Stalled Mosaik - Klotz: 18.9L (prev. 18.6L) Case for Large Air and Liquid Coolers With Minimalistic Design

adesignaddict

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
www.mosaikcases.com
I think you need to investigate alternative materials. For example, HPL plastic or other laminates. HPL plastic perfectly imitates not only wood texture and color, but also other materials concrete, stone, metal, matte surfaces. In addition, it has excellent strength characteristics, moisture resistance and heat resistance.

Thank you for taking the time to write up those helpful suggestions.

Regarding the front panel: While HPL would indeed be a valid alternative for all those reasons, we would instead prefer an all-aluminum construction if the wood panel is no longer an option. Firstly because we would like to make the case as sustainable as we can, i.e. avoiding plastic wherever possible, but also because we prefer materials that are true.

Maybe you should consider the option of separate panels as exterior shell? I would not want you to abandon the project. I don't see obstacles that could not be overcome. Yes, structurally, the case can change as a result, but I think you can succeed in the aesthetic part without much loss.

We have looked into separate panels, but haven't found a solution that looks as refined and minimalistic as the original concept, especially regarding the fastening solutions we have access to.

This is not to say that it's impossible to solve, just that the options at our disposal have not yielded a result that we believe would capture the same excitement as the original concept, which would make the funding part considerably more likely to fail.

On top of that comes the financial aspect. This is, sadly, still a bit of a niche market and low volume production means that there's a pretty hefty manufacturing cost per case. Now, we were being realistic going into this project, knowing that this market, small batch production, and high cost to produce wouldn't make this an easy endeavor. But after getting some price quotes for our design, it currently does not look like it could sustain itself. Originally, we would have tried to make this work anyway as it was a passion project. However, the worldwide pandemic has put a huge financial strain on us that was completely unforeseen. Without going into too much detail, we are simply no longer in a position to take on an endeavor that's quite as risky as this. We don't know what the future holds, so we don't want to call this off with 100% certainty just yet. But we also don't want to mislead anyone into thinking this case is still on track.

We apologize for this bit of disappointing news, but we want to be upfront with everyone.

Nvmbra

Case Bender
New User
Jan 10, 2020
Regarding the front panel: While HPL would indeed be a valid alternative for all those reasons, we would instead prefer an all-aluminum construction if the wood panel is no longer an option. Firstly because we would like to make the case as sustainable as we can, i.e. avoiding plastic wherever possible, but also because we prefer materials that are true.

I like the current design but I an all-aluminum version sounds good too.

That said, I think you are making the right decision given the current circumstances.

For me this case would fill a place in the SFFPC market that still has not been properly addressed.
The specs are exactly what I would consider a SFFPC without any compromise and I'd like to see this design come to be in the future.
Perhaps next year with the next generation Noctua NH-D15 and 140mm fans I can see there being a bigger interest. Additionally the Mini-DTX format
might take off and other manufacturers besides Asus decide to add it to their motherboard lineup, which should increase the interest in this too.
You've already put so much work into this, it would be a shame if it ended like this and I'll continue to follow this thread until you decide to put a stop to this
or I have one of these cases on my desk.

I appreciate all the work that you have already put into it and I hope with more time and thought you will find a suitable solution.

oOflyeyesOo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 25, 2020
Anyway to create a custom distribution plate/resovour for the front panel? Maybe to hold pump, and a few nicely placed led holes.

Terixko

Cable Smoosher
Jul 11, 2020
you should really consider to try reselling your design or go the indigogo/kickstarter route, i'm sure you'll meet success there. It is just a matter of time case companies start to understand that beautiful simple and well execute design is what people want, and not those flashy rgb discusting gaming cases they still release.

saturncries

Case Bender
New User
Jul 29, 2020
Sad to hear about the issues you guys have run into. Your cases are some of the most exciting cases I've seen in a while.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
I hate to hear this has stalled. To be able to cool an ITX system with an NH-D15 would be perfect for me. I would definitely be interested in the all-aluminum version if it ever gets made.