Log Mega n00b build Q's - SM550 (Asus B550-I, 5600x, 3070 FE)

THadeTani

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Feb 16, 2021
Hey all!

First time PC builder here, let alone a SFF, but I know I wanted a small pc I could build myself so I came up with the parts list linked below. I've asked around on a few discords for tips, but since I don't really know what I'm doing yet I'd appreciate any guidance such as if something still looks off or will be a major pain to deal with.

There's also a few things I'd appreciate some specific help with:
  • Is there anything that would suggest I'll run into any temp issues? I'd like to fix that in advance if possible, and since I can't find an NF-A12x25 in stock that isn't stupid expensive as my 120mm fan I went with an Arctic P12 which I'm hoping is good enough. From what I gather setting both fans to exhaust through the bottom is the best option, but any other tips or recommendations for fan setup, cooling, or anything else like thermal pastes or w/e to make sure I don't build an expensive space heater that fries PC parts would be super helpful.
  • Since I opted for 2 vented sides, do you think I'll have major dust issues? Should I try and get the dust filters from Sliger's recommended producer? It seems the side panel filters are a custom order, and I'm not sure how well they'll fit, nor if the side or top/bottom filters would ever even be worth it, but it'd be nice to not have to clean the whole inside out super regularly.
  • I'm considering getting custom unsleeved cables, hopefully from DreambigbyRay when he gets back. From what I gather I'll need a 24-pin, an 8 (4+4) pin, an 8 (6+2) pin PCIe (or a custom 8 pin to 12 pin since my GPU is 3070 FE), and a SATA power cable for the AIO if I think I want that one custom too. Any tips for making sure the custom cables are the right measurements? Is taking a wire, trying to fit it the way you'd want it to be, marking it, then measuring the best technique? Or just trust what places like Dreambigbyray or pslatecustoms recommend? And I guess more importantly, are the custom cables really even worth it if you're only worried about thermals/ease of construction and not aesthetics?
Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $299.99)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Walmart)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($173.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card (Purchased For $499.99)
Power Supply: *Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.Black.swap 33.84 CFM 92 mm Fan ($19.89 @ Amazon)
Custom: Asetek 645LT 92mm AIO + AMD Kit (Purchased For $90.00)
Custom: Sliger SM550 (Black, 2 vented panels, USB 3.2 and 19 pin connector) (Purchased For $219.00)
Total: $1767.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-16 16:04 EST-0500

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
  • Your CPU cooler is overkill for a 5600X, but as they say.... overkill is underrated. You'll be able to boost very nicely with that. The Arctic P12 is a great fan; they make slim fans too now that perform just as good. Keep them as exhaust, like you said, and it'll be fine.
  • Dust is down to lifestyle. Do you have pets? I take electric compressed air to my case every ~3 months or so. If that sounds tedious, get filters.
  • I used a wire to judge my cable length. With the odd placement of the 12 pin on the 3070 FE, it's better to decide your cable run and measure yourself. While custom cables are not needed, I felt my build was incomplete until I got my cable runs nice and clean. *side note, if you go custom cables, do 2x8 pins to 1x12 pin cable. The 3070 boosts higher that way, and the cable is more future proofed.

On your parts list, I would avoid the ADATA SX8200. There are 3 variants of that exact SKU and part number, each one slower than the previous one. It's a real scummy move from a company.

Reactions: THadeTani