MXM, there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. Formerly quite a popular mobile GPU form factor, even making it’s way into desktops like ASRock’s DeskMini GTX, MXM has been dying a quiet death as of late. Laptop manufacturers, in the pursuit of thinner and lighter, have forgone the format and gone fully embedded. (There’s also that rumour that NVIDIA themselves sentenced the form factor to death..) Minisforum, purveyor of smol, have unveiled their new Eyertec AD650i motherboard, an interesting combination of embedded CPU and MXM.
First up, the specs. The board comes with an embedded Intel Core i7-12650H (6P + 4E CPU cores, up to 4.70 GHz, 24 MB cache, UHD Graphics with 64 EUs, 45W PBP), dual DDR4 SODIMM slots (with support of up to 64GB), a lone M.2 NVME/PCIe slot and two SATA ports. Rear IO includes a USB4 capable USB-C port, a quartet of USB 3.0 Type-A ports, two HDMI ports, a 2.5GBe RJ45 port, antenna connectors for the Wi-Fi 6e/Bluetooth controller, and a DC-In jack (my...

Continue reading...

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
1st iteration will ship in November, the Ryzen 9 version is not yet offered. Although the Info alludes to a 7945HX version as well. The Wi-Fi slot looks to be pre-filled?? Not noted in specs.
Mini Forum ITX Board
Different board completely. This one has a soldered 12650H and an MXM slot

It'll interesting to see if a GPU will run in that MXM slot. I imagine an MXM3.0 RTX A5000 would make for a very sweet PPL but not sure how you'd power it... hmmm..

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
You are correct, that what I posted, is a completely different board, from Minisforum, with a more reasonable power delivery option and much less storage capacity.
The MXM board is listed and available, whereas the std ITX BD770I is pre-order only for expected Nov.

You will note there is a 4-pin molex on the top of the AD650I which is probably a pass-through alternate 19V power delivery in lieu of the DC jack. It is too bad that Larry at HD-Plex cannot make up a variable (12 to 19V) GAN version of his PS to use for things like this and other Thin ITX. (Of course, it would have to be non-load switching ie ON all the time)

Reactions: SFFMunkee

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Found some RTX 5000 MXM cards on sale if anyone wants to take a risk. Look up this part: daxw3ub7ca0

RTX 5000 and RTX A5000 are very different beasts, no? I'm not at all familiar with laptop/MXM GPUs

I imagine the hardest part is ensuring compatible cooling