Mini-ITX CUBE CASE Build yay!

CubeBucket

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2017
Hi there people! After years of really low-end desktop tower PCs, I dediced it was high time to save some space!!!

I still need some help in fans managment, so I opened a new thread in the proper section

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/little-cube-case-fans-setup-help.2913/

Here's my configuration:

- Vultech Case Cube X1-N

https://www.vultech.it/en/mini-itx/410-case-mini-itx-cubo-usb-30-no-psu-nero--8057284623274.html

23x23x26cm case! 4 plastic panels cover the metal structure of this bucket, with a 1cm clearance from it, so that there's some room for air intake. It supports full atx power supplies on the bottom and it spots on the front 2 audio output, 1 usb 3.0 and 1 usb 2.0. It comes with a 3-pins 12cm fan on top (held by a bracket that can be adjusted to fit a 14cm fan). Can also fit a mini GPU dual slot (max 21cm long...or 22). The built in connectors that go to the mobo (usb, power, hdd led, audio) are freakin short and there's not much room for a super clean cable managment, unless you have the guts to cut and mod these cables.

If you wanna see a video build log with this case, here's one from a kinda famous youtuber in my country...for italian speaking people, unfortunately.

- MOBO: MSI B150I gaming PRO

I choose the version without WiFi because I straight plug the router in the mobo. No overclocking for me, since I'm an occasional gamer.

- RAM: Ballistix 8GB DDR4 2400 in red

Yup, I went with a single stick 2400 because there was no price difference between this and the 2133. I might add a second stick in future, if needed.

- CPU: Intel Core i5 7500

I wanted a last gen CPU, I needed a nice integrated graphics card (GTA V at 30fps is kinda playable to an occasional gamer like me.....but wait.....). I didn't need an overclockable CPU and I needed one with an included heatsink. For online streaming, Photoshop/Lightroom and some games/emulators I guess it's more than enough. But some of you might suggest me a cheaper and more powerful CPU maybe.

- STORAGE: Samsung SSD 850 evo 250GB + Seagate 2.5 Barracuda 7200rpm 500GB

The SSD is obviously dedicated to the operating system and the few softwares and games I run. The old Seagate HDD from my previous pc is for backups and misc files storage. I have to say that in this case, if you use an ATX psu, THERE IS NO ROOM AT ALL for a mechanical drive. I cannot screw it anywhere in the case. I had to lay it vertically inside the case with some EVA foam spacers to reduce the vibrations.

- PSU: ATX Corsair 450w non modular

I wish I went with a modular small PSU, but it was a bit out of my budget. I managed to put the unneded cables on the bottom section of the case, behind the mechanical HDD

- MONITOR: LG IPS FULL HD 24" [24MP88HV]

I've been using LG monitors for 15 years. My first LCD was a 14" with integrated speakers. Then a 19" came in (no integrated speakers and no HD). and now again an LG. Nearly bezel-less with two nice integrated speakers.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

THE GRAPHICS CARD!!!

After a month of occasional gaming, I decided that it was high time to add a dedicated GPU. For the third time: I'm an occasional gamer and to me it's not worth to invest too much money in a super expensive GPU. I'm still waiting to receive this card and I guess that Amazon is gonna make me wait sometime.

That's why I went for the
Gigabyte 1050ti 4GB non oc : why Gigabyte? Because this is one of the few 1050ti 4gb mini that is able to shut its fan off when in idle (correct me if I'm wrong...or at least it was the only one that Amazon Italy had available) !!! Many others are stuck at 35% or 45% as I could read online. Since this rig will be used for limited power-hungry tasks for the vast majority of time, a loud GPU would have not been acceptable.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Final thoughts:

700,00 Euros total. Windows 10 was free because I had an upgradable genuine Windows 7 Home laying around from my previous PC. Acer sells a desktop PC with a standard 1050 2GB, 16GB ddr4 (I think 2133) and an intel i5 7400 for 1.000 Euros. I guess that mine is a win. Plus 180,00 bucks for the monitor.

Why no Gigabyte 1050ti 4GB OC: becase its price it's not justified to me. With a little effort you can get a 1060, that's ways too much for my needs at the moment.

Temperature: at the moment while gaming with no GPU the whole case looks like a microwave.

Noise: CPU when stressed gets a little noisy but nothing annoyng. The mechanical HDD vibrates and makes everything vibrate, this is my only complaint. I set it to shutdown when not in use.

If I should build this again I would go for a mini modular PSU.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Let me know !!! :)

Last edited:

CubeBucket

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2017
08-08-2017 UPDATE

The Gigabyte 1050ti 4GB has arrived!

I've already installed it and I can confirm that in IDLE, it stays completely silent !!! The fan doesn't even spin and the temperature is kept between 45 and 49 degrees Celsius.

While playing GTA V almost all maxed out I can get 39-62 FPS and it still stays silent even if the fan is spinning !!!

The last pieces I'm waiting for are a set of 3 case fans from arctic: two 8cm fans and one 14cm fan plus a SATA cable to power em up. PWM fans, obviously. I will have to drill 4 holes in front of the case structure in order to get the standard "front-in -- back-out" air flow.

And talking about temperatures: the CPU with it's own stock cooler and a single exhaust fan right over it, stays at 38-40 degrees Celsius while not gaming.

Reactions: AleksandarK