Motherboard Micro-STX motherboard availability

sheckta

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 14, 2020
Hi, i've just discovered the wonderfull world of STX motherboards yesterday night... i've seen some asrock motehrboards that have an MXM port for a GPU but ican't seen to be able to buy one of those motherboards anywhere unfortunately... could anyone help me track one down? i'd like to avoid buying a barebone or a complete pc just to get the motherboard as i wouldn't want to waste money and hardware...

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
The STX board with the MXM slot is an AsRock special for the DeskMini GTX series. You can't buy the motherboard anywhere and likely wouldn't want to, as you can't buy MXM GPUs anywhere but EBAY, and the MXM form factor itself is dead.

There are a few STX boards you can buy, but the cheapest way to get one is to just buy the AsRock DeskMini A300 or X300 and rip the board out. There are some Fujitsu boards you can buy from ODMs but usually they want you to buy in quantities of more than 1 :)

@Curiosity has done more research on this as well, but the basic gist is that STX as a form factor is not intended for a DIY audience like ITX is.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Ermac is correct. The only way I'm aware of to buy any board is oems for the fujitsu board, or barebones pcs (a300,x300, Intel variants) from asrock.
I will say, my opinion is that it's nice to have the a/x300 case to fall back on if you plans fall through, even temporarily. It also gives you a base you could use for a mobo tray, as well as a capable power supply.
Another point against MXM is that mxm gpus are significantly more expensive than their pcie equivalent. Iirc MXM 1060's at least used to cost as much as pcie 1080's, roughly.
M.2 to pcie works very well on the A300, and the A300 also very happy runs on 12v dc, if that's relevant to you.

Here's pic of my current a300 setup using a kajiggered g-unique Archdaemon to power the whole thing.

sheckta

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 14, 2020
nice! thanks for the replies! i'm quite disappointed though because i already had an idea in mind wich was to have like a laptop but in the usability of a desktop... because i don't wan't to deal with the space-taking pcie cards... even though as you said they are wayyy cheaper than MXMs :(

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
nice! thanks for the replies! i'm quite disappointed though because i already had an idea in mind wich was to have like a laptop but in the usability of a desktop... because i don't wan't to deal with the space-taking pcie cards... even though as you said they are wayyy cheaper than MXMs :(
Your best best would be to buy the DeskMini GTX/RX - if you can find one - and use that as a base. You will most likely not find anything piecemeal.

sheckta

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 14, 2020
That's what most people do i bet... With how rare this format is... oh well... I still have time to think about all those ideas with this new lockdown in france... My job went in limp mode just yesterday... anyway thanks everyone for your contribution! ?