Most optimal CPU/MB combo in DAN A4 V4.1 w/ Asetek LT645 as of April 2022?

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
My portable gaming build (8700k + Asus Z390-i) died on me during a work trip (opened it up and saw the TIM having melted into the CPU sockets and capacitors).

I'm looking to replace the CPU/MB with a combo that's better suited given the TDP limits of the case and AIO. I'd love to hear what are some of the more optimal builds currently available for the DAN. If the case can't handle recent cpu's, I'd love to know as well as to avoid wasting time and effort into a lost cause. The machine is meant for gaming on the go with some light work, (domestic business trips, trips to visit family, etc).

TIA!

Shaytanya

Trash Compacter
May 5, 2020
I use a 10600k with a Asus Z490-i and it works like a charm - the only issue is that if you use the AIO and M.2 drives, there is no airflow going over the M.2, which resulted in temps that got too high - to fix this, I purchased one of Noctua 40mm 5000rpm fans and have mounted that over the M.2 drive which does the trick, although it cuts back on the overall looks - I would imagine this would be the case for any M.2 drive.
I have the Corasir 750 PSU and 3080 FE - temps are on the higher end, but nothing that is dangerous (with the Noctua fan trick). If you go AIO, I can't recommend custom cables enough - I doubt I could have fitted them all in (granted I do have an internal mointor added, which takes up some space, but there isnt much room as I am sure you are well aware).

sneedster

Trash Compacter
Apr 22, 2022
But on the other hand, since your current PC is fubar, you could go for a total platform upgrade to maximize longevity and wait for Zen 4 / AM5.

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
I’ve had zero problems with a 16 thread 3950x on b550 or x570 boards - the single thread clock / pic is a little lower than the 12 thread 3900x clocks so it’s got more grunt but at lower temps. The 5000x cpus had an upswing in ipc so will likely run hotter.