Completed Meanwell / Thin Mini-ITX Accessories : Load Switch and PCIe x4 Powered Riser

Limit Cube

Caliper Novice
Feb 4, 2017
The STX scheme is very simple, I used a Mingwei 12V power supply, 19V power supply to provide input to the motherboard required by the boost module, additional wiring supply power to the GPU, GPU to control the power supply through the fan hub connecting relay PA1A-12V synchronous opening and closing, boot electricity, power down.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Nice ! Even if I had the choice, I would still use the HDPLEX 19V combo (internal PSU + DC board) with a Mosfet switch : safer and fewer wires ;)

You're using the Vary.Tech riser, right ? Working good ?
I also have a powered riser from Vary (PCIe x4 to 16x) but they did not disconnect the +12V trace : when I power the riser, the motherboard makes weird things at boot...

Reactions: AleksandarK

Limit Cube

Caliper Novice
Feb 4, 2017
A fan hub with a touch switch makes the picture look like wires cluttered.
The step-up module is very stable. I have been testing it for more than 10 hours every day for 4 months.
At the very least, I think it's easy and convenient to use relays to control the synchronous opening and closing of GPU power supply, including the price.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Would it be possible, in theory, to use the load switch with two Meanwell power supplies in parallel with one of them dedicated to GPU power only?

The reason for this instead of using a single more powerful Meanwell unit is that the 300W and up units are too big to fit in my desired case. But having two of the 200W units, I could keep the footprint narrow and still have 280W of power available through passive cooling.

Here is the diagram of the setup I was thinking of:

One Meanwell EPP to power the GPU and another to power everything else. The load switch connects the GPU but the input 12V wire connects to the second Meanwell EPP. Should this work? The ground wires for the PEG connector will go to the second power supply.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Yes, using two Meanwell units in parallel is going to work ! This is actually the main reason why I had this load switch made.

I am going to run exactly the same setup as you, with one EPP-400 dedicated to two GTX 1070 and one EPP-300 for the system :

Both GPU +12V and GND wires (on the left) connects to the same PSU.

This kind of setup has alrady been tested successfully.
Hereafter a picture of the load switch plugged to two Meanwell EPP-400 units in parallel, each powering one R9 Nano !

Both +12V input wires "merge" into the load switch that is switching and redistributing power to both GPU.
The PCB can withstand 800W since traces are very short. The transistor itself is rated to 165A.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Well @aquelito as you may know I have now passed on Meanwell PSUs for the HP all-in-one PSUs, but the configuration idea remains the same. I currently have decided to get a Pico PSU and see how that will work. The load switcher still sounds like a good idea if I want to stack another PSU side by side.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Riser design : done
PCB will be ready for assembly by the end of the month.

- Input on the front side : either screw terminals or wires directly soldered.
- Output for GPU PEG connectors (if needed) : 8-pin Mini-Fit Jr.

Last edited:

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
1.Do they need to be powered or it is just going to depend on GPU?
2.Do you enable/disable GND and 12V with the turn of a screwdriver?

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
1.Do they need to be powered or it is just going to depend on GPU?
2.Do you enable/disable GND and 12V with the turn of a screwdriver?

Yes, these are powered risers and switch on/off the +12V current to the GPU (both slot and PEG +12V) when the PC starts / shuts down : this is the whole point :)

The input wires will be hooked up to both screw terminals using ring crimp terminals.
You can also simply solder the input wires to the PCB pads.

Oh wow, that's enthusiast problem-solving if I ever saw it ! Can't wait to see this in action !

Thanks !

I'm already using a load switch with Qinx riser (visible on the right, next to the Molex connectors).
The switch works very well.

The upgraded design will help reduce the cable clutter.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@duke00 I'm not sure to understand your question.
Do you want to know if we can provide a +12V PSU with this riser ?

There are plenty of options out there : AIO PSUs, Meanwell PSU, 12V AC adapters...

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I have two problems here: why a 8 pin, it's only 75W, isn't it? I am a bit sad with the 40mm , there's no way this will fit in an 1U or similar sized thin chassis :(

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
The riser will switch both the slot AND PEG power any GPU might need. That's why we added a 8-Pin power connector, to feed more powerfull GPUs..

For example, you solder / screw a single 12AWG input wire to the riser ; the riser will then switch and redistribute this +12V input to both the slot AND the 6-Pin / 8-Pin of the GPUs at startup.

Regarding the overall height, the riser top edge is 1 mm above a single slot GPU.
You cannot go any lower than that.
Bear in mind that the minimum overall height of a single slot GPU stacked over a thin mini-ITX board is around 47 mm.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
In this case why do you need a powered riser ?
This layout allows you to use a standard mini-itx MB, same as the S4 Mini ?

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
Sry my question was, can i buy one of this risercards (x4 to x16) ans what will be the price for it? Any options to use 19v input and not 12v ?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Those are looking really good! I'd like to get my hands on one, even if the card is just 75W.

Since those are angled inwards to make the card sit above the motherboard, can you tell me how much clearance is below for a CPU cooler? My thin mini ITX board has the CPU socket right below where the GPU will sit, so I'd want to know if my super slim 21mm cooler will fit there.