Completed Meanwell / Thin Mini-ITX Accessories : Load Switch and PCIe x4 Powered Riser

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Given the price, better stick to your $15 Acbel AIO 180W PSU ;)

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks but ripple looks a bit high at 240 mV...

Speaking of PSU, I attempted to finalise my WCed thin itx build this week-end, using a QM77 board and one of our riser, both powered by an Artesyn CPS-253M.

The dual 92 radiator is meant to cool an i7 3630QM ; overkill but it was just for testing purpose.

Unfortunately, just after finishing the build, I noticed that I had torn off two of the DC-LT pump wires (wires not properly soldered I reckon) just before I could actually test anything...

Still, I entered the BIOS just to check and yes, the system is running :)

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks ! That's the only thin-itx board with a full PCIe 16X board I know of !
Mobile Ivy Bridge i7 are pretty cheap nowadays (I got my i7 3630QM for 50€) and still perform at pretty decent levels.

I'm going to leave the GPU on air and cool the CPU with a double 60mm radiator, to downsize the case to 3.5L (including an internal open-frame PSU).
I'll start a proper log build for once.

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
I thought that you work for Meanwell, any way, your 12V load switch is a good idea, I will suggest to my customer your load switch solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: aquelito

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Look forward to your build log. You come up with interesting designs all of the time. This last case you mentioned gets me into thinking about a watercooled one-off on a smaller budget. SFF is great but when SFF and watercooling meet, it's very awesome.

Reactions: aquelito

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks guys ! Having me fun with these risers :)

I wanted to make a kind-of H2O Micro reloaded by watercooling both the CPU and GPU, hence the dual 92 radiator.
Honestly, this is way to complicated in 5L without custom waterblocks... also, the case comes a bit too large, losing the "thin-itx spirit" of the project.

Will start again in smaller form factor, by watercooling the CPU only.

@RoLexus : if you want want, I can put you in contact with the person that designed that load switch. He has all the necessary contacts to build larger quantities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and RoLexus

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
You 12V LS will be a option, I prefer buyer buy directly from you, I only order in special case. Any way, PM me your contact.
I'm actually seeking for some vendors who can fabricate my PCB design or design/ fabricate follow customer request.
You know, vendors from China, Taiwan, Korea.. are very strong.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I only had 3 of these load switches made. I sold one to @JarrettP who used it in his dual-PSU S4M.

I asked the designer I'm working with if I can share his contact ; will let you know asap.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
If you want some more inspiration take a look at this, here is a fully watercooled build, under 5L. Radiator is narrower, a triple 40mm rad, so that's why it can be that slim. Downsizing the radiator to a 60mm size is a good step, so I'd like to see how you pull it off.

Also, kind of a fan of getting the most out of small power supplies. Are you going to put an internal PSU in that case? It looks like you would be able to fit a 200W Meanwell in the space right beside the graphics card.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Yes I've seen this most impressive build !
I'm very picky with silence though !

I'm indeed planning to power the whole system with a 250W Artesyn CPS253-M PSU I already have :)
If it gets too hot, then I'll use @Kmpkt Dynamo 360 and an external AC Adapter.

Reactions: InfernoZeus