Motherboard Motherboard questions

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

So I have a few questions for you all, since this is a bit out of my own knowledge, I am planning on getting an MSI MAG B550 MORTAR later down the line.

I'm currently using an keyboard and mouse, as well as extern lighting on my desk, so 3 USB connections on the back of my PC. With a wish for a 4th for USB sticks or other accessories.

So what I'm wondering here is what exactly is this red USB port in the back for? Is it for something in particular? And does the Flashback port function as a regular USB port as well or just strictly for BIOS Flashback?:

Another question I have is which would you personally get, the MSI MAG B550 MORTAR or the Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO, with the latter having an PCI layout that limits possible future upgrades in terms of potential capture/streaming cards for streaming purposes. Meanwhile the Mortar doesn't have this issue.

Although what bugs me with the Gigabyte board is that the CPU isn’t centered on the board, but slighly to the right. Which does mess with my OCD a bit:

Thanks,
Dawelio

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
So what I'm wondering here is what exactly is this red USB port in the back for? Is it for something in particular? And does the Flashback port function as a regular USB port as well or just strictly for BIOS Flashback?

USB has always used color-coding on the insert-tab to denote speed generation:

White: USB 1.0
Black: USB 2.0
Blue: USB 3.0....technically USB3.1 (gen 1). Long story. 5gb/sec
Red: USB3.1 Gen 2. 10 gb/sec. I believe the Red ports also have standby/off charging/power.

Which...technically I don't think USB formally endorses those colorizations, but everyone does it anyway.

Reactions: lozza_c and Dawelio