• RGB Version (No controller) - 319 USD

Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

kuj0

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2023
I made a mistake, the PSU rails on the NANOQ S and R are different, the former has a mounting hole on top of the rail, while the latter has a mounting hole on the end of the rail (center point of the stainless steel bar). Meaning it’s not possible to add a simple extra rail. However; an L-bracket that gets connected to the PSU rails and has dedicated PSU screws holes should work. But the 3D printed version should be pretty thick, otherwise there’s a risk of it breaking under the weight of the PSU. As for a future addon, it would likely be 2 CNCd parts so it’s properly robust.

Also, the power connector sticks up roughly 17mm above the PSU, haven’t measured exactly how much it would invade the front fan space yet, but I’d think you loose the opportunity to use a 120x25 fan and instead need to go for 120x15.
Following up on this now that it's been a month or so. @AlexTzone please make this bracket available for the NanoQ S, even if it's an add-on part. The space savings are going to be crucial for SFX-L PSU users. I'm waiting to buy cables until I know for sure what the orientation of the PSU is going to be, and knowing that this is obviously the best way to go, I'm holding out hope.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Following up on this now that it's been a month or so. @AlexTzone please make this bracket available for the NanoQ S, even if it's an add-on part. The space savings are going to be crucial for SFX-L PSU users. I'm waiting to buy cables until I know for sure what the orientation of the PSU is going to be, and knowing that this is obviously the best way to go, I'm holding out hope.

Do you mean the 3D-printable bracket? If so, I can make it for you guys now, just need to know what thickness should be on a 3D printable part. Perhaps @turboleak has an idea?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Done, here are 2 versions, one that is shorter so you still can use a 15mm slim fan on the front (however, the PSU connectors are really close to the motherboard) and another that maximally offsets the PSU towards the front (you can't use a slim fan anymore but there will be more distance between the PSU connectors and the motherboard).

Short L Bracket

Long L Bracket

Here are a few pics:

NANOQ_S_R1_PSU_L_Bracket.51.jpg
NANOQ_S_R1_PSU_L_Bracket.52.jpg NANOQ_S_R1_PSU_L_Bracket.53.jpg

The purple color is just to help you distinguish the bracket from the rest of the case.

Last edited:

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
got the baka custom cables! now I need a case!
But I'm probably make my own. I already bought the cable making kit plus wires and connectors. I really want to put the cables towards the mb and the baka cables are too big for that.

• Love
Reactions: AlexTzone

kuj0

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2023
Done, here are 2 versions, one that is shorter so you still can use a 15mm slim fan on the front (however, the PSU connectors are really close to the motherboard) and another that maximally offsets the PSU towards the front (you can't use a slim fan anymore but there will be more distance between the PSU connectors and the motherboard).

Short L Bracket

Long L Bracket

Here are a few pics:

View attachment 3285
View attachment 3286 View attachment 3287

The purple color is just to help you distinguish the bracket from the rest of the case.
Thanks @AlexTzone! I don’t have a 3d printer, but I’m sure I can find a friend or service who does

kuj0

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2023
This braket is for an sfx psu? if not can you make one that maximizes space between front and psu?
After you reply I am going to print one to check if it's sturdy enough.
These brackets should fit SFX and SFX-L, but SFX-L will be really tight on the motherboard side with the short bracket (it looks like cables might cover the motherboard IO ports).

@AlexTzone do you have any mockups/renders with SFX-L on the short bracket?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
These brackets should fit SFX and SFX-L, but SFX-L will be really tight on the motherboard side with the short bracket (it looks like cables might cover the motherboard IO ports).

@AlexTzone do you have any mockups/renders with SFX-L on the short bracket?

Exactly right, technically the bracket can mount SFX-L without any problems; however, the SFX-L is too long even when using the maximally extended bracket (Long L Bracket), it's going to interfere with the motherboard. So it would be awesome if you could print one of these @turboleak and let me know if it's rigid enough or if I need to adjust it somehow :)

Reactions: kuj0 and Dawelio

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
Exactly right, technically the bracket can mount SFX-L without any problems; however, the SFX-L is too long even when using the maximally extended bracket (Long L Bracket), it's going to interfere with the motherboard. So it would be awesome if you could print one of these @turboleak and let me know if it's rigid enough or if I need to adjust it somehow :)
will do.

• Love
Reactions: kuj0 and AlexTzone

smallfx

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2020
Any options for those that missed pre-order window on the Nano, or just stuck waiting for next pre-order batch? Case looks great and need a bit more space for wc.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Any options for those that missed pre-order window on the Nano, or just stuck waiting for next pre-order batch? Case looks great and need a bit more space for wc.

Currently have a few NANOQ S in Carbon and Graphite, but no NANOQ R. However, if somebody cancels their case will become available. If you're after the R you can contact me in say 1 week :) If you want an S, then we can do it now.

A bit further forward, cancelled orders will automatically become available on the website.

Reactions: Dawelio

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
Please let us all know how it turns out! Really hoping to print my own to fit my Loki in the S
I have already printed it and it has some issues. I modded it and will print what I believe is an improved version. after that I will leave my conclusions here but what I noticed on the version that Alex posted is:
- Regarding the side part where the PSU is secured, the only part needed is the upper part with the two screws. everything else bellow can be removed as it provides no structural function.
- because the PSU is secured to the bracket from the side instead of from the top, it wants to roll to the right. This puts alot of stress on the bend ( the vertice of the L bracket ). More material is needed so that the weigh of the PSU trying to roll to the right does not overcome the plastic. On the original version what happens is that the PSU drops 1 or 2 degrees and it is kind of ugly.
- Alex made some very beautiful screw tapering holes, but for plastic, flat surfaces work much better.

Finally I have no idea how the bracket secures to the case. :)

Sorry for the delay, I was only able to work on this today.

Reactions: kuj0

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I have already printed it and it has some issues. I modded it and will print what I believe is an improved version. after that I will leave my conclusions here but what I noticed on the version that Alex posted is:
- Regarding the side part where the PSU is secured, the only part needed is the upper part with the two screws. everything else bellow can be removed as it provides no structural function.
- because the PSU is secured to the bracket from the side instead of from the top, it wants to roll to the right. This puts alot of stress on the bend ( the vertice of the L bracket ). More material is needed so that the weigh of the PSU trying to roll to the right does not overcome the plastic. On the original version what happens is that the PSU drops 1 or 2 degrees and it is kind of ugly.
- Alex made some very beautiful screw tapering holes, but for plastic, flat surfaces work much better.

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
this is the version that I will try:

It is the Alex version with most of the side bracket removed, as it serves no structural function, removal of the tapering from the holes and the really important part, a thicker side mount with the objective of making it able to hold the torsional force of the PSU without bending.

kuj0

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2023

Maybe I'm not understanding - if there are four mounting points where the PSU connects to the bracket (via the four screw holes in the back of the PSU), how do the two bottom holes not provide any structural function? Would they not reduce the weight and torsion applied to the two top screw holes by spreading out the surface area that's mounted across the four mounting points and better secure the unit?

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
Maybe I'm not understanding - if there are four mounting points where the PSU connects to the bracket (via the four screw holes in the back of the PSU), how do the two bottom holes not provide any structural function? Would they not reduce the weight and torsion applied to the two top screw holes by spreading out the surface area that's mounted across the four mounting points and better secure the unit?
they don't. if the vertice fails everything below it is meaningless.
Regarding the top screws, all the forces converge on that part of the plastic, either from the side or comming from the bottom screws, so the bellow them, that plastic plays no role.

Reactions: kuj0

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
I've printed and tested a version that has a thicker side bracket and where that side bracket is cut shot to remove the part bellow the first row of screws.
This version does not sag and works very well mechanically. Also the face of the screw holes is flat.
I am printing a new moded version whose top part ( the one with the two big holes ) is significantly shorter. It doesn't have to be that big I think. Will test it and comment.

@AlexTzone

- The original part you designed does not work well with pastic, as the vertice takes all the load and the piece starts bending outwards at the vertice.
- most of the side bracket can be removed as it does not play any mechanical function. All the mechanical load from holding the PSU straight is taken from the top screws up. So, from a space saving point of view, it can be removed.
- I also think the top bracket can be shortened alot. I am testing this.

- I still have no idea how the bracket secures to the case. :)

Hopefully you can redesign the bracket with these findings in mind. :)