of all, case recommendations, any advice?

I hugely appreciate any help you could give me.

NST

PS - I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section :/

Reactions: Soul_Est

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
With a nice SFX PSU and a new cooler (like the NHl9i) I think you could comfortably move into the Node 202. There is the question of your WDBLACK drive, which I am assuming is a 3.5"r. Might be time to go with a network enclosure which is really nice these days, or just upgrade your storage to SSD form. Sandisk has very affordable large capacity drives.

Reactions: Soul_Est

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I am currently running an i7-4790K in a mini-box M350. In there, I had to lower the voltage and clock speed a bit in order to keep things running at temperatures I was comfortable with--that's below 80C--even when using the iGPU to play games. I actually ended up having enough temperature headroom with the undervolting and underclocking to OVERCLOCK the iGPU, which is kind of hilarious and really does make a difference. The NH-L9i fits in the M350 no problem, but I don't think you could put the hard drive bracket/fan bracket over the CPU, it fits fine off to the side near the PCI-e slot though there's a lot of cable clutter.

I'm going to be moving to another case soon, currently the Logic Supply MC600, then probably the S4 Mini when my unit finally comes in. The MC600 is going to undergo a lot of modding, but I'll try to get a rough measurement of thermals before I get started to see how much I can improve things. I believe the NH-L9i fits in the MC600 (I've seen people use it in there), and I know it fits in the S4 Mini.

My message is beating around the bush a little: The i7-4790K should be able to go into even a pretty cramped mini-ITX case as long as you're willing to undervolt. I don't really think you would need to undervolt to fit it into a marginally roomier case, but you might still want to. Of course, as you add more vertical clearance above the CPU, you open up the opportunity for either more airflow from case fans or a larger/better CPU cooler--or both.

I haven't experimented with any of the other recommended/newly discovered SFF coolers, but I recently ordered a mini-ITX test bench and am hoping to introduce some new data. At least on the bench, but hopefully I'll have the patience to do some testing inside of cases, too.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I have been on the same quest if PC shrinking as many have/are around here so Welcome!

I second the M1 for the simple fact that all you need to purchase is the case and move most everything you have and it is smaller by an appreciable amount. However, you would need an sfx psu or maybe sfxLto get the 277mm 970 you have in there.

per NCASE:
ATX PSU support is possible using the included bracket with the following limitations:
  • Cannot be used with GPUs over 195mm long.
Its probably the smallest you can go and just transplant most of your rig. You would need a smaller PSU which you mentioned being OK with and it carries a cost but it is a premium product and really easy on the eyes to boot.

Less pricey options are there but they all are larger such as the Fractal Nano S and the Riotoro CR280. The Riotoro CR280 is what I have. I'm not shilling it by any means! But it is inexpensive, a tad smaller than the Nano S and has support for one 3.5 in drive behind the mobo tray. Both of are also larger than the M1 and may not get you as small as you want to go.

Good luck and good hunting for a new chassis. This is definitely the place to be for this.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Aside from the PSU limitation in the M1, I should also point out that there really isn't a good place for a 3.5" HDD if you're using a 240mm rad. Yes, technically you could mount it on the case floor, but that's a bad idea with an air-cooled GPU since it will block much of the GPU's intake. You'd have to switch out the rad for a single 120 or an air cooler (either of which will allow you to mount the HDD cage on the side bracket, which holds two 3.5" HDDs), or look at replacing the drive with a 2.5" model instead.

Reactions: 3lfk1ng and TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Aside from the PSU limitation in the M1, I should also point out that there really isn't a good place for a 3.5" HDD if you're using a 240mm rad. Yes, technically you could mount it on the case floor, but that's a bad idea with an air-cooled GPU since it will block much of the GPU's intake. You'd have to switch out the rad for a single 120 or an air cooler (either of which will allow you to mount the HDD cage on the side bracket, which holds two 3.5" HDDs), or look at replacing the drive with a 2.5" model instead.

Can't beat the advice straight from the source! Not to go too far off topic but this is a terrific example of how awesome this place is.

Reactions: cmyk78

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 27, 2017
Sorry for the slow replies guys. I've been away.

I am tempted by the NCASE, but have been put off by the high price tag and the limitations in terms of storage. Large scale SSDs are still pretty pricey here in the UK. At least for someone like me, and I can't just discard a 3.5 inch 2TB drive in addition to shelling out another £200 for a case.

I'm thinking it might be worth buying an SF450 in preparation to moving into a smaller case. Then at least I can stop worrying about the scale of my PSU.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I am tempted by the NCASE, but have been put off by the high price tag and the limitations in terms of storage. Large scale SSDs are still pretty pricey here in the UK. At least for someone like me, and I can't just discard a 3.5 inch 2TB drive in addition to shelling out another £200 for a case.
I should mention, when I suggested replacing the 3.5" with a 2.5", that isn't just limited to SSDs; there are mechanical 2.5" drives available in capacities up to 5TB now. They aren't typically as fast as 3.5" drives, but for a pure storage drive (with an SSD system/programs drive) they're fine. Compared to 3.5" HDDs, they tend to be quieter, run cooler, and free up a ton of space.

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 27, 2017
I should mention, when I suggested replacing the 3.5" with a 2.5", that isn't just limited to SSDs; there are mechanical 2.5" drives available in capacities up to 5TB now. They aren't typically as fast as 3.5" drives, but for a pure storage drive (with an SSD system/programs drive) they're fine. Compared to 3.5" HDDs, they tend to be quieter, run cooler, and free up a ton of space.

Ah no, you're pushing me close to wanting an NCASE now. The thing is absolutely beautiful.

I may hold off on moving my rig until I have a little more in the bank for it. There aren't many cases that look as good, as sleek, and still hold a 240mm rad as the M1.

Are there any 2.5" HDDs that you could recommend?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Ah no, you're pushing me close to wanting an NCASE now. The thing is absolutely beautiful.

I may hold off on moving my rig until I have a little more in the bank for it. There aren't many cases that look as good, as sleek, and still hold a 240mm rad as the M1.
Well, I certainly wouldn't hold it against you for not going with the M1. The UK customs fee is around £37, if I recall correctly, which is on top of the price of the case and shipping. It's certainly not cheap to get overseas.

Are there any 2.5" HDDs that you could recommend?
There are a couple of 2TB WD drives, but for anything above that Seagate is pretty much the only option, I believe. Check PCPartPicker for what's available. Seagate hasn't exactly had the best reputation for reliability in recent years, but I couldn't say how much of that reputation is really warranted, or if it extends to 2.5" drives. I can tell you I've been using a 2.5" 2TB Seagate for a couple of years now without issue, for what it's worth.