Mini-ITX GPU-less AND upgraded Build (feedback/improvement request)

mlolm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Hi All,

I did my first mini-itx build and love it! So much in fact that I want to sell a few of them on ebay in my country. I was just wondering if you have any improvement suggestions. I have two versions a GPU-less "workstation" and a "gaming version". Things to keep in mind: I want to keep it quiet, and "lower-ish" energy consumption, hence why i didnt go with the max GFX card I could fit. But maybe you have suggestions here. Secondly, I want to keep the costs low, so not going for the biggest, most expensive components but rather best bang for your buck components as I will plan to sell a few of these.

GPU-Less (work machine):

Upgraded CPU and GFX Card (for work + gaming):

One idea I had was to swap out the 400w hdplex for a pisco since I dont think i need that much power in the GPU-less version and its a bit overkill, maybe there is a cheaper 150-200w pisco psu or something, could reduce cost and also open up more space in for airflow and viewability (case has transparent top).

Thanks,

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
My comments down below:
  • 32GB of RAM is pretty overkill if your going for budget friendly build
  • GT 710 for the "Gaming" is more a downgrade than anything, compared to the Ryzen5 3400G iGPU
If you want a cost firendly, small and energy efficient GPU ... I'd go with a GTX1050 or 1650 (maybe low-profile). This would be a real upgrade over the R5-3400G iGPU.

An an example, I'm running an i7-4785T + GT1030 (for light gaming). It's powered by a 90W Dell laptop brick. But if you want to play games in better conditions, I'd suggest stretching to at least 1050 level of performance, even for light gaming.

This is a workstation rig, using thin mini-ITX (builnt-in DC-DC) and Q series Intel chipset (for vPro and a few other features). The 35W CPU is cooled using a Tt engine27 and it does an excellent job with such low TDP CPU. It also has 16GB of DDR3L and a 500GB mSATA SSD, not a single cable. The GT1030 is plugged from time to time when I want to play (Path of Exile mostly).

If you do not need a discrete GPU, thin mini-ITX is great. The only "drawback" is that it is almost impossible to add a dGPU (except a few industrial motherboards that cost over 300€ or the very low TDP dGPU ... GT1030 at best ... or with powered riser and some modifications ...)

Here's a link to our Thin mini-ITX "fan club" thread: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/thin-itx-discussion-thread.10257/

Last edited:

mlolm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Maybe i didnt clarify, the build will not be a "super budget build" in terms of cost it will be mid to medium high. But any way i can keep the cost of the build low while still maximizing performance will mean more profit margin for me in the final sale. I will consider doing a "budget" version of the build next with all budget parts to see how cheap i can get it, but the two i linked above are not meant to be budget, still this should be a medium level workstation.

RAM - I built this system originally for myself and i'm a RAM abuser its what i value most and have tons of shit open constantly (i'm at 64% at the moment of my 32gb) so i'd keep that one at least for this version of the build. I even thouhgt of considering a 64gb-friendly mainboard but that i would agree with you is probably overkill.

Graphics Cards - Good suggestions. I thought upgrading to a faster processor (ryzen 7 3600x) + a dedicated GPU will still be an improvement over Ryzen5 3400g iGPU due to just having a dedicated card meaning the processor can work better independently. But good suggestion on a better card! I will consider this in the final builds. In general the gaming version I will offer is still a mini-itx rig, mid level really. No liquid cooling etc. I will research the cards you suggested, just needs to fit in my mini-itx case which is not the smallest case so it does have some decent clearance. However I thought of looking at passive cooling to keep the whole build super silent and hopefully lower power consumption (i am pitching this as a selling point).

This is a workstation rig, using thin mini-ITX (builnt-in DC-DC) and Q series Intel chipset (for vPro and a few other features). The 35W CPU is cooled using a Tt engine27 and it does an excellent job with such low TDP CPU. It also has 16GB of DDR3L and a 500GB mSATA SSD, not a single cable. The GT1030 is plugged from time to time when I want to play (Path of Exile mostly).

Did you mean to link a build here? Not sure which build youre talking about?

What do you mean by disrete GPU, I would put a low-profile card, preferablly passive cooling card in there for the gaming version.

Again I'm not looking to build a 2k+ mini-itx liquid cooled gaming rig, but giving customers the option to expand it's gaming capabilities by adding a GFX card with good price/performance ratio without impacting the build too much. If i add a gfx card i can also upgrade to a non iGPU processor too so I did that in the "gaming" version.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I was just giving advise based on my experience.

As for the GT710 ... it's a very very very low end graphics card. Ryzen5-3400G built-in GPU is on par with a GT1030 discrete GPU). Here is a comparison between a GT710 and a GT1030 :

If you want low profile, then GT 1030, GTX 1050 (ti) or GTX 1650 are your friends. I strongly advise to go check reviews to have a better idea. GTX 1050, 1050ti and 1650 are available in low profile form factor and do no need an additional power connector (PCIe bus powered only).

Ryzen 7 + dedicated (aka discrete) GPU will be faster than Ryzen 5 3400G on the CPU side, for sure ... but 3400G still is miles ahead of a GT710.

Overall, I'm all for silent and low power draw. This is a huge selling point for my eco-conscious mind ;).

mlolm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Thanks, good to know. I am wondering if i should sell the 710 i have but did not install yet. will check out your other card suggestions and report back on my thoughts and findings :)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
If I was looking at a workload only build and just needed something for monitor output the GT 710 would be fine but for any type of gaming I would want at least a GTX 1650.

mlolm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Yah 1650 looks good, wish they had a passive cooling version but i guess thats a bit too much to ask. Anyone know of the best low-profile passive cooling GFX card? Would that be the GT1030 or is there better?

mlolm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
The Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 Low Profile 4GB GDDR5 is about 10 euro cheaper then gigabyte. Is there much of a difference or are they essentially the same exact card? How big of a diff could this be...

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
About passive cooling, I do not know as my GT1030 is low profile and single soit (so actively cooled). There might be better option out there, but keep in mind that a passive GPU will need a good air flow inside the case.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'd go with a GTX1050

You mean GTX 1050 Ti.

Reactions: mlolm

mlolm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
OK thanks, then the answer is no.

Hey look at this:

Kind of excited...I hope it fits :) (It should but right now my case fans are sitting in the spot where it will go, so need to figure out if/where i can put my case fans now.

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
OK thanks, then the answer is no.

Hey look at this:

Kind of excited...I hope it fits :) (It should but right now my case fans are sitting in the spot where it will go, so need to figure out if/where i can put my case fans now.

Yeah there's almost no point in 2020 to get 1050. Get the 1050 Ti or 1650 like what @GuilleAcoustic mentioned.