Modified Nouvolo Steck Workstation with Dual loop

Burns

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
Howdy yal.

Been lurking here for awhile but first time posting. working on building myself a new workstation.
I bought a Nouvolo Steck and had plans of making new panels for it but i soon decided to just make the whole case myself. its basically the dimensins of a steck with a top hat but standing up.

heres some renders of the case and matching keyboard im working on aswell

Named it rocket launch as many people said it looked like a rocket waiting to launch. Not in a rush to finish this so gonna be a slow build but i did send out some panels to get laser cut already. Waiting for my 96% PCB and Kaihl boxed navy switches to come in aswell.

Burns

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
wow, a long time without any updates. My plans have changed quite a bit so maybe I should start a new thread but ill post in here for now. I put a pause on that build for some time. My workstation has been really dragging on me for the last 6 months. It's a 1600x on a b350 board. I had a vega 64 but sold it and am on 1060 right now. All the cad programs I use are CPU dependant and barely touch the GPU. they just like a decent amount of VRAM.

With the end of this year is jam packed with new hardware now is the time to finally get a new build going.
I decided to stick with my Nouvolo Steck for now. I'm still thinking about making a whole case myself but it would be very different than the one in this post.

So here she is

Nothing too wild but still a standing steck. Pretty happy with it. Will be making some changes most likely and making new ones at some point.

I also got a keyboard machined but it as well has changed in design.

I just got my mobo in for this build

here it is mocked up with a water block. its gonna be air-cooled for now but am working on how I'm going to do a custom dual loop down the road.

I'm waiting to see how ryzen zen 3 is. If its a good improvement ill pick up a 4700x or 4800x and if it's not worth it ill just grab a 3900x.

I ordered an sf600 gold plus PSU. Also planning on 64gb of ram. Not sure what one yet but my cad programs love ram and I don't want to worry about not having enough down the road. I'm unsure of GPU yet. Like I said I don't need anything crazy but I'm interested to see what AMD announced next month as well.

Reactions: Bubba

Burns

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
alright here it is next to my keyboard

I've been thinking about how I could do a custom loop with it. In the end, I'd like to make a deep end piece that will fit the whole radiator on the inside but I think for now I am going to do something like this. A little ghetto but it will work for the time being. I will also sell that EK block and do a pump and block combo. Most likely the Barrow one.

I was thinking about doing a blue to match other parts of my setup but I'm not really a fan of this. most likely stick with the black.

Burns

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
I also think ill be doing new side panels with no holes so that air can flow straight thru from front to back but I am undecided yet. If you have any ideas for that or suggestions let me know!

Burns

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
Was curious if I could get a couple of fans on the inside instead of on the outside with the radiator. I can fit a 25mm in the top but the bottom has less clearance. I think ill be able to squeeze a 15mm slim fan in there. I ordered one and should be here tomorrow, so we will find out soon.

As far as the borrow block pump combo goes it's going to be tight. From the socket itself, I have 75mm of headroom. According to Optimum Tech with low pro fittings its 72mm. I'm guessing with the CPU it's gonna be like another 5mm in height so my plan is to machine the mounting surface on the Barrow down that few mills. It looks like the threads are pretty deep so it should cause issues. The other option is I could make some super low pro fittings that are like 10mm tall if I wanted but that's a lot more work and I don't really wanna do it and then deal with leaks or something. Option 3 is making a custom side panel that has a little bulge there to give a few mill clearance and option 4 is machine some holes in the side panel and have tubing come out and try to make it look cool. For now I think option 1 is my favorite and easiest solution.

Burns

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
PSU came in.

This is what I want to do for Fans

A slim fan will fit in front of the motherboard and I am going to machine a new PSU bracket to drop it a little bit to fit another one in front of the PSU. Id like to try to fit one under the PSU as well as there is quite a bit of room. I might need to make something to help keep the cables out of it but custom cables to the right length should help.

Im contemplating trying to do a smaller fan or 2 on the other side of the motherboard as well. Idk if it would be worth it or not.

Well, I had the PSU in I figured out the length Ill need for cables and am most likely gonna order some from SOLO Sleeving. Playing around with there configurator.